View Single Post
Old 2013-02-18, 07:38 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark & Lynda View Post
I will be picking up an 5-port switch to expand my available ports. The switch and router will be located in separate areas of the home. Both router and switch will be gigabit.

My Samsung TV (10/100) will be connected to the router and my computer will be connected to the switch.

If I'm streaming media from the computer to the TV will traffic between the router and the switch slow down to 10/100? ie. will the uplink connection from the router to switch slow to 10/100? or is the port the tv connected to only affected?
Hi Mark & Lynda.

The switch will not drop the rate between the switch and the router to 100mbs. Ethernet switch ports will clock bits at the physical line rate (10mbps, 100mbps, or 1gbps in your case). The TCP protocol has a windowing mechanism to slow down the traffic if your TV is getting overwhelmed. Or if the file transfer is happening over UDP, the application should have a mechanism for pacing traffic.

Question: why not connect the TV to the ethernet switch? it is more efficient to use the router to route to the internet and keep LAN traffic within the LAN switch.

RDG