View Single Post
Old 2018-02-08, 09:41 AM
Regular User

Hello xdarrylx and others on this thread!

I went through many posts and am really impressed with all the great comments, suggestions, pictures etc!

We are thinking about finishing the basement and just at the very very early stages of .... should we? How much $ do you think honey?

Well 1500 sq ft to finish. 2 bedrooms, full kitchen with island, laundry room, full bath with shower. That’s going to hurt. ☺

Hire a contractor or just piecemeal to local workers and oversee the project ourselves? I have had a few years of construction from many years ago and get the lingo but not sure on code and best practices as it’s been so long.

I wish I could do a lot of the work myself but physically I cannot anymore due to my medical situation.

Attached is a few pics. Some say just frame a few inches away from the builder installed batt insulation as it’s much cheaper and you don't have to insulate. But you lose so much in room dimensions? Some of that insulation sticks out 8" from the foundation wall. I would really love to rip it out and spray foam to maximize space or do what xdarrylx did with 1" foam or Roxul Comfort board.

Wish I would have opted for the inexpensive $20K nine foot ceiling option That heating ducts will be a pain.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated!

Thx… Sam.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180208_084718.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	14342   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180208_084956.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	906.2 KB
ID:	14343  

Last edited by Sam Steele; 2018-02-08 at 03:12 PM.