BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community!

BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! (http://www.buildinghomes.ca/community/forums/index.php)
-   Ottawa (http://www.buildinghomes.ca/community/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Cowan’s Grove - Urbandale (http://www.buildinghomes.ca/community/forums/showthread.php?t=24154)

Buzz lightbeer 2018-02-03 05:02 PM

We also had briefly thought about upgrading the shower door as well but in the end couldn't justify the expense.
The pantry wall change is something that we're really happy we went with. I think it will really help make the kitchen feel larger and in the end, the cost to change it was pretty manageable.

We drove past this morning and got a look at the brick that was going on the end unit and it looks pretty good so far. I can't remember if we're getting the same colour on our row.

I agree that it's a little scary buying a home solely on floorplans and some digital imaging but we've had a great experience so far.

And yes, I believe I am the person who the sales rep was talking about.. It's been great to have someone close like that to bounce ideas of off.

cgyh1 2018-02-04 01:43 AM

I am still at structural changes phase, but have you guys had the options to change the tiles on the fireplace? I am not even sure if it is an option but if it is similar to the Franklin model they have in Riverside then it's not the prettiest. I thought it might be nice to upgrade it to all brick if I could but I am sure the cost would be enormous for the height of the fireplace.

On that note what do you guys think of the Calypso model vs. the Endeavour since they are very similar? I really love the option of the almost floor to ceiling windows with the Endeavour. I am hoping the windows (Especially the side one) in the living room of the Calypso allows for enough lighting.

Jord 2018-02-04 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgyh1 (Post 330384)
I am still at structural changes phase, but have you guys had the options to change the tiles on the fireplace? I am not even sure if it is an option but if it is similar to the Franklin model they have in Riverside then it's not the prettiest. I thought it might be nice to upgrade it to all brick if I could but I am sure the cost would be enormous for the height of the fireplace.

On that note what do you guys think of the Calypso model vs. the Endeavour since they are very similar? I really love the option of the almost floor to ceiling windows with the Endeavour. I am hoping the windows (Especially the side one) in the living room of the Calypso allows for enough lighting.

I think when the time comes at the design centre, the sky is the limit with what you can do around the fireplace. There is an Urbandale townhome on MLS right now in Riverside South that has the 2 story fireplace done in stone all the way to the ceiling. It looks great but must have been big $$$. We are talking about picking a standard tile surround and then painting the bump out all the way to the ceiling in a different colour. Similar to an accent wall just to make it stand out a little.

We like the Endeavour, but not enough to pay another 20k for it. I also like how the fireplace in the Calypso is centred with the front door, so that when you walk in, you're looking right at it. I love the loft in the Endeavour, but you can't get it with the 4 piece ensuite. With the Calypso end unit, you get floor to ceiling windows on all 3 walls in the living room. I guess I just like the symmetry of it with the fireplace in the centre.

When you can get a Calypso end unit with the extra windows on the one side, a wider lot, private drive way, 4 piece bathroom, and the mini loft upstairs when you move the laundry to the basement, for less then an Endeavour interior, the Calypso is much better value, in my opinion. You do get another 300 square feet with the Endeavour, so that's nice.

cgyh1 2018-02-04 01:28 PM

Oh yeah that's definitely a good point. I just also realized that with the Endeavour having the fireplace on the side, you really won't be able to put anything but a sectional there. I really loved the symmetry in the video of the calypso and how they have 2 sofas facing each other. I think for the ceramic around the fireplace, I would like to have it painted white (or eggshell) kinda like how they have it in the Champlain model home. I think if they brick upgrade is too expensive, this would be a nicer alternative.

I am also planning on adding potlights in the mini loft upstairs to add more light since I don't get a window with the interior Calypso unit. It is nice though that they are included in the kitchen, lower halls, and ensuite.

Jord 2018-02-04 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgyh1 (Post 330390)
Oh yeah that's definitely a good point. I just also realized that with the Endeavour having the fireplace on the side, you really won't be able to put anything but a sectional there. I really loved the symmetry in the video of the calypso and how they have 2 sofas facing each other. I think for the ceramic around the fireplace, I would like to have it painted white (or eggshell) kinda like how they have it in the Champlain model home. I think if they brick upgrade is too expensive, this would be a nicer alternative.

I am also planning on adding potlights in the mini loft upstairs to add more light since I don't get a window with the interior Calypso unit. It is nice though that they are included in the kitchen, lower halls, and ensuite.

Yea we are hoping to set up our couches the same way as the video. Hopefully they will fit! That's a great idea to add a pot light in the mini loft. You're right, it is really nice that you get some in the home already. I wish they came standard in the basement like the HN models. With the lower ceilings down there, I'm not crazy about having light fixtures. There are allot of really low profile/slim LED fixtures you can get now from Home Depot. Maybe we'll just put up a couple of those.

We popped into the design centre last week, we were really impressed by the standard finishings. I'm hoping the upgrades won't get too out of control when the time comes!

Buzz lightbeer 2018-02-04 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jord (Post 330393)
Yea we are hoping to set up our couches the same way as the video. Hopefully they will fit! That's a great idea to add a pot light in the mini loft. You're right, it is really nice that you get some in the home already. I wish they came standard in the basement like the HN models. With the lower ceilings down there, I'm not crazy about having light fixtures. There are allot of really low profile/slim LED fixtures you can get now from Home Depot. Maybe we'll just put up a couple of those.

We popped into the design centre last week, we were really impressed by the standard finishings. I'm hoping the upgrades won't get too out of control when the time comes!

Did you confirm with anyone that you would not have any pot lights in the basement?

Jord 2018-02-04 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzz lightbeer (Post 330394)
Did you confirm with anyone that you would not have any pot lights in the basement?

No I haven't. I just assumed we wouldn't since Urbandale says under features "Modern LED pot lighting in lower halls, kitchen and ensuite shower". You would think if pots in the basement came standard, they would have listed it there.

Buzz lightbeer 2018-02-04 08:35 PM

I feel like they may have made a few changes to the features page since we bought but we definitely have potlights standard in the basement. I suppose it could be possible that it’s changed because hardwood in the kitchen used to be included as well. Hopefully it’s just a case of it not being listed..

cgyh1 2018-02-05 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jord (Post 330393)
Yea we are hoping to set up our couches the same way as the video. Hopefully they will fit! That's a great idea to add a pot light in the mini loft. You're right, it is really nice that you get some in the home already. I wish they came standard in the basement like the HN models. With the lower ceilings down there, I'm not crazy about having light fixtures. There are allot of really low profile/slim LED fixtures you can get now from Home Depot. Maybe we'll just put up a couple of those.

We popped into the design centre last week, we were really impressed by the standard finishings. I'm hoping the upgrades won't get too out of control when the time comes!


I am pretty sure that potlights are not included as standard in the basement. It is unfortunate, but since they are included in the kitchen and lower halls and ensuite, that saves up some money to put them in the basement.

I can't confirm but I am sure that hardwood floors are not standard in the kitchen. the model floor plan shows tiles in the kitchen and it is mentioned in the agreement as well. I will be asking for a price quote for hardwood in the kitchen because I think it would look much nicer especially since the kitchen is open to the dining area and living room.

I am planning to drop by the design centre in the coming weeks to see the standard selection of hardwood colors. Were there any that caught your attention? I am hoping they would have something dark brown/grey similar to what they currently have in the Champlain model home in Riverside South.

uki 2018-02-05 10:18 AM

I bought a Santa Maria in Bradley Commons, have had a few design meetings already. In my case, the standard includes 3 pot lights in the basement. Also, there's no charge to swap the tiles in the kitchen with the standard hardwood selections (which there are 3 of them: light, medium, and dark oak stains).


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:18 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.