BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community!

BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! (http://www.buildinghomes.ca/community/forums/index.php)
-   Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance (http://www.buildinghomes.ca/community/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Patio stones (http://www.buildinghomes.ca/community/forums/showthread.php?t=24099)

alwaysonnet 2017-11-01 12:54 PM

Patio stones
 
2 Attachment(s)
Is there any code for patio stones? See attached picture of patio stones laid out by the builder. They pose safety risk for anyone who are walking over it. any thoughts on this?

xdarrylx 2017-11-01 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwaysonnet (Post 329154)
Is there any code for patio stones? See attached picture of patio stones laid out by the builder. They pose safety risk for anyone who are walking over it. any thoughts on this?

To what safety issues are you referring? The raised "bump"? The distance between steps? :confused:

Halton Home Inspector 2017-11-01 04:34 PM

If there are any trip hazards on your patio stone walk then you could put that on your one year list but beyond that you are on your own. This is not noted as an issue within Tarion Rules. This is a maintenance issue.

alwaysonnet 2017-11-01 04:35 PM

I would say everything
  • Raised Bump
  • Gap between stones
  • Stone lifts up itself when stepped on the corner
  • Minimal coverage into porch area. Ideally, there should be at least 4-5 stone width

alwaysonnet 2017-11-01 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halton Home Inspector (Post 329161)
If there are any trip hazards on your patio stone walk then you could put that on your one year list but beyond that you are on your own. This is not noted as an issue within Tarion Rules. This is a maintenance issue.

Stone raise and risk of tripping when stepped on the corner. Alignment gets disturbed and using my boot, I need to kick the last stones to align them in straight. In particular, last stone leading to the driveway looks very dangerous. I hurt my left shoulder yesterday and few kids were at risk yesterday night when they accidentally stepped on the edges of the stone.

gerapau 2017-11-01 07:56 PM

When did you buy your home?

Mark & Lynda 2017-11-01 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwaysonnet (Post 329163)
Stone raise and risk of tripping when stepped on the corner. Alignment gets disturbed and using my boot, I need to kick the last stones to align them in straight. In particular, last stone leading to the driveway looks very dangerous. I hurt my left shoulder yesterday and few kids were at risk yesterday night when they accidentally stepped on the edges of the stone.

Add some lime stone screening under the corner of the stone or remove from the center of the stone to reduce the tipping from side to side.

I don't think these builder supplied stones are really meant to be a permanent fixture. Most times they are tossed in the garbage and replaced with a professionally built walkway.

HeavyLifter 2017-11-02 03:12 AM

Stone slabs like those all tend to shift after they are initially put down. They will get worse over time until they settle and the ground underneath no longer compacts. As was previously stated just put some limestone down at the low corners to stop the slabs from rocking back and forth.

alwaysonnet 2017-11-02 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerapau (Post 329167)
When did you buy your home?

I moved in May 2017


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:34 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.