View Single Post
Old 2008-03-18, 12:18 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Phil Acker View Post
In absense of local code requirements, the manufacturer's spec will have authority. In the case of clearances for ranges, the Ontario Building Code does specify clearance and therefore is the requirement that must be followed. In a nutshell, there can't be any combustible material (e.g. cabinets, valence, trims, etc) that are within 17 3/4" of the area where the range is installed. So if you have any wood within the arc taken upward and adjacent to the area where the range is to be installed, then this would not be acceptable to the code unless the wood was somehow protected by a non-combustible material (now wouldn't that be ugly?)

From the photo, I can't tell whether or not the valence if flushed to the edge of the cabinet would be less than 17 3/4", but I suspect it would be. So the valence cannot be extended into the area bounded by the 17 3/4" arc. By the way, the end panels exposed below the range hood need to be outside that 17 3/4" arc.

I am sure you and I are not alone in saying this is not the way we'd like the valence to look. However the Code is the way it is to protect your health and safety.
Hi Phil. Question for you regarding this because I have never seen a valance installed that way before.

I just measured the clearance from my range top up to the bottom of the cabinet and it measures 19 1/4". From the range to the bottom of my valance is 17". If the returns on the valance were moved 3/4" to the right and to the left, would that pass code? ie. 17" up plus 3/4" to the left and right.

I assume the cabinet clearance in EV's photo is approx the same so moving the valance closer to the range but maintaining that 3/4" space on either side would work..plus look much better.