Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2017-07-13, 07:49 AM
Regular User

They're building both towns and singles in there right? Are only towns for sale now?
Old 2017-07-13, 08:46 AM
Regular User

That's correct.
Old 2017-07-13, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemy1415 View Post
Cool! Seems like I should edit the title to include Urbandale! There are quite a few people purchasing with them!

OMG we looked at Mattamy too and their prices are ridiculous. It seem so low at first but nothing isn't included. Things were adding up so fast and we didn't even get to finishes such as hardwood, pot lights etc. Needless to say, we walked out of there SO fast!
The way Mattamy handled their releases of Abbottsville Crossing, which abuts Bradley Commons, has convinced us to never buy from them. For example, I can understand price increases every time they release new lots, but the fact that they also increase the prices for the optional layouts (i.e. en suite and kitchen optional layouts etc) is fking crazy! They were offering finished basement for approx. 4700$ when we first started looking. By the time they released a small portion of a new lot, the price for the finished rec basement went up to over $6000 for the same sq. footage!!! The en-suite went from approx. $5000 to almost $10k!!! Not to mention they decided for no good reason to tack on another $3000 lot premium on all their new releases, even ones that are interior lots that are not over-sized. When I asked why they mumbled something about the street being a quite street, which is complete bs.

TL;DR: Steer clear of Mattamy; super unorganized.
Old 2017-07-13, 12:24 PM
Regular User

I've noticed a lot of Mattamy buyers are the types who are looking to buy as cheap a house as possible, skip most/all of the builder's upgrades, and then upgrade it themselves after taking possession. Seeing as all of the builders will tack in their profit margin into the upgrades anyway, this could work out for those who are willing to put in the time and effort to do those upgrades themselves. For me, I don't want to deal with the hassles and would rather get everything done all at once.
Old 2017-07-14, 12:22 AM
Regular User

Wow! You already had the structural meeting? Please share how it went? is there anything that you changed? BTW, which townhome are you building if you don't mind me asking.

Yes, we will be neighbors! I am on Block 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by uki View Post
We just had the initial structural meeting not too long ago, so far so good.

Richcraft and Urbandale are intermingling/alternating their lots, so no territory. It would be interesting to see the final results.

We're also closing in October 2018, I guess that'll make us neighbors
Old 2017-07-14, 09:07 AM
Regular User

Yes I have, and it seems so has user doggiebacon (we're both with Urbandale though). In our meeting, the sales consultant went through a check list and marked down the things that we would like to have/change. We were quite happy with how everything was laid out, so we were mostly asking for additions like basement washroom and hardwood stairs/second floor. They're supposed to come back to us with the price quotes for those items (they haven't yet) and then we'll make the decision to get them or not.

My partner and I tried to shuffle the rooms a bit and even got their designer to send us a bespoke alternative floor plan, but we decided that original plan is the best.

We're getting Urbandale Santa Maria model
Old 2017-07-14, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Yes I have, and it seems so has user doggiebacon (we're both with Urbandale though). In our meeting, the sales consultant went through a check list and marked down the things that we would like to have/change. We were quite happy with how everything was laid out, so we were mostly asking for additions like basement washroom and hardwood stairs/second floor. They're supposed to come back to us with the price quotes for those items (they haven't yet) and then we'll make the decision to get them or not.

My partner and I tried to shuffle the rooms a bit and even got their designer to send us a bespoke alternative floor plan, but we decided that original plan is the best.

We're getting Urbandale Santa Maria model
Damn the santa maria model is a nice layout. Did you guys opt for the dressing area-walking closet combo or just the MASSIVE walk in only?
Old 2017-07-14, 12:05 PM
Regular User

We're pretty set on having a corner lot townhouse, so there's no other option but Santa Maria for us. We opted for the dressing area/walk-in combo because we want to have the roman tub.
Old 2017-07-15, 01:07 AM
Regular User

I agree! I don't mind doing a few upgrades afterwards but their prices are pretty ridiculous just for the common structural changes. So before you even start to think about going to their design center, you are already spending a ton of money! we considered them but couldn't walk out of their sale center fast enough.

Quote:
I've noticed a lot of Mattamy buyers are the types who are looking to buy as cheap a house as possible, skip most/all of the builder's upgrades, and then upgrade it themselves after taking possession. Seeing as all of the builders will tack in their profit margin into the upgrades anyway, this could work out for those who are willing to put in the time and effort to do those upgrades themselves. For me, I don't want to deal with the hassles and would rather get everything done all at once.
Old 2017-07-15, 01:08 AM
Regular User

What a great house you will have! I love the walking/roman tub combo! Good choice! Plus you have so many windows. You will have a ton of light coming in! I am excited for you!

Quote:
We're pretty set on having a corner lot townhouse, so there's no other option but Santa Maria for us. We opted for the dressing area/walk-in combo because we want to have the roman tub.