View Single Post
Old 2009-04-12, 10:33 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBLAIR View Post
As this new Act roles in, I am quite sure two things will happen: 1) homeowners will be unhappy about having to disclose energy efficiency reports to interested buyers and will not likely to be happy about facing expensive upgrade costs before they can sell their homes. Even though grants are available, homeowners must still come up with the money to complete the upgrades. In a housing market where home values are decreasing and homeowners are facing shrinking home equity plus a rise in household debt-loads, this will be a new cost that homeowners will not be able to easily absorb. I do believe some realtors will not like it either as interested buyers walk away from listed homes that just are not up to energy standards in listings where homeowners are unable to invest into needed upgrades to the home.
Can the same arguments not also be said about a home inspection? Yet everyone accepts them. I bet when they were first introduced people said sellers “will be unhappy about having to disclose reports to interested buyers and will not likely to be happy about facing expensive upgrade costs before they can sell their homes” . People don’t like when they get an unfavourable home inspection either.

Change is hard and upsets a lot of people but I personally think an energy audit is a great idea. In this day and age it helps people understand what they are purchasing more than the pretty granite counters and pot lights that everyone focus’s on these days. In the past energy audits cost thousands to do, but are finally much more affordable so why not use them to evaluate your house. Why not give homeowners info on what they will be spending tens of thousands on over the years, your heating, water and electricity systems and bills? Its just more information about your house, just like a home inspection is, IMO.

Mike