BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community!

BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! (http://www.buildinghomes.ca/community/forums/index.php)
-   Ottawa (http://www.buildinghomes.ca/community/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Phoenix Homes (http://www.buildinghomes.ca/community/forums/showthread.php?t=3223)

pinktulips 2007-03-09 08:40 AM

Phoenix Homes

Hey there,

Just wondering if any of you knew anything about Phoenix Homes. They seem to have great value for what they offer you. I'm just not sure what their reputation is and wanted to hear any positive/negative experiences you may have heard about or gone through with them.

mart242 2007-03-09 09:10 AM

Run my friend... run.. don't walk. run. That's what it used to be.

I'd say go knock on some doors of recently built homes and ask the homeowners. Maybe things have changed.

TSB 2007-03-09 10:11 AM

We just bought a Phoenix home, closing date of September 14, 2007.

We knocked on doors in Barrhaven prior to buying it, and everyone seemed happy that they bought it. No matter what builder you go with, nothing will be perfect. I have yet to hear of one builder where absolutely nothing needed to be fixed after the house was built. While the people we talked to had minor repairs, none of them had any major repairs, and said that everything was fixed quickly. One of the owners was on their second Phoenix home, and not one person we talked to regretted their decision in buying a Phoenix home.

I will say, however, that the staff at the Design Centre people are lacking in customer service skills.

Joseph 2007-03-09 12:13 PM

I have a close friend who is having a home built by Phoenix Homes in Barrhaven. So far, he has not had a very good experience with them. He has asked for a number of changes to the floor plan of the house they are building. According to him, Phoenix is not interested in making changes (he is getting them to move some windows around in some rooms, better use of space to include a closet, etc). But, what he wanted (and Phoenix had agreed to do) is not what the trades people are doing. So there is a lot of "frustration" on both side.

As with a lot of other builders, as long as you do not need changes to the floor plan (except maybe for some minor things), things should go well. In the end, the quality is only as good as the trades people working on it and the building supervisor overseeing the work for your new home.

GreyingJay 2007-03-09 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joseph (Post 26682)
I have a close friend who is having a home built by Phoenix Homes in Barrhaven. So far, he has not had a very good experience with them. He has asked for a number of changes to the floor plan of the house they are building. According to him, Phoenix is not interested in making changes (he is getting them to move some windows around in some rooms, better use of space to include a closet, etc). But, what he wanted (and Phoenix had agreed to do) is not what the trades people are doing. So there is a lot of "frustration" on both side.

As with a lot of other builders, as long as you do not need changes to the floor plan (except maybe for some minor things), things should go well. In the end, the quality is only as good as the trades people working on it and the building supervisor overseeing the work for your new home.

You'd think that after hundreds of years of building houses, we would be good at it by now :)

I suspect it is this sort of reason (and their added hassle, cost, time, stress) that certain builders have simply adopted "no changes allowed whatsoever" policies, or provide only specific sets of changes rather than having things customized to each house. Of course, then we buyers complain about the lack of flexibility... :rolleyes:

pinktulips 2007-03-09 02:01 PM

Hmm, thanks for the replies. Sounds like I will definitely have to do some more research. I'm thinking of the Notting Hill site in Orleans. Will try and ask around at their Deer Run location.

TMA28 2007-04-09 03:39 PM

I currently live in a Phoenix house. It did have some poor craftmanship but Phoenix did fix most of the problems. I've got to say that the fine detail in Phoenix isn't there but for the most part, the house isn't too bad. I think their designs are very open and you get a lot of space for your buck. They did delay in the closing date but did offer compensation.

ShowStopper 2007-04-30 09:48 PM

They are one of THEE worst builders in Ottawa. They are notorious for NOT paying their trades. Apparently all of their trades at Brookside left because they didn't pay them. Drive along their street there, they don't have ONE house started and are delaying ALL of their customers. Someone in my office was dumb enough to buy from them.

TMA28 2007-04-30 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShowStopper (Post 28921)
They are one of THEE worst builders in Ottawa. They are notorious for NOT paying their trades. Apparently all of their trades at Brookside left because they didn't pay them. Drive along their street there, they don't have ONE house started and are delaying ALL of their customers. Someone in my office was dumb enough to buy from them.

I don't think Phoenix is that bad nor would I reccommend them but I also wouldn't reccommend a lot of other builders. I know Phoenix is good with delaying their closing dates. I currently live in a Phoenix house right now and its just as average as richcraft and etc.

aikejon 2007-05-01 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mart242 (Post 26665)
Run my friend... run.. don't walk. run. That's what it used to be.

I'd say go knock on some doors of recently built homes and ask the homeowners. Maybe things have changed.

I did this last fall in Barrhaven (I may have posted this elsewhere).... one should still run.... the stories of delays and workmanship were the worst I've ever heard... the guy said that Phoenix even sued a recent owner (neighbour) to get her to shut up.... how bad does THAT have to be....

The first Phoenix site I looked at was in Deer Run, and the rep told me that I wasn't allowed to speak to the owners around the corner because they got angry when people hassled them. I first thought that it would be normal if hordes of people showed up at your doorstep asking silly questions.... but then I did that for other builders in other developments and found that people were generally happy to answer questions about their new homes. I know now why the Phoenix homeowners were angry....