BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community!

BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! (http://www.buildinghomes.ca/community/forums/index.php)
-   Building and Construction (http://www.buildinghomes.ca/community/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   outlet works but.... (http://www.buildinghomes.ca/community/forums/showthread.php?t=24836)

homie27 2021-02-21 12:09 PM

outlet works but....

Hi all, I have a 15 amp outlet on its own circuit. on the bottom outlet I have a power bar and everything plugged into that power bar works fine. But on top outlet, it seems to work when low powered things are plugged into it like my Rogers Ignite tv box (for those not familiar with Ignite, its not an actual TV box, its more like a internet streamer). But if I plug in an amplifier to it, it doesn't work. But that amplifier works fine when plugged into the power bar which is plugged into lower outlet, on the same circuit. so why does that upper outlet only seem to work with lower powered things?

Mark & Lynda 2021-02-21 01:09 PM

Defective receptacle?

Power to the receptacle delivers 15 amps to the whole receptacle (unless it is a split receptacle). Only thing I can think of is a defective receptacle.

homie27 2021-02-21 02:10 PM

if it was defective, wouldn't it not work for anything I plug into it?

Mark & Lynda 2021-02-21 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homie27 (Post 339852)
if it was defective, wouldn't it not work for anything I plug into it?

Not necessarily. The top and bottom are connected to each other with tabs. The connection has gone bad somewhere and will need to be replaced

Was it working correctly in the past?
Is this a builder installed outlet?

homie27 2021-02-21 03:31 PM

I'm not sure it was working properly in the past. but its in my basement and I finished my basement in 2018. I could call the company who finished my basement, but they will charge me for this.

Mark & Lynda 2021-02-21 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homie27 (Post 339854)
I'm not sure it was working properly in the past. but its in my basement and I finished my basement in 2018. I could call the company who finished my basement, but they will charge me for this.

Maybe they installed a defective receptacle to begin with. Its a simple swap.

Call a handyman to replace the receptacle. It's a 5 min job

homie27 2021-02-21 10:41 PM

If it is defective, i can replace it.

homie27 2021-02-22 07:44 PM

What do you think of this outlet? Would it work? Notice where the prongs go in is indented. Is that a problem? The ones in my home are flat and so are power cables.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/hub...ory/1001413742

Mark & Lynda 2021-02-22 11:43 PM

I think it's way too expensive. You don't need it.

This is all you need.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/lev...ite/1000105628

Mark & Lynda 2021-02-22 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homie27 (Post 339856)
If it is defective, i can replace it.

Please make sure you shut off the breaker before working on any receptacle

homie27 2021-02-22 11:47 PM

ok thanks for the advice

homie27 2021-02-22 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark & Lynda (Post 339865)
Please make sure you shut off the breaker before working on any receptacle

LOL even I know that.

homie27 2021-02-24 03:52 PM

If I have two receptacles, can I plug in a surge protector in both of them provided I don't exceed 15 amps all together?

Mark & Lynda 2021-02-24 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homie27 (Post 339868)
If I have two receptacles, can I plug in a surge protector in both of them provided I don't exceed 15 amps all together?

Yes you can do that

homie27 2021-02-25 01:34 PM

would this outlet work to?

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/lev...ory/1001413746

oakvillehomeowner 2021-02-26 06:05 PM

yes, but why bother with the hospital grade plugs? they're designed to be installed with the ground pin up, and have colour coded dots that indicate which outlets are connected to backup power.

just buy the cheapest one they sell. they're all CSA/ULC certified.

homie27 2021-02-26 06:36 PM

I wanted something better for my home theater. Alot of people get hospital grade cause they are made better and grip the prongs better. Does it matter that the ground pin is up?

Mark & Lynda 2021-02-26 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homie27 (Post 339880)
I wanted something better for my home theater. Alot of people get hospital grade cause they are made better and grip the prongs better. Does it matter that the ground pin is up?

It won't make a difference to your home theatre. The $4.99 special will work just as well.

homie27 2021-02-27 11:27 AM

I know but it was only a couple of bucks more. right now I have the cheap $1 ones from home depot all over my house. they don't hold plugs well after a little while.

Halton Home Inspector 2021-03-05 07:39 AM

It does not matter if the ground plug is up or down but according the Google -

"With the ground pin on the top it provides a more stable connection. This ground plug does not carry current so it is less likely that a metal object would
come into contact with the live prongs."

In our kitchen the ground is at the top but in the rest they are at the bottom.

homie27 2021-03-08 04:49 PM

Hi all, so I got the receptacle and went to install it. I removed the existing receptacle and noticed that the screw hole at the top of the electrical box was damaged. the electrician who did the electrical in my basement used a bad electrical box. he knew it because he had to use a bigger screw to screw the receptable to the top of the box and wound a small piece of romex cable around the screw so that it would stay in. Now I can't screw the top of the new receptacle into the electrical box. I can screw the bottom part no problem. So I'm going to call them up and see if they can fix this, but I have a feeling I'm going to get some resistance. In the meantime, is it safe to just have the bottom of the receptacle screwed in, screw in the top plate and use the receptacle that way? so all the wiring is done properly, its just the receptacle isn't screwed down to the top of the electrical box, but the bottom part is. I can use a piece of tap to tap the top of the top plate onto the wall. I know this sounds crazy but it should work.

GregS 2021-03-08 11:46 PM

Have you verified that this electrical outlet is now functioning fine?

As for the electrician 'using a bad electrical box'.. most likely it was just fine when they put it in. But stuff happens between then and when they actually come to finish, so you do what you need to do to make it work.

Is this a metal box or a plastic box? Is it an inside wall or an outside wall?

homie27 2021-03-09 12:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by GregS (Post 339929)
Have you verified that this electrical outlet is now functioning fine?

As for the electrician 'using a bad electrical box'.. most likely it was just fine when they put it in. But stuff happens between then and when they actually come to finish, so you do what you need to do to make it work.

Is this a metal box or a plastic box? Is it an inside wall or an outside wall?

ya i put the power back on and it works. i did the wiring perfectly, its basic stuff.

no, the guy knew it was bad cause the screw he used to screw in the original receptacle was a bigger screw and he wrapped a piece of romex wire around it so the receptacle would stay in. at the time i didnt realize why he did that. i didnt see the damaged screw hole when i removed the bad receptacle. the box is metal. the new receptacle is screwed into it at the bottom, so if it needs to make contact with the box, it is.

the basement walls were already insullated to code so they didnt remove the insullation. instead they built the walls in front of the insullation. so that means all walls are inside walls.