BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community!

BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! (http://www.buildinghomes.ca/community/forums/index.php)
-   Ottawa (http://www.buildinghomes.ca/community/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Side door to garage;do during build or after? (http://www.buildinghomes.ca/community/forums/showthread.php?t=17964)

suezieq4u 2011-09-21 09:10 PM

Side door to garage;do during build or after?

Quick question ..I am leaning towards getting a man door installed onto the garage through the builder....any idea of cost to get this done?Price Tamarack gave us seems high...just wondering
Is it something that would be more cost effective to get done after we close then?
Any input would be greatly appreciated as we are on a tight timeline to give them our approval.

good2know 2011-09-22 05:48 AM

hard to do after since the concrete would need to be cut, wall reframed, siding redone etc

can be done but may not be much cheaper

what are they quoting you?

suezieq4u 2011-09-22 07:04 AM

$2400..plus hst = 2710.00 Seems high to me :(
and I know a house being constructed right now in the neighborhood has one..and they paid $1500 ;) ..which seems more reasonable...
same builder...just unsure why the 1000.00 difference unless it's the builders way of saying..they really don't want to do one..but will do if price is right ;)

good2know 2011-09-22 07:19 AM

ask them to double check price based on the $1500 knowledge (and tell them you would happily pay that :))

Cosmogrrl 2011-09-22 07:21 AM

We wanted one too. We had one in our last home and really loved it! Didn't get too into it as we were told it would be in the neighbourhood of $3k+.
I wouldn't do it after. I've watched enough HOH to scare me away from doing major things like that lol ;) wouldn't you need structural inspections etc when you do it afterwards?

Shadow 2011-09-22 07:29 AM

Do a small step to avoid having to cut into the concrete. Outside of that it's extremely easy. Remove the siding, cut it to size, frame the door and install it. No way should it even cost $1500.00.

Depends how comfortable you are doing the work. But it should not be that hard - like I said if you do the step to avoid the concrete. Going into the concrete would increase the price

good2know 2011-09-22 07:36 AM

Shadow the grading on these lots (and it depends on which lot and where the door goes) is such that the foundations are a couple feet above grade. There is no room for steps really.

For $3,000 I'd put a keypad on the garage door and buy an a/c system :)

hodabfly 2011-09-22 07:56 AM

I feel so stupid now, it was $800 to do with our builder and we cheaped out. This is something we wished we had gotten :( but I figured with the main garage door being there, why do you need a seperate side door? Still wish we got it. Oh well

suezieq4u 2011-09-22 07:57 AM

Wanted the side door to the garage..as we have it now and find it perfect :)..not to mention..lol..we have 6 kids..so the main garage door might be going up/down alot w/keypad ;)
Just thought it made much more sense to have a side garage door..so the kids have access to the mud room /coat room than going through the whole house via the front door :(
But for 2700.00...for that cost I am on the fence
Will contact builder today to get them to re-chq price as seems way high :(

good2know 2011-09-22 08:08 AM

was looking at your floor plan - an option might be to put an outside door in the mudroom instead of that window