BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community!

BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! (http://www.buildinghomes.ca/community/forums/index.php)
-   Ottawa (http://www.buildinghomes.ca/community/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Cowan’s Grove - Urbandale (http://www.buildinghomes.ca/community/forums/showthread.php?t=24154)

Jord 2018-01-17 02:32 PM

Cowan’s Grove - Urbandale

Hello!

My wife and I have purchased an Urbandale townhome in the recently launched Cowan’s Grove community. Looking forward to connecting with others who are interested in or have also purchased a home in this community.

Jord

canddcg 2018-01-20 03:17 PM

Hi Future neighbour,

We bought a Santa Maria townhome here too. We are closing March 2019. We will be at our structural changes deadline soon. We are new to home buying and would like to chat about what structural changes you are considering.

Jord 2018-01-20 07:33 PM

Nice! So exciting! I'm glad there are others on here who have bought in Cowan's Grove. I love the Santa Maria. We've been watching the first one go up in Riverside South. The windows are huge!

We bought a Calypso end unit. We don't close until July 2019.

We have decided to move the laundry to the basement, and make an office nook/loft space where the laundry room was supposed to be. We're also going to have the ensuite shower tiled and extended 1 more foot. That might be it for structural changes for us!

What are you guys thinking so far? We are going to the design centre tomorrow to get an idea of the finishings.

canddcg 2018-01-21 02:37 PM

we were thinking to delete the closet in one of the bedrooms and add double door, but now i think we might just leave it as is.

we were also going to make the ensuite shower bigger by a foot and tile it....i am just reading my purchase agreement to see what is included as standard.

we love the calypso too...we have looked at the youtube video of it many many times :) we went with santa maria because of double garage

cgyh1 2018-02-01 07:51 AM

Hello potential neighbors

I am in the process of purchasing a Calypso interior unit. For upgrades, I have decided to go with basement laundry and revise the original laundry space to an office. I am thinking of upgrading to hardwood floors in the kitchen (I think it is currently ceramic tiles) but will need to find out how much it would cost first.

Jord 2018-02-01 12:43 PM

Hello fellow Calypso purchaser!

It's interesting that you've also decided to turn the upstairs laundry into an office. The laundry room upstairs is a poor use of space in that layout, in my opinion. I really liked how all of the HN models had an office nook upstairs. Were you thinking of leaving it closed off, or opening it up? We are still waiting for a price on it, but I think we will most likely do it. I'm hoping it won't affect resale value by moving the laundry to the basement. In any case, the office nook adds more value to us so we're going to do it.

When do you close? I think you may have purchased the first interior unit town home in the development. They're selling quite well considering they launched in the middle of winter and have done little to no marketing. I guess the demand is there at this point in time.

Good to meet you!

Jord

cgyh1 2018-02-01 12:52 PM

Yes I did not like the laundry room upstairs. since it is an interior unit, I won't have a window there so I will most likely have the wall on onto the stairs converted into a railing. I have yet to receive pricing either.

Jord 2018-02-01 01:00 PM

Nice. Yea they were thinking it would be $2,000 at most when we were last talking about it. We are on Rathburn in Block 14 by the way. I'm a little nervous to see what Claridge will put up at the end of our street. I find it really strange that they have that strip of land on the northern tip of the development.

Have you seen the first Calypso going up in Riverside South on Dolce? It's an interior unit as well. They have all of the doors and windows in them now. They're looking really nice

Buzz lightbeer 2018-02-02 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jord (Post 330332)
Have you seen the first Calypso going up in Riverside South on Dolce? It's an interior unit as well. They have all of the doors and windows in them now. They're looking really nice

We happen to be the lucky owners of the first Calypso! We drive past it every day but never thought that there might be other people interested in its progress.
We decided to keep the laundry room upstairs but deleted the tub in the master bath while tiling the shower in he larger 5x3 option. In the kitchen, we took the bank of pantry cabinets and turned it into upper and lowers with the quartz counter and subway tile backsplash.

If either of you guys have any questions we'd be more than happy to try and answer them.

Jord 2018-02-03 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzz lightbeer (Post 330366)
We happen to be the lucky owners of the first Calypso! We drive past it every day but never thought that there might be other people interested in its progress.
We decided to keep the laundry room upstairs but deleted the tub in the master bath while tiling the shower in he larger 5x3 option. In the kitchen, we took the bank of pantry cabinets and turned it into upper and lowers with the quartz counter and subway tile backsplash.

If either of you guys have any questions we'd be more than happy to try and answer them.

Pretty soon we'll need to start a Calypso thread!

My wife and I wanted a Calypso on Dolce, but by the time we had decided, they had already sold out! That's when we jumped on the first release at Cowan's Grove. We loved that the lots on Dolce all backed onto the South. You will get so much light through those living room windows!

I met a sales person at the Urbandale sales centre who's son had bought a Calypso on Dolce. Is that you?!

That's a neat idea what you guys are doing with the pantry. We'll have to keep that in mind. We're also going to have the ensuite shower tiled. We really don't like those acrylic inserts that come standard. And for only $300 more, it's definitely worth bumping it out another foot. We're getting prices on having a tiled bench in there as well. We aren't crazy about the Maxx door that comes standard, but she said it would be about $700-$800 to get the two way pivoting glass door so I think we'll pass on that.

I drive past your home just about every week day! I've enjoyed seeing the progress. It's a little scary purchasing a home that's never been built before, but I'm really liking what I see so far! I noticed they were starting to lay brick yesterday on the end unit in the block next to yours.

Buzz lightbeer 2018-02-03 04:02 PM

We also had briefly thought about upgrading the shower door as well but in the end couldn't justify the expense.
The pantry wall change is something that we're really happy we went with. I think it will really help make the kitchen feel larger and in the end, the cost to change it was pretty manageable.

We drove past this morning and got a look at the brick that was going on the end unit and it looks pretty good so far. I can't remember if we're getting the same colour on our row.

I agree that it's a little scary buying a home solely on floorplans and some digital imaging but we've had a great experience so far.

And yes, I believe I am the person who the sales rep was talking about.. It's been great to have someone close like that to bounce ideas of off.

cgyh1 2018-02-04 12:43 AM

I am still at structural changes phase, but have you guys had the options to change the tiles on the fireplace? I am not even sure if it is an option but if it is similar to the Franklin model they have in Riverside then it's not the prettiest. I thought it might be nice to upgrade it to all brick if I could but I am sure the cost would be enormous for the height of the fireplace.

On that note what do you guys think of the Calypso model vs. the Endeavour since they are very similar? I really love the option of the almost floor to ceiling windows with the Endeavour. I am hoping the windows (Especially the side one) in the living room of the Calypso allows for enough lighting.

Jord 2018-02-04 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgyh1 (Post 330384)
I am still at structural changes phase, but have you guys had the options to change the tiles on the fireplace? I am not even sure if it is an option but if it is similar to the Franklin model they have in Riverside then it's not the prettiest. I thought it might be nice to upgrade it to all brick if I could but I am sure the cost would be enormous for the height of the fireplace.

On that note what do you guys think of the Calypso model vs. the Endeavour since they are very similar? I really love the option of the almost floor to ceiling windows with the Endeavour. I am hoping the windows (Especially the side one) in the living room of the Calypso allows for enough lighting.

I think when the time comes at the design centre, the sky is the limit with what you can do around the fireplace. There is an Urbandale townhome on MLS right now in Riverside South that has the 2 story fireplace done in stone all the way to the ceiling. It looks great but must have been big $$$. We are talking about picking a standard tile surround and then painting the bump out all the way to the ceiling in a different colour. Similar to an accent wall just to make it stand out a little.

We like the Endeavour, but not enough to pay another 20k for it. I also like how the fireplace in the Calypso is centred with the front door, so that when you walk in, you're looking right at it. I love the loft in the Endeavour, but you can't get it with the 4 piece ensuite. With the Calypso end unit, you get floor to ceiling windows on all 3 walls in the living room. I guess I just like the symmetry of it with the fireplace in the centre.

When you can get a Calypso end unit with the extra windows on the one side, a wider lot, private drive way, 4 piece bathroom, and the mini loft upstairs when you move the laundry to the basement, for less then an Endeavour interior, the Calypso is much better value, in my opinion. You do get another 300 square feet with the Endeavour, so that's nice.

cgyh1 2018-02-04 12:28 PM

Oh yeah that's definitely a good point. I just also realized that with the Endeavour having the fireplace on the side, you really won't be able to put anything but a sectional there. I really loved the symmetry in the video of the calypso and how they have 2 sofas facing each other. I think for the ceramic around the fireplace, I would like to have it painted white (or eggshell) kinda like how they have it in the Champlain model home. I think if they brick upgrade is too expensive, this would be a nicer alternative.

I am also planning on adding potlights in the mini loft upstairs to add more light since I don't get a window with the interior Calypso unit. It is nice though that they are included in the kitchen, lower halls, and ensuite.

Jord 2018-02-04 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgyh1 (Post 330390)
Oh yeah that's definitely a good point. I just also realized that with the Endeavour having the fireplace on the side, you really won't be able to put anything but a sectional there. I really loved the symmetry in the video of the calypso and how they have 2 sofas facing each other. I think for the ceramic around the fireplace, I would like to have it painted white (or eggshell) kinda like how they have it in the Champlain model home. I think if they brick upgrade is too expensive, this would be a nicer alternative.

I am also planning on adding potlights in the mini loft upstairs to add more light since I don't get a window with the interior Calypso unit. It is nice though that they are included in the kitchen, lower halls, and ensuite.

Yea we are hoping to set up our couches the same way as the video. Hopefully they will fit! That's a great idea to add a pot light in the mini loft. You're right, it is really nice that you get some in the home already. I wish they came standard in the basement like the HN models. With the lower ceilings down there, I'm not crazy about having light fixtures. There are allot of really low profile/slim LED fixtures you can get now from Home Depot. Maybe we'll just put up a couple of those.

We popped into the design centre last week, we were really impressed by the standard finishings. I'm hoping the upgrades won't get too out of control when the time comes!

Buzz lightbeer 2018-02-04 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jord (Post 330393)
Yea we are hoping to set up our couches the same way as the video. Hopefully they will fit! That's a great idea to add a pot light in the mini loft. You're right, it is really nice that you get some in the home already. I wish they came standard in the basement like the HN models. With the lower ceilings down there, I'm not crazy about having light fixtures. There are allot of really low profile/slim LED fixtures you can get now from Home Depot. Maybe we'll just put up a couple of those.

We popped into the design centre last week, we were really impressed by the standard finishings. I'm hoping the upgrades won't get too out of control when the time comes!

Did you confirm with anyone that you would not have any pot lights in the basement?

Jord 2018-02-04 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzz lightbeer (Post 330394)
Did you confirm with anyone that you would not have any pot lights in the basement?

No I haven't. I just assumed we wouldn't since Urbandale says under features "Modern LED pot lighting in lower halls, kitchen and ensuite shower". You would think if pots in the basement came standard, they would have listed it there.

Buzz lightbeer 2018-02-04 07:35 PM

I feel like they may have made a few changes to the features page since we bought but we definitely have potlights standard in the basement. I suppose it could be possible that it’s changed because hardwood in the kitchen used to be included as well. Hopefully it’s just a case of it not being listed..

cgyh1 2018-02-05 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jord (Post 330393)

I am pretty sure that potlights are not included as standard in the basement. It is unfortunate, but since they are included in the kitchen and lower halls and ensuite, that saves up some money to put them in the basement.

I can't confirm but I am sure that hardwood floors are not standard in the kitchen. the model floor plan shows tiles in the kitchen and it is mentioned in the agreement as well. I will be asking for a price quote for hardwood in the kitchen because I think it would look much nicer especially since the kitchen is open to the dining area and living room.

I am planning to drop by the design centre in the coming weeks to see the standard selection of hardwood colors. Were there any that caught your attention? I am hoping they would have something dark brown/grey similar to what they currently have in the Champlain model home in Riverside South.

uki 2018-02-05 09:18 AM

I bought a Santa Maria in Bradley Commons, have had a few design meetings already. In my case, the standard includes 3 pot lights in the basement. Also, there's no charge to swap the tiles in the kitchen with the standard hardwood selections (which there are 3 of them: light, medium, and dark oak stains).

swales 2018-02-05 11:40 AM

You'll have pot lights in the basement, every Urbandale home with a finished basement for the last 10 years has come with them standard.

Jord 2018-02-06 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgyh1 (Post 330399)
I am pretty sure that potlights are not included as standard in the basement. It is unfortunate, but since they are included in the kitchen and lower halls and ensuite, that saves up some money to put them in the basement.

I can't confirm but I am sure that hardwood floors are not standard in the kitchen. the model floor plan shows tiles in the kitchen and it is mentioned in the agreement as well. I will be asking for a price quote for hardwood in the kitchen because I think it would look much nicer especially since the kitchen is open to the dining area and living room.

I am planning to drop by the design centre in the coming weeks to see the standard selection of hardwood colors. Were there any that caught your attention? I am hoping they would have something dark brown/grey similar to what they currently have in the Champlain model home in Riverside South.

That would be nice to have the hardwood in the kitchen for sure! We'll definitely look into that as well. Yea we weren't crazy about the 3 standard hardwoods. The darker option had kind of a red tint to it. There was one we really liked called stone. It was kind of a grey/charcoal looking. She said it would likely only be $500-$600 to upgrade to that one.

She said as long as you stick with Oak, it won't be crazy $$$ to upgrade. We were really impressed with the standard tile selection. Lots of different sizes and options. Even the kind with the wood grain in it thats really popular right now.

Jord 2018-02-06 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzz lightbeer (Post 330397)
I feel like they may have made a few changes to the features page since we bought but we definitely have potlights standard in the basement. I suppose it could be possible that it’s changed because hardwood in the kitchen used to be included as well. Hopefully it’s just a case of it not being listed..

Yea hopefully! That is good to know though. Thank you!

Buzz lightbeer 2018-02-06 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jord (Post 330447)
That would be nice to have the hardwood in the kitchen for sure! We'll definitely look into that as well. Yea we weren't crazy about the 3 standard hardwoods. The darker option had kind of a red tint to it. There was one we really liked called stone. It was kind of a grey/charcoal looking. She said it would likely only be $500-$600 to upgrade to that one.

She said as long as you stick with Oak, it won't be crazy $$$ to upgrade. We were really impressed with the standard tile selection. Lots of different sizes and options. Even the kind with the wood grain in it thats really popular right now.

We went with the package B hardwood called Smoky Grey in oak. None of the standard hardwoods really did anything for us but we definitely had options that appealed to us at the first upgrade level. We also were impressed with the tiles, we found some great standard 12x24 tiles that closely resembled some of the higher package options.

cgyh1 2018-02-10 09:07 PM

Is anyone thinking or has decided to upgrade and add the bathroom in the basement? The sales centre has a standard estimate of $6500, although I will double check and ask for an official estimate as part of my structural changes.

If anyone has done it post-construction, an ideas of estimates would be much appreciated.

Calypso2020 2018-02-12 11:48 AM

Hi Everyone!

My fiance and I have purchased a Calypso Interior Unit in Bradley Commons and we are very excited to have found other future Calypso owners!

We love the Calypso model and feel like we are getting a steal. Especially when we were comparing it against similar options like the Addison model by Richcraft (which is essentially the same layout as the Calypso), the Calypso was over 15k cheaper and has much better standards. (AC, Quartz, Hardwood, etc..).

We would love to hear what design Centre options you are all considering for your hardwood, kitchen Cabinets/Countertops and other options. We feel so overwhelmed with all the design options and would love to hear what others are choosing!

We are planning on removing the laundry room upstairs and turning that whole area into a large walk in closet.
Also planning on expanding the size of the master shower.

It will be awesome once others start sharing progress photos and we are looking forward to seeing models currently being built in Bradley Commons.

Nice to connect with you all!

Jord 2018-02-13 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgyh1 (Post 330511)
Is anyone thinking or has decided to upgrade and add the bathroom in the basement? The sales centre has a standard estimate of $6500, although I will double check and ask for an official estimate as part of my structural changes.

If anyone has done it post-construction, an ideas of estimates would be much appreciated.

We are considering getting our contractor to put in a full bathroom in the basement shortly after closing. I suspect the $6,500 would be on the high end just like anything you have done through the builder. We had a powder room added to our home this past summer for around $5,000 all in. We supplied the material (floating Ikea vanity and Costco tile and toilet). Allot of the cost was having to break the floor and tie into existing plumbing and drainage. With everything already roughed in, I would imagine you could have someone put a full bathroom in for much much less than $6,500. Although, we don't know what finishes are included in that estimate.

Anyway, putting in the bathroom in the basement makes allot of sense in my opinion since allot of the work is already done. It's also a great value add when the time comes to sell.

swales 2018-02-14 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jord (Post 330541)
We are considering getting our contractor to put in a full bathroom in the basement shortly after closing. I suspect the $6,500 would be on the high end just like anything you have done through the builder. We had a powder room added to our home this past summer for around $5,000 all in. We supplied the material (floating Ikea vanity and Costco tile and toilet). Allot of the cost was having to break the floor and tie into existing plumbing and drainage. With everything already roughed in, I would imagine you could have someone put a full bathroom in for much much less than $6,500. Although, we don't know what finishes are included in that estimate.

Anyway, putting in the bathroom in the basement makes allot of sense in my opinion since allot of the work is already done. It's also a great value add when the time comes to sell.

You'll still probably have to break the floor as they tend to put the rough in, in unusable spots.

canddcg 2018-02-14 08:55 AM

We were quoted the same estimate of $6500 at first but then I think the bathroom became $6000, but we still haven't signed our structural so that might change when we get final official pricing. We didn't want a tub in basement but that would only reduce price by about $500 (again estimated) so we decided to keep the tub. The very reason I wanted it done from the builder was because of the rough in location...I am thinking if the house will be built with a bathroom in basement then the rough in location will be chosen more carefully, if not it is included in the $6000 for them to realign the rough in.

we have to sign off on our final structural very soon and I am hoping we haven't missed anything.

xdarrylx 2018-02-14 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swales (Post 330542)
You'll still probably have to break the floor as they tend to put the rough in, in unusable spots.

In some cases yes, in others no. Ours was in a usable and logical spot so I didn't need to break up the floor when I finished our basement this past summer.

cgyh1 2018-02-14 10:12 AM

I was surprised by how some things needed to be done at the structural stage that I thought would for sure be done later on during the design center process.

For example, changes to the tiles around the fireplace and the the choice of tiles or acrylic in the ensuite shower would be done at the structural changes stage.

While on the subject of the esnuite shower, I was quoted $1600 for the 4 x 3 tiled shower with acrylic base and $2345 for the full tiled shower. I definitely think it is a bit on the higher end but again it's not an official estimate and I am not entirely sure how much would it cost to do it later, or if it is possible.

xdarrylx 2018-02-14 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgyh1 (Post 330546)
I was surprised by how some things needed to be done at the structural stage that I thought would for sure be done later on during the design center process.

For example, changes to the tiles around the fireplace and the the choice of tiles or acrylic in the ensuite shower would be done at the structural changes stage.

While on the subject of the esnuite shower, I was quoted $1600 for the 4 x 3 tiled shower with acrylic base and $2345 for the full tiled shower. I definitely think it is a bit on the higher end but again it's not an official estimate and I am not entirely sure how much would it cost to do it later, or if it is possible.

It will absolutely cost more because they have to rip out whatever is there currently. I'd do the full tile now - worth it and one less headache down the road IMO.

swales 2018-02-14 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xdarrylx (Post 330545)
In some cases yes, in others no. Ours was in a usable and logical spot so I didn't need to break up the floor when I finished our basement this past summer.

Lucky you and unlucky me as I'm yet to own a new house with a rough-in that was good to go without having to break up the floor

cgyh1 2018-02-17 02:09 PM

Is anyone thinking about getting dual sinks in the ensuite? I think the estimate was around $600. I am wondering if it is something that would help in the re-sale value of the home.

xdarrylx 2018-02-17 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgyh1 (Post 330597)
Is anyone thinking about getting dual sinks in the ensuite? I think the estimate was around $600. I am wondering if it is something that would help in the re-sale value of the home.

Regardless of resale, I'd do it for convenience and to make life easier while you live there. $600? Easy question...

BrianT 2018-02-18 03:15 PM

+1 for having two sinks in the ensuite bathroom. The high cost may include another set of lights above the second sink, check with your builder on this.

Also it would be a good idea to confirm where the electrical plug will be installed. If it's on the side, then I suggest moving it to the center between the two sinks or having an extra one installed so each sink has their own plug. This way, you won't be in the way of each other and the cords from your hair dryer, shaver, curling iron, etc... won't tangle.

cgyh1 2018-02-18 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jord (Post 330374)

That's a neat idea what you guys are doing with the pantry. We'll have to keep that in mind. We're also going to have the ensuite shower tiled. We really don't like those acrylic inserts that come standard. And for only $300 more, it's definitely worth bumping it out another foot. We're getting prices on having a tiled bench in there as well. We aren't crazy about the Maxx door that comes standard, but she said it would be about $700-$800 to get the two way pivoting glass door so I think we'll pass on that.

For the ensuite shower, I am guessing you are only having the walls tiled with an acrylic base?

I figured that while it is not expensive to increase the size to a 5 x 3, what really bumps the price is having the base tiled.

Any thoughts on having the base tiled versus having an acrylic base?

swales 2018-02-19 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgyh1 (Post 330607)
For the ensuite shower, I am guessing you are only having the walls tiled with an acrylic base?

I figured that while it is not expensive to increase the size to a 5 x 3, what really bumps the price is having the base tiled.

Any thoughts on having the base tiled versus having an acrylic base?

Comes down to how much cleaning you want to do, a design consultant I've used previously with a builder would hand out a toothbrush on the final visit if you chose tiled flooring in the shower....lol

cgyh1 2018-02-19 07:27 AM

Yeah, I am thinking along the same lines. Plus, not sure if it is worth it to pay an extra ~$700 to have the base tiled

electricsky 2018-02-19 10:43 AM

Not to stir or offend anyone but IMO an acrylic shower base looks cheap and builder grade, especially if other aspects of your shower are high end (such as two sided glass, tiled walls, nice fixtures, etc).

I chose a tiled base for my shower and don't regret it one bit. I seal the base grout with grout sealer once a year which takes about 5 minutes each time. My grout lines, as well as the base tiles look flawless.