PDA

View Full Version : Upper Beach Villas / Upper Beach Estates - Conservatory Group

orangemonkey
2010-03-22, 12:41 PM
I just recently bought a property in this Upper Beach Neighborhood in Toronto's east end. While I did SOME research on the builder and the community, I still felt it was not enough. While the builder's reputation was not good, I did knock on some doors to ask what the experience was for those who have already moved in. It was mostly a positive response and we still felt it was a good investment so we went with it.

There is not much of a community online to talk about these townhouses, semis, and detached homes. So I was hoping we could come together here and talk about any problems you may have had, any positives, etc that would help other buyers and/or those in your own community so we can get the most out of our properties.

Please join me in a discussion about the Upper Beach Villas, The Upper Beach Estates, & The Conservatory Group so we can all have a better understanding of our homes / builder / investments / etc. Or just let some steam out.

Let's hear it.

orangemonkey
2010-03-22, 01:34 PM
Or just let some steam out. Or maybe you're interested in buying and have some questions.

butter
2010-03-29, 01:07 PM
I'm looking at some of the townhomes in that area more for investment purposes and proximity to work.

From what I saw with the builder's samples, the work looks pretty decent and they do use pretty good materials.

orangemonkey, where did you do your research and what did you find/not find?

butter
2010-03-29, 01:13 PM
just found this external link:

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/opinions-conservatory-group-436435/

orangemonkey
2010-05-04, 08:18 PM
I basically went around the phase 1 homes that were already occupied and asked for everything they could tell me. They shared with me they had fears about conservatory group going in, but all seemed to agree that the quality of these townhouses was above the grade that most people give conservatory group. This is in a higher end neighbourhood so they said that it seems they put much more quality and care with this project.

The price has already gone up on the phase I bought in and the last phase is yet to open. I would assume that the 3rd phase will have more upgrades included just as the 2nd phase had a little bit more included than the third.

Considering the area that it's in, the shopping that surrounds it, how close it is to the beach, the subway, the go train station, the library, 15 min drive to downtown. We are very satisfied and haven't moved in yet. The area is only bound to go up in price, it's a little suburbian type feel community in the city. Not for everyone but there is a large part of the market that is looking for just that.

orangemonkey
2010-05-25, 12:12 PM
Just received a letter in the mail delaying the closing date from September 1st to December 1st. This is really disappointing since we were excited about moving in before winter. Also, a very long extension on a project that seemed to be moving forward very quickly, but apparently it's not what it seems.

cloudysky
2011-02-07, 01:55 PM
Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents. I bought one of the phase 2 detached homes back in 2006/7 and stayed there for a couple of years until we moved out of country for work. I must say our experience wasn't a good one and we had major roof-leakage issue. The builder did send people to come fix the problem a few times but the leaking always started again after a major storm or if there was a lot of snow. At one point, the drywalls were all damaged and peeling, it was really horrible. While dealing with them was OK, I just can't believe for two years they could not pinpoint the problem, and had sent roofers at least 5 times within two years and by the time our house closed, it started leaking again. I don't know if the current owner got it fixed or what, but it was definitely a major issue in our unit.