PDA

View Full Version : Windows Not According to Floor Plan

dannywg
2010-07-10, 01:24 AM
It's 69 days to closing on my new Townhome. I just realized that one of two windows on the main floor (livingroom) is 30" from the corner window instead of 60" as indicated in the floor plan. I purchased over $1,000 of upgrades for network, power, cable and moving the chandelier to accommodate a 55" home theatre system to fit comfortably between the windows. When the electrician attempts to install the upgrades I'm sure he will be confused. There is no technical reason for the builder:confused: to move the window and I'm stuck with no wall for a TV on the main floor:( My neighbor's unit (behind) is the exact same model -only their windows are 60" apart as per floor plan. My windows and brick work is mostly completed. I sent an email (Friday evening) to the builder and am hoping that they will assist me. Are builders obligated to follow their own building design?

addtemp
2010-07-10, 01:42 AM
No they are not obliged to follow the floor plans they gave us. If you read carefully usually they always have it written in small print that this is only Architectural conceptual sketch and the actual layout might differ.

Having said that quite a few builders do listen and try to accommodate the changes if they can. Good Luck with it.

GregS
2010-07-10, 08:25 AM
It actually states window placements are 60" in your purchase agreement? Seriously? I have never ever seen that. In some cases you don't even get room dimensions.

dannywg
2010-07-10, 09:05 AM
No they are not obliged to follow the floor plans they gave us. If you read carefully usually they always have it written in small print that this is only Architectural conceptual sketch and the actual layout might differ.

Having said that quite a few builders do listen and try to accommodate the changes if they can. Good Luck with it.

Thanks for the encouragement addtemp. I'm guessing the deviation from the original design was a mistake on the part of the Trades and keeping my fingers crossed that the builder will assist me:)

alyna
2010-11-23, 12:11 AM

I agree with you. Floor plan could be different from the actual layout. This is also common,mostly builders accommodate any changes if they can!

chicaholic4ever
2010-11-24, 06:48 AM
At this point windows can't be moved.You can just talk to the electrician and revise your cables and location of your home theater before it's too late and you will have a high power outlet plug in between the windows and holes for conduits. Of course you can cover that up with a picture or painting later in but might look funny.