BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community!

BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! (http://www.buildinghomes.ca/community/forums/index.php)
-   Home Technology and Electronics (http://www.buildinghomes.ca/community/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Home security system recommendations (http://www.buildinghomes.ca/community/forums/showthread.php?t=22528)

royc 2014-07-08 03:28 PM

Home security system recommendations

Hello all,

Even though this topic has been discussed in the past, I couldnt find any recent discussions and so started this thread. Any recent recommendations for a home alarm provider? I am looking at Reliance protectron, Alarmforce, etc. Alarmforce has had some negative reviews in past threads, any improvements in their service? Any and all comments appreciated. Thanks.

WellThatsLovely 2014-07-08 05:31 PM

People in my neighborhood swear by big, scary dogs... we live in an expensive part of the city so you'd think people with expensive things (I wouldn't know, I'm not one of them lol) would have pretty decent alarm systems but at 9am all you see walking down the street are German Shepherds and Dobermans
The alarm people seem to get broken into on a regular basis but not so much the dog people.
...and with the assortment of responses I've seen to various alarm companies, I know of a few I wouldn't recommend.
...the one we have (had?) right now I would definitely not recommend because they're about to sue us (how annoying that you pay a company thousands of dollars to protect your home and then they turn around and rob you lol)

contrad 2014-07-09 03:22 PM

+1 for dogs and loud alarm sirens.

London2Ottawa 2014-07-09 07:45 PM

Home metal

Photogineer 2015-03-25 02:02 PM

What are you thoughts on outdoor sirens during a break-in?

GregS 2015-03-26 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Photogineer (Post 299725)
What are you thoughts on outdoor sirens during a break-in?

Usually outdoors we do flashing lights.

Outdoor sirens may be fun and all, however you are only allowed to let them run for 4 minutes. After that your neighbours have the right to complain of noise disturbance.

dheeraj.arcot 2015-06-10 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GregS (Post 299800)
Usually outdoors we do flashing lights.

Outdoor sirens may be fun and all, however you are only allowed to let them run for 4 minutes. After that your neighbours have the right to complain of noise disturbance.

We have reliance protectron and previous to that was alarm force. no difference between them... its basically which brick do you pick to hit your head in my case.

I have voip phone and they had to assemble some gsm unit or something. I'm 0 technical person. My home phone has been a biggest challenge since they added a wire to it. both the companies we had the same problem.

The new home I'm building I will definitely go with some centralized and super security system. And a MASTIFF at home (yet to convince my wife ;)

GregS 2015-06-10 05:47 PM

Public internet VOIP is not suitable for alarm communications.
If faced with that we always recommend a cellular communicator.
There are many creative things that can be done with a system that is designed for the home instead of a system that is designed for a 'no-charge install monthly fee'