BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community!

BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! (http://www.buildinghomes.ca/community/forums/index.php)
-   Ottawa (http://www.buildinghomes.ca/community/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Garage door opener - who is reasonably priced? (http://www.buildinghomes.ca/community/forums/showthread.php?t=24392)

Martin_RRR 2018-11-14 02:18 PM

Garage door opener - who is reasonably priced?

Hi,

Specs:

Double garage (Garaga). Dedicated electrical outlet already in place for the garage door opener. Not sure if I should buy from Costco and get someone to install it or get a company to quote everything.

Thoughts?

Thank you in advance!

Regards,

MR.

xdarrylx 2018-11-14 03:25 PM

Reasonable deals are ~$200-$300 for a 1/2HP unit with most of the standard items (keypad inside and out, remote(s) and hardware). Often times a bit extra for brackets depending on where it is going to be installed...speaking of which a general cost is ~$150 for install.

Ballpark figures but it's been a while since I had to do that so others might have more up-to-date figures.

Good luck! :)

Martin_RRR 2018-11-14 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xdarrylx (Post 334781)
Reasonable deals are ~$200-$300 for a 1/2HP unit with most of the standard items (keypad inside and out, remote(s) and hardware). Often times a bit extra for brackets depending on where it is going to be installed...speaking of which a general cost is ~$150 for install.

Ballpark figures but it's been a while since I had to do that so others might have more up-to-date figures.

Good luck! :)

Thanks Darryl - always helpful!

-Mart

uki 2018-11-14 05:02 PM

I'm going with amigodoor since they're the ones installing my garage door (they install garage doors for Richcraft and Urbandale). $450/garage door installed, using LiftMaster 8355. Can't speak of the service quality yet since my service is only scheduled for the end of this month.

stittsville resident 2018-11-14 05:19 PM

I also went with Amigo door. It's not installed until next month, but their price and reputation seemed decent. I contacted about 10 other installers and ended up that I got the same package as poster above.

Sarah2012 2018-11-15 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin_RRR (Post 334779)
Specs:Double garage (Garaga). Dedicated electrical outlet already in place for the garage door opener. Not sure if I should buy from Costco and get someone to install it or get a company to quote everything.

I would recommend getting a quote for just installation from someone and waiting for the flyers to come for Black Friday. You are in a great position to get an awesome deal! Then, if you don't see something you like, you can never go wrong with Costco IMO.

We got our Chamberlain from Canadian Tire on some awesome sale. If you have the chance to buy one of the Whisper Quiet ones, do it - ours is so quiet every person near it when it opens or closes mentions how wonderful it is. Doesn't disrupt the room above it either. Totally worth it!

suezuki650 2018-11-15 09:51 AM

At the time I bought, I got a good deal from Home Depot on this one: https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.w...000858813.html
which was overkill as far as power, but I liked the battery backup and the link to the phone app. I have an 'event' programmed that will shut the garage door at 11pm. This is great for those of us who are sometimes forgetful. At the time installation was $100, which is great. I've had other Chamberlain garage door openers and I've been happy with them.
That said, the best deal for you may depend on what everyone is offering at the time. I was lucky and was able to purchase the 'deal' before I took possession and then scheduled the installation after I moved in.

Martin_RRR 2018-11-15 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stittsville resident (Post 334786)
I also went with Amigo door. It's not installed until next month, but their price and reputation seemed decent. I contacted about 10 other installers and ended up that I got the same package as poster above.

Thank you everyone for the input and sharing your experiences! I appreciate it very much.

I've contacted Amigo and will book an appointment. I'd rather get the company to perform the install and provide the hardware (including wireless keypad entry) for the warranty and piece of mind. I also want it installed asap and don't want to waste time looking for sales (family time > sales).

Merci / Thank you again!

JCC 2018-11-15 10:06 AM

A little tip -- if your garage is below a bedroom, make sure you install a belt garage door opener, not a chain. With a chain, if the garage door is opened below a bedroom, it'll be incredibly loud.

You can also always buy one at costco/canadiantire/homedepot on the black friday sale and have someone come install it. It'll be cheaper.

uki 2018-11-15 11:06 AM

Also, differences between Chamberlain and LiftMaster (one company, different product lines): http://garagly.com/liftmaster-vs-cha...-door-openers/.