PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen/Dryer exhaust vent flapping in the wind?

MaxJay
2007-11-30, 05:04 PM
Our kichen exhaust vent flaps like crazy on windy days. Has anyone else had this problem? If you've been able to fix it can you pass along some words of wisdom?

It's driving me up the wall, lol.

mart242
2007-11-30, 08:37 PM
Just replace the POS builder installed vent by a better one. Home depot has some nice ones for ~20$ that have a weighted flap.

lilacs
2007-11-30, 09:24 PM
For a quick inexpensive fix, you can use the felt circles you use under chair feet....stick them on each flap to reduce the noise. You can also tape a couple of the flaps together.

Robin
2007-11-30, 10:15 PM
Ours does that and it has been driving me crazy too! Thanks for the suggestions lilacs and mart242 :)

mart242
2007-11-30, 10:45 PM
Keep in mind that if it flaps, it means that cold air is getting in your house. With the type of vent I mentioned, it doesn't happen.

miko1234
2007-11-30, 11:49 PM
For a quick inexpensive fix, you can use the felt circles you use under chair feet....stick them on each flap to reduce the noise. You can also tape a couple of the flaps together.

Definately don't tape the flaps together, this will not allow the air to get out, especially for your dryer where if you do this, you can create a lint build up.

Jason

patrob
2007-12-01, 12:24 AM
For a quick inexpensive fix, you can use the felt circles you use under chair feet....stick them on each flap to reduce the noise.

What we did, was had a custom vent cover built by my father-in-law (he's a welder:D ) from stainless steel to cover our flapping friends. But every sometime it still makes noise if the winds are pretty strong...so might just the felt circles :)

Jon & Kate
2007-12-02, 12:55 AM
Great ideas ... I called the builder and they whipped over and fixed it just like that ....

EmilyB
2007-12-03, 01:43 PM
Great ideas ... I called the builder and they whipped over and fixed it just like that ....

Wow, what did they do to fix it, Jon? And do you have a Mattamy home?

I just called Mattamy's warranty service office and they said there's nothing they can do. The noise is loud and constant with these windy days. We can't sleep at night!
:(
Emily

KJP
2007-12-03, 02:25 PM
My husband put the spongey sticky stuff on the outside and although we still hear it faintly, it's only when it's super windy and the house is really quiet...a lot better than it was before, when the noisy was driving me bonkers...

Jon & Kate
2007-12-04, 01:03 AM
Wow, what did they do to fix it, Jon? And do you have a Mattamy home?

I just called Mattamy's warranty service office and they said there's nothing they can do. The noise is loud and constant with these windy days. We can't sleep at night!
:(
Emily

It is a Mattamy home and it was the warranty service office too!!?? I believe the guy's name was Peter and that's for MOM. He said they chouldn't completely fix it but they would make it a lot better ..... and we haven't really heard it since. I can't say for sure what they did. If you still don't get anywhere, post again and I'll get the warranty rep we have and you can email him ....

EmilyB
2007-12-04, 08:56 AM
Hmm, very interesting - thanks, Jon! We're over in Wheler's and our rep is Theresa. We've sent a follow-up email to Mattamy so we'll see if anything gets done - I appreciate your offer and may come back to you for your rep's email addy!
Emily

Edit: the latest from Mattamy's warranty service rep that was by today is that if we buy the other type of vent covers (the ones with a hood), they will do the installation for us. Yet to be confirmed but we may take them up on that for the peace and quiet!

LenD
2007-12-16, 11:31 AM
Ours kitchen vent was flapping away last night and is a little quieter today, but still flapping!

I also mentioned this to Ray (Mattamy fixit guy) at our 6 month appointment with the builder but he said the same thing in a previous post - can't do much about it.

I will definitely look into doing something to make it quieter the spring - which seems like a lifetime away since it looks like a marshmallow-world out there today!

MaxJay
2008-04-02, 07:40 AM
Flap... flap... flap...

Here is a video link to what it's like.

object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ReMvYzAP24Q&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ReMvYzAP24Q&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

It may not seem like much but some days it is non-stop. All day and all night. It should be the builders responsibilty to correct this problem. You can see that there is enough force to lift the inside flap on the exhaust hood and sometimes there is even enough to spin the fan.

What really is upsetting is that Mattamy is inconsistent in the way that they're dealing with the customer service on this issue.

I would have replaced them long ago but the ground is sloped on that side of our house meaning that the vents are up quite high and there is quite a bit of ice and snow at the moment. We'll be addressing the issue as soon as it is safe to do so.

klmrobinson
2008-04-02, 10:10 AM
What really is upsetting is that Mattamy is inconsistent in the way that they're dealing with the customer service on this issue.

I would have replaced them long ago but the ground is sloped on that side of our house meaning that the vents are up quite high and there is quite a bit of ice and snow at the moment. We'll be addressing the issue as soon as it is safe to do so.

My understanding is Mattamy does not deal with exterior issues such as this in the winter. Especially this winter it would be hard to fix properly, just as you indicated you could not. And my understanding is that you moved in right before xmas (correct me if I am wrong) so they may have not been able to do anything yet. All the MOM people (above) moved in over a year ago so Mattamy has had time to fix it. As well last winter was ridiculously mild (for construction), there were only a few days that outside work was stopped due to weather, unlike this winter (I am so glad to see the snow gone :cool:).

Ours was bad the first year as well but not this year because of the eliminated the source of the problem. I, personally, prefer to find out what is causing it then just band-aid the problem wherever possible, but that is another story and another issue all together ;).

Mike :)

MaxJay
2008-04-02, 10:57 AM
Thank you for the comments Mike.

I wish that we were able to look forward to a Mattamy fix in the spring. I would not have posted this or even mentioned it if it was a matter of waiting a few months for the fix to come. We are reasonable people.

Mattamy has clearly indicated that they will not fix this issue ever!

They have also told us that they have never done so for others which we know is not correct as per the information on this board.

mart242
2008-04-02, 11:00 AM
Don't wait for them, do it yourself when it's nice outside. It will cost you 20$ and take you an hour. You'll know it will be done properly.

Rob and Kim
2008-04-02, 11:07 AM
You're not alone. We also complained about this on our 30-day and Mattamy refused to do anything for us. Luckily for us, it only happens when the wind is blowing a certain way--yours is really bad. We will be replacing ours this spring, too.

mart242
2008-04-02, 11:08 AM
And for this, we can blame builders wanting to save 5$ per vent..