BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community!

BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! (http://www.buildinghomes.ca/community/forums/index.php)
-   Home Technology and Electronics (http://www.buildinghomes.ca/community/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Router in the linen closet (http://www.buildinghomes.ca/community/forums/showthread.php?t=20956)

jebise101 2013-02-20 10:55 PM

Router in the linen closet

old thread

Mark & Lynda 2013-02-20 11:51 PM

I wouldn't tap into a GFI outlet, and I wouldn't add a receptacle in the attic which could potentially be exposed to moisture in the summer. Your plan also compromises a great deal of the vapor barrier.

I don't really understand what you're trying to accomplish, but what's preventing you from putting the router in the bedroom or in the basement? I presume the cat5e in your 3 bedrooms runs to the basement?

jebise101 2013-02-21 12:22 AM

old thread

oakvillehomeowner 2013-02-21 01:00 PM

a GFI or AFCI outlet is likely all you'll find on the second floor, and i don't know why you wouldn't want to use one of those. i've also seen power in attics for attic fans and attic lights. a properly installed receptacle should be no issue (if you can have exterior receptacles you should be able to have attic receptacles).

that being said, why not just add a wireless access point on the second floor to get better coverage? definitely something i'll be looking at for my next house. you can get some that work on POE as well.

Mark & Lynda 2013-02-21 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oakvillehomeowner (Post 250810)
a GFI or AFCI outlet is likely all you'll find on the second floor,

What makes you assume that?

Mark & Lynda 2013-02-21 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jebise101 (Post 250784)
I'm just thinking and maybe over thinking it by a mile. Nothing is preventing me from putting it in a bedroom or basement. I just want to ensure I have full wifi coverage within the house and the most practical place seemed like a closet that is in the center of the house because when in a room some areas may not get signal or when in the basement the cement and furnace will interfere with the signal strength.

Lastly how would i expose the vapor barrier, once I get the wires to there points i would seal the holes with insulation.

I'm not sure that the concrete floor or the furnace will interfere with your signal strength.

The vapor barrier would need to be properly repaired with tuck tape, not just insulation. and the holes through the top plate re-caulked. I'm not saying it cannot be done, just personally I wouldn't bother. It's too much trouble to properly seal around the cables you're passing through and your installing a receptacle in the attic that should it fail, is a PITA to get to. Try being up there in the summer for longer than 5 min.

Also, there is a limit to the number of outlets downstream from the GFI. You may be maxed out already. I don't know what the code is. check with an electrician.

You said you're not moved in yet? Is the house drywalled yet?

oakvillehomeowner 2013-02-22 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark & Lynda (Post 250830)
What makes you assume that?

building code requires arc fault protection for all bedroom outlets (often blue 14/3), and from what i've seen, builders find it simpler to use these circuits for hallway outlets and lights as well. bathroom outlets have been gfci for years now.

Mark & Lynda 2013-02-22 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oakvillehomeowner (Post 250959)
building code requires arc fault protection for all bedroom outlets (often blue 14/3), and from what i've seen, builders find it simpler to use these circuits for hallway outlets and lights as well. bathroom outlets have been gfci for years now.

You're correct, ARC fault is required in the bedrooms. I had one fail and had to replace the expensive sucker, but haven't seen them in the hallway. My hallway receptacles are not ARC fault.

That would also potentially be too many loads on one or two ARC fault 15 Amp breakers. I have two for four bedrooms.

jebise101 2013-02-22 11:17 PM

haven't move in but it has been drywalled already

GregS 2013-02-23 04:03 PM

Why not just leave your router in the basement and put a wireless access point in the closet? Run cat5e to it, power it with PoE, and you are done.

That's how we typically do it in big homes, but with many more access points.