Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2019-08-19, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowans_atlantis View Post
Was this your original closing date? Or was it delayed before?
We were originally scheduled for first week of October, but were delayed until November 7th. Haven't heard anything so I would like to assume we are on schedule. Drove by a couple of weeks ago and they seemed to be progressing well!
Old 2019-10-03, 10:30 PM
Regular User

Just had our PDI today... Wow what a fricken disaster. No counter tops, trim missing on lots of the doors, light fixtures installed that are supposed to be pot lights, the wrong colour grout, many damaged pieces of hardwood kind of looks like water damage, paint all over the door hardware and hinges... The step that goes from the front entry way up to the living area is actually noticeably crooked. The guy from Urbandale even agreed he said "this is embarrassing". Like how are they even going to fix that?? It looks structurally crooked! No garage door, no drywall in the garage, no backsplash, no range fan... Like it's just so sloppy looking and thrown together.

The delays were super frustrating but this just put me over the edge. We're supposed to close next Thursday. I have a feeling we're going be bugging them for months to fix all this stuff. They're so disorganized and the level of quality is just terrible they're just scrambling to finish these homes.

I really hope you guys have a better experience!
Old 2019-10-03, 10:39 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jord View Post
Just had our PDI today... Wow what a fricken disaster. No counter tops, trim missing on lots of the doors, light fixtures installed that are supposed to be pot lights, the wrong colour grout, many damaged pieces of hardwood kind of looks like water damage, paint all over the door hardware and hinges... The step that goes from the front entry way up to the living area is actually noticeably crooked. The guy from Urbandale even agreed he said "this is embarrassing". Like how are they even going to fix that?? It looks structurally crooked! No garage door, no drywall in the garage, no backsplash, no range fan... Like it's just so sloppy looking and thrown together.

The delays were super frustrating but this just put me over the edge. We're supposed to close next Thursday. I have a feeling we're going be bugging them for months to fix all this stuff. They're so disorganized and the level of quality is just terrible they're just scrambling to finish these homes.

How were they allowed to do PDI with that much missing...

We have ours in two ish weeks and this scares the crap out of me.
Old 2019-10-03, 10:44 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
How were they allowed to do PDI with that much missing...

We have ours in two ish weeks and this scares the crap out of me.
I would call your lawyer and find out about your rights. This home sounds incomplete to me, and they don’t want to pay you the extra for your inconvenience. Scares me too.
Old 2019-10-04, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jord View Post

Well this is the worst thing I could have heard. I'm sorry that you had to go through that, I can't imagine how we will react if we have the same experience. Supposed to be closing November 7th, we have both moved around our work schedules to accommodate. Fingers crossed....
Old 2019-10-04, 10:15 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athome2019 View Post
I would call your lawyer and find out about your rights. This home sounds incomplete to me, and they don’t want to pay you the extra for your inconvenience. Scares me too.
I'm quite thankful that a lot of what Jord is reporting is not what I've seen so far at the house. We did a few walk-thoughts recently, mostly to take measurements for various things. There are certainly a few things we've noted (gap in one bit of the hardwood, hole in the wall, burnt out light bulb, brick not caulked/grouted in one brick, one wrong light installed), and a few things that we anticipate being finished before closing (hopefully) (stone/backsplash going in, for example).

That said, Jord's experience with Urbandale gives me great pause... PDI is less than two weeks away for me, and I will share an update then (We're in Riverside South, not CG)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammond View Post
Well this is the worst thing I could have heard. I'm sorry that you had to go through that, I can't imagine how we will react if we have the same experience. Supposed to be closing November 7th, we have both moved around our work schedules to accommodate. Fingers crossed....
When is your PDI scheduled for?
Old 2019-10-04, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post

When is your PDI scheduled for?
Hasn't been scheduled yet.. no one has reached out to me. Probably not the best sign...
Old 2019-10-04, 10:22 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammond View Post
Hasn't been scheduled yet.. no one has reached out to me. Probably not the best sign...
Not necessarily. We close about 2 and a half weeks before you, and ours only got scheduled last week (late last week).

They told me they usually schedule PDI for a week before closing - so yours would likely be Oct 31 (spooky).
Old 2019-10-04, 10:40 AM
Regular User

Thanks for sharing your experience Jord, and I am so sorry that you have to go through that. When I bought the house last year, my lawyer warned me about certain scenarios that can happen by going with a new build and what you are going through is close to being worst case scenario. I am disappointed that urbandale let this happen.

I wasn't going to, but I am going to hire an inspector for my pdi. I also did a couple of walk throughs over the summer to measure things. The last time I went was end of August and only the dry walls were in.
I liked what I saw, but i am worry that they are going to rush finishing the interior.

P.S. I am in RSS, closing oct 31, and they haven't contacted me for my pdi yet.
Old 2019-10-04, 10:47 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondler View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience Jord, and I am so sorry that you have to go through that. When I bought the house last year, my lawyer warned me about certain scenarios that can happen by going with a new build and what you are going through is close to being worst case scenario. I am disappointed that urbandale let this happen.

I wasn't going to, but I am going to hire an inspector for my pdi. I also did a couple of walk throughs over the summer to measure things. The last time I went was end of August and only the dry walls were in.
I liked what I saw, but i am worry that they are going to rush finishing the interior.

P.S. I am in RSS, closing oct 31, and they haven't contacted me for my pdi yet.
Yeah, I'm kind of considering hiring an inspector for PDI, too - but I'm looking at advice online in other areas (like red flag deals), and 90% of what the PDI is for is cosmetic things & things the untrained eye would notice (nail pops, cracks in tile) - basically anything that they could, at a later time, as "You broke the tile, not us".

You should likely hear by Monday. Based on your closing vs mine, you'd be scheduled Monday (They contacted me last Friday for my PDI, and I close a week and a half before you).

For what its worth, when we visited mid-august, they had JUST finished drywalling, then when we visited again at the end of august, nothing had changed except things were being stored inside the house. If you're interested, we may be visiting our place tonight, I can peek into yours & PM you how close you are?