View Single Post
Old 2013-08-16, 03:37 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trepex View Post
Not at all.

The best option for most people is the following:

(A) to set your router to be a "wifi access point" only, and plug it into the bell modem/router. That will give you a decent wireless signal (Bell's is pretty terrible). Realistically this should be fine for most people. The Bell router will assign IPs to your devices and handle everything else except for wireless. Your router will serve the wireless network up to your house, and it's plugged into the Bell modem. The nice/knowledgeable Bell techs will actually spend a couple of minutes to help you out and get this setup. Others just really don't know their way around computers and/or are in too much of a rush, but it's not too complicated to do yourself.

An alternative is to do the opposite:

(B) There are advantages of doing the opposite and making the Bell modem/router act in bridge mode, and having your own router do the LAN routing, DHCP assignments for your computers, and wireless, BUT... Bell's modem/router behaves really erratically in bridge mode.

An example of why someone might want to take approach (B) is if you use Quality of Service (QoS) functions on your router in order to prioritize voice over IP traffic for VoIP Phone, or traffic for certain games that are latency-sensitive. The Bell router doesn't support QoS, and so you'd want to be able to use your own router, which you couldn't do if you followed (A) and put it into wifi-access-only mode.

Because I use VoIP phone service, have my alarm monitoring company doing IP-based monitoring, all the while backup up our computers to cloud backup services, QoS and low latency are important to me. Low latency means that VoIP phone service works great, and QoS lets me prioritize the important traffic so that a regular backup doesn't screw up my phone, or that iTunes movie that we're downloading at 50mbps doesn't mean the communication with our alarm monitoring system goes awry.

Summary:
(A) is your best option, it just means that power users might be frustrated not to have fine-grain control over network traffic and the likes.
(B) will work, but the modem tends to crash under load. If you're someone who uses bittorrent and frequently has dozens of open IP connections, the modem will barf
(C) Do what I did and it's a headache to setup but gives you the best of both worlds.
Very good advice.. I will admit, it took me a few days to get my network setup and cable management done and I did have a few hiccups along the way learning about what bells modem/router could/couldn't do well.