BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community!

BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! (http://www.buildinghomes.ca/community/forums/index.php)
-   Real Estate Questions (http://www.buildinghomes.ca/community/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Does a fireplace really increase house value? (http://www.buildinghomes.ca/community/forums/showthread.php?t=24128)

SuperBobby 2017-12-04 01:14 PM

Does a fireplace really increase house value?

Hi,

I just bought a new construction and wondering if spending 5000$ for a gas fireplace in the great room is really worth it.

Gaz fireplace does not have a good efficiency and can not replace a gas furnace. But if I spend 5K and don't use it much, will it return more than what I paid in my pocket the day I sell my house?

Tks

suezuki650 2017-12-04 08:25 PM

A fireplace with a fan (my fan will run on batteries if need be) will keep the main floor at a reasonable temperature. It would work in an emergency situation (ice storm for example), but wouldn't heat your whole house to normal temperatures.

Whether you'd get the money back would depend on the buyer and the market. I love a fireplace and the upgrade, though expensive was worth it in my mind. When I was looking at resell, it was one of my criteria. Friends of mine would prefer not having a fireplace as having one limits where you can put furniture.

My answer, if you think you'll use it, do it. If you don't like 'em, then don't.

xdarrylx 2017-12-09 09:47 PM

It's almost standard now that houses come with at least a fireplace, if not a 2nd. I'd be pretty disappointed if I was looking at a place that didn't have one - sort of a turn off for me...plus living in Canada wouldn't you want one for yourself until you decide to sell...just to be able to sit in front of over the holiday season? :)

SuperBobby 2017-12-09 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xdarrylx (Post 329632)
It's almost standard now that houses come with at least a fireplace, if not a 2nd. I'd be pretty disappointed if I was looking at a place that didn't have one - sort of a turn off for me...plus living in Canada wouldn't you want one for yourself until you decide to sell...just to be able to sit in front of over the holiday season? :)

If it was for a real wood burning fireplace, I will agree. But a gas one would never replace the heat, sound and smell of a real one. I better then pay for a 500$ electric fireplace rather than a 5000$ gas one. I am really wondering what make people so exited about a gaz heater. The decoration(Bricks, tiles...) that surrounds the area around maybe? If it was at least efficient, I might go for it though.

I miss the old time with the real thing.

SuperBobby 2017-12-09 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suezuki650 (Post 329585)
Friends of mine would prefer not having a fireplace as having one limits where you can put furniture.

The space for furniture is a good criteria not to have one. Thanks for the tips.

BrianT 2017-12-10 10:14 AM

If two near identical houses were put up for sale, one without and one with a gas fireplace, then the house with the gas fireplace could have a higher asking price. Will it be an extra $5000, who knows?

TKG26 2017-12-11 06:07 AM

I would argue a gas fireplace heats a space much more efficiently.. Zero flue loss and you won't be bothered by the insurance company for proof of chimney inspections

TKG26 2017-12-11 06:16 AM

The placement of furniture is a big one.. It has limited us greatly in our living room.. Especially with a sectional

SuperBobby 2017-12-12 12:53 PM

After looking at new houses, I realize that many have a fireplace. I believe it could be for numerous reasons :

-People feel cheap not to have one since everybody else have one
-They like the look
-They got as for free as an insensitive to buy
-They think it is efficient which is completely wrong and impossible except if you live only in your living room :(

TKG26 2017-12-12 03:01 PM

Direct vent fireplace is good for 70-85% efficiency ratings