BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community!

BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! (http://www.buildinghomes.ca/community/forums/index.php)
-   Building and Construction (http://www.buildinghomes.ca/community/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Humidity issue (http://www.buildinghomes.ca/community/forums/showthread.php?t=23831)

ali-gee 2017-04-18 12:30 PM

Humidity issue

I had a recent issue with humidity in the house. So I have a humidifier installed on the furnace and I kept the humidity close to 45% for the winter but with the recent weather change I noticed it jump to 55% !!!

Is this normal or do I have something faulty like the humidifier or something else?

GregS 2017-04-18 01:11 PM

Is the humidifier on or off?

ali-gee 2017-04-18 01:34 PM

Yes the humidifier is on for the entire winter and I still did not turn it off.

suezuki650 2017-04-18 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ali-gee (Post 323900)
I had a recent issue with humidity in the house. So I have a humidifier installed on the furnace and I kept the humidity close to 45% for the winter but with the recent weather change I noticed it jump to 55% !!!

Is this normal or do I have something faulty like the humidifier or something else?

Have you been opening your windows on the nice sunny days? I ask because my humidifier has been off all winter (new home) and until recently my humidity has been around 35%. After having my windows open a few nice days, it jumped to 45-50% for a bit.

ali-gee 2017-04-18 03:23 PM

I did open the windows briefly for couple of hours last week but that was it. In addition to the times the main and back doors open up for going in and out.

gerapau 2017-04-18 05:42 PM

It's completely normal. As air is warmed up the relative humidity drops. So in the winter outside air, which is already dry, is warmed quite a bit when it enters your home and becomes very dry which keeps your relative humidity levels fairly low in your home. As the temps warm up outside that air doesn't warm up as much when it enters your home so it isn't as dry so your home tends to get more humid. You shouldn't need to run your humidifier any more until late in the fall.

ali-gee 2017-04-18 06:28 PM

Alright thanks for the info. I already brought the humidifier level down a couple of days ago but it didn't do much for relative humidity level. I will turn it off completely today and report back soon.

Halton Home Inspector 2017-04-19 06:42 AM

IMO when it starts raining and stops snowing it is time to turn off the humidifier.

ali-gee 2017-04-19 09:00 AM

So the humidifier has been off since last night and the humidity level is still sitting at 52/53 this morning. I even checked at multiple places around the house and it still reads the same.

Not sure what is going on?

gerapau 2017-04-19 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ali-gee (Post 323945)
So the humidifier has been off since last night and the humidity level is still sitting at 52/53 this morning. I even checked at multiple places around the house and it still reads the same.

Not sure what is going on?

It is normal for humidity levels to be high this time of year. Especially with all the rain we have gotten. And if your home is new the problem will be greater. Look around your basement and make sure you don't see any water leaking in through the walls and if not I would simply get a de-humidifier and start running it until the levels come down.