BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community!

BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! (http://www.buildinghomes.ca/community/forums/index.php)
-   Building and Construction (http://www.buildinghomes.ca/community/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   get a permit or not for finishing my basement (http://www.buildinghomes.ca/community/forums/showthread.php?t=24205)

homie27 2018-03-18 10:20 AM

get a permit or not for finishing my basement

Hi all, I'm getting a company to finish my basement this summer. I'm wondering if I should get a building permit. They will not do anything structural. just putting up walls, flooring and some plumbing. they will be doing electrical work, but this part will have a permit. Most people seem to say that building permits just mean that the city knows you are adding square footage to your home and increase your property taxes. would you get a building permit for this? if I don't, do home inspectors come make sure everything is being done properly?

GregS 2018-03-18 10:46 AM

So you are considering not getting a permit for tax evasion?

homie27 2018-03-18 11:07 AM

is it illegal not to get a building permit?

homie27 2018-03-18 11:08 AM

do you know how much it costs to get a building permit?

xdarrylx 2018-03-18 12:29 PM

GET A PERMIT.

They aren't expensive and it gives you peace of mind. Also, if there is ever an insurance claim and they can't find a permit for your basement, there's a good chance they won't pay out. Also, when it comes time to sell and a buyer asks if the basement was done with a permit, what is your response going to be?

I'm even more concerned now that you're asking as a reputable contractor wouldn't have even brought it up - it would have been assumed and included in the cost.

GET A PERMIT.

homie27 2018-03-18 12:36 PM

they are charging $5k for a permit. is that what all contractors do? plus its going to take a lot longer to finish the basement because the city takes forever to do this stuff.

GregS 2018-03-18 01:15 PM

What part of "because the city takes forever to do this stuff" does that refer to?
Having done dozens of basements inspections can be scheduled within days.

And who is telling you $5K for a permit? The municipal office or the constructor?

homie27 2018-03-18 03:32 PM

contractor.

xdarrylx 2018-03-18 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homie27 (Post 331249)
they are charging $5k for a permit. is that what all contractors do? plus its going to take a lot longer to finish the basement because the city takes forever to do this stuff.

$5k? :confused:

In Ottawa it cost me $108 for the basement permit (from the city) and $~250 for electrical. Ask what you are getting for $5k...that sounds out of this world.

BartBandy 2018-03-18 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homie27 (Post 331249)

Stop talking to this contractor.