View Single Post
Old 2018-11-07, 10:48 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by waikiki View Post
From my husband:

Additional routers usually come with different subnets (i.e. 15 or 100). You don't need to change anything. Plug a connection from the ISP to your wan port in the router. Your second router will get a DHCP assigned so no need to change anything. You are likely getting a time out because you are using the same subnet in both routers.

For example: my Rogers modem is 192.168.1.x but my other routers are 192.168.100.x, 192.168.15.x.
192.168.1.1 and 192.168.15.1 are both visible from any PC on my second router.

You should only have to change DHCP range on the secondary router. The only DHCP assigned addresses from the ISP router would be to the secondary router.
I will try changing the subnet on my router.

Just to clarify I had to change the ISPs router/modem to bridge mode because my router was not connecting to the ISP. I don't want to use the ISPs modem as a router. I don't want the ISPs modem/router to assign a DHCP address to my router.

If I'm understanding you, you're saying the ISPs router could assign an IP address to my router and all devices would get their IP addresses from my router (not the ISPs). The ISPs gateway in this scenario would be receiving the WAN address (instead of my router) from the ISP?

Last edited by Mark & Lynda; 2018-11-07 at 11:05 PM.