BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community!

BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! (http://www.buildinghomes.ca/community/forums/index.php)
-   Ottawa (http://www.buildinghomes.ca/community/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Cowan’s Grove - Urbandale (http://www.buildinghomes.ca/community/forums/showthread.php?t=24154)

Jord 2018-01-17 02:32 PM

Cowan’s Grove - Urbandale

Hello!

My wife and I have purchased an Urbandale townhome in the recently launched Cowan’s Grove community. Looking forward to connecting with others who are interested in or have also purchased a home in this community.

Jord

canddcg 2018-01-20 03:17 PM

Hi Future neighbour,

We bought a Santa Maria townhome here too. We are closing March 2019. We will be at our structural changes deadline soon. We are new to home buying and would like to chat about what structural changes you are considering.

Jord 2018-01-20 07:33 PM

Nice! So exciting! I'm glad there are others on here who have bought in Cowan's Grove. I love the Santa Maria. We've been watching the first one go up in Riverside South. The windows are huge!

We bought a Calypso end unit. We don't close until July 2019.

We have decided to move the laundry to the basement, and make an office nook/loft space where the laundry room was supposed to be. We're also going to have the ensuite shower tiled and extended 1 more foot. That might be it for structural changes for us!

What are you guys thinking so far? We are going to the design centre tomorrow to get an idea of the finishings.

canddcg 2018-01-21 02:37 PM

we were thinking to delete the closet in one of the bedrooms and add double door, but now i think we might just leave it as is.

we were also going to make the ensuite shower bigger by a foot and tile it....i am just reading my purchase agreement to see what is included as standard.

we love the calypso too...we have looked at the youtube video of it many many times :) we went with santa maria because of double garage

cgyh1 2018-02-01 07:51 AM

Hello potential neighbors

I am in the process of purchasing a Calypso interior unit. For upgrades, I have decided to go with basement laundry and revise the original laundry space to an office. I am thinking of upgrading to hardwood floors in the kitchen (I think it is currently ceramic tiles) but will need to find out how much it would cost first.

Jord 2018-02-01 12:43 PM

Hello fellow Calypso purchaser!

It's interesting that you've also decided to turn the upstairs laundry into an office. The laundry room upstairs is a poor use of space in that layout, in my opinion. I really liked how all of the HN models had an office nook upstairs. Were you thinking of leaving it closed off, or opening it up? We are still waiting for a price on it, but I think we will most likely do it. I'm hoping it won't affect resale value by moving the laundry to the basement. In any case, the office nook adds more value to us so we're going to do it.

When do you close? I think you may have purchased the first interior unit town home in the development. They're selling quite well considering they launched in the middle of winter and have done little to no marketing. I guess the demand is there at this point in time.

Good to meet you!

Jord

cgyh1 2018-02-01 12:52 PM

Yes I did not like the laundry room upstairs. since it is an interior unit, I won't have a window there so I will most likely have the wall on onto the stairs converted into a railing. I have yet to receive pricing either.

Jord 2018-02-01 01:00 PM

Nice. Yea they were thinking it would be $2,000 at most when we were last talking about it. We are on Rathburn in Block 14 by the way. I'm a little nervous to see what Claridge will put up at the end of our street. I find it really strange that they have that strip of land on the northern tip of the development.

Have you seen the first Calypso going up in Riverside South on Dolce? It's an interior unit as well. They have all of the doors and windows in them now. They're looking really nice

Buzz lightbeer 2018-02-02 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jord (Post 330332)
Have you seen the first Calypso going up in Riverside South on Dolce? It's an interior unit as well. They have all of the doors and windows in them now. They're looking really nice

We happen to be the lucky owners of the first Calypso! We drive past it every day but never thought that there might be other people interested in its progress.
We decided to keep the laundry room upstairs but deleted the tub in the master bath while tiling the shower in he larger 5x3 option. In the kitchen, we took the bank of pantry cabinets and turned it into upper and lowers with the quartz counter and subway tile backsplash.

If either of you guys have any questions we'd be more than happy to try and answer them.

Jord 2018-02-03 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzz lightbeer (Post 330366)
We happen to be the lucky owners of the first Calypso! We drive past it every day but never thought that there might be other people interested in its progress.
We decided to keep the laundry room upstairs but deleted the tub in the master bath while tiling the shower in he larger 5x3 option. In the kitchen, we took the bank of pantry cabinets and turned it into upper and lowers with the quartz counter and subway tile backsplash.

If either of you guys have any questions we'd be more than happy to try and answer them.

Pretty soon we'll need to start a Calypso thread!

My wife and I wanted a Calypso on Dolce, but by the time we had decided, they had already sold out! That's when we jumped on the first release at Cowan's Grove. We loved that the lots on Dolce all backed onto the South. You will get so much light through those living room windows!

I met a sales person at the Urbandale sales centre who's son had bought a Calypso on Dolce. Is that you?!

That's a neat idea what you guys are doing with the pantry. We'll have to keep that in mind. We're also going to have the ensuite shower tiled. We really don't like those acrylic inserts that come standard. And for only $300 more, it's definitely worth bumping it out another foot. We're getting prices on having a tiled bench in there as well. We aren't crazy about the Maxx door that comes standard, but she said it would be about $700-$800 to get the two way pivoting glass door so I think we'll pass on that.

I drive past your home just about every week day! I've enjoyed seeing the progress. It's a little scary purchasing a home that's never been built before, but I'm really liking what I see so far! I noticed they were starting to lay brick yesterday on the end unit in the block next to yours.