View Single Post
Old 2012-11-02, 10:23 AM
Regular User

I'm from Kingston and I've lived in both ends of town. We're currently in the west end. East is beautiful too, but if you want quick and easy access to big box stores and retail - the west end is far more convenient.

The one thing I would recommend you keep in mind is that both Tamarack and Braebury are large corporations - as with many builders. The tradespeople who are hired to build these homes are hired mostly due to the fact they were the 'cheapest' when submitting their quotes to the builder. As a result, you typically don't get seasoned pros building your home. Instead, you get a lot of young guys who are, in the words of our own builder - "doing it as a job, not as an art or a trade".

Our first house was built with a small local builder and we had no problems. Our second house was built by a large builder and while we haven't had anything MAJOR to report, there have been a lot of issues and some real sloppy workmanship.

It also depends on how knowledgeable and picky you are. There are happy homeowners on my street who don't seem to realize their roof looks like it was installed by my three year old. There are also others like me who get mad when they see sloppy duct runs in the basement or an HRV that was installed incorrectly.

Just stay alert!