BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community!

BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! (http://www.buildinghomes.ca/community/forums/index.php)
-   Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance (http://www.buildinghomes.ca/community/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Strange stains and filter looks dirty (http://www.buildinghomes.ca/community/forums/showthread.php?t=24124)

alwaysonnet 2017-11-30 01:33 PM

Strange stains and filter looks dirty

2 Attachment(s)
For the past few days, I am noticing that carpet became dirty near heating vents / registers. HVAC filter is so dirty and black soot is formed on the filter. I am concerned of what could be the possible issue. I moved into new home in May 2017. any ideas / suggestions to take necessary action.

PS: Images are not actual but they looks exactly same in my home

GregS 2017-11-30 01:46 PM

That is not normal unless it was there before you moved in. Construction debris can cause issues, however if you changed your filter regularly then nothing should be like that.

I would recommend contacting your builder and asking them to have a look at it. It suggests there may be something going on with your HVAC system.

alwaysonnet 2017-11-30 03:12 PM

3 Attachment(s)
These are real photos from my home. I contacted the builder and left a voice mail. :confused: No call back yet.

Mark & Lynda 2017-11-30 09:14 PM

Have you ever changed the filter? May to Nov is 6 months and if you've never changed the filter it could possibly be 9-10 months old assuming the furnace ran in the winter during construction.

The filter should be changed quarterly (every 3 months).

alwaysonnet 2017-12-01 09:14 AM

I change them bi-weekly to monthly. At first, I used filters from Costco and they are little pricy. When the filters are getting fast dirty, I switched to filters from Home Depot and changing them very frequently.

dvg 2017-12-01 09:33 AM

yikes. no idea what could be introducing all that into your house.

Not that this is the solution, but Id recommend the cheapest filters available at walmart. I didnt like how the rock catchers at home depot have no real filtering at all, but didnt want anything too fine as to stress the furnace blower. The basic pleated filtrete filters at walmart are a happpy medium

TKG26 2017-12-01 11:01 PM

have u resently started to burn candles?

Some candles create soot that can cause this mess on filters

Halton Home Inspector 2017-12-03 07:27 AM

Black mold on the AC evaporator coil, carbon monoxide from your furnace, a poorly vented wood burning fireplace, or soot from candles can all cause black filter. You need to either stop burning so many candles, or call a chimney sweep, or call for furnace service asap.

alwaysonnet 2017-12-04 02:32 PM

Nope. We never burn candles inside the home.

From the builders rep, I understand that burner in the furnace needs an adjustment. I am waiting on the HVAC contractor appointment.

good2know 2017-12-05 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwaysonnet (Post 329564)
Nope. We never burn candles inside the home.

From the builders rep, I understand that burner in the furnace needs an adjustment. I am waiting on the HVAC contractor appointment.

I don't see how a burner problem can cause this or how an adjustment can fix what you are seeing. Your furnace vents to the outside in a closed system. Suggest you check the outside pipe. Is it black with soot on the inside?

I'm wondering if your heat exchanger is cracked allowing combustibles and soot into the air distribution system.

What is causing black crud to get on the filter and blow through the whole house? And how does that happen in the summer when the furnace isn't running?

Do you have an hrv running? Check for black crud inside there.

Also check your hw heater exhaust for black crud inside its pipe.