Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Appliances and Furniture

Appliances and Furniture What fits? Where to get it? How will it look?

Old 2012-12-04, 12:03 PM
Regular User

Thanks Brancroft Boy for your input!

Will be looking into a hood soon.
Old 2012-12-04, 02:06 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BancroftBoy View Post
Juglans,

So far, so good. The range is everything I expected. I did a ton of research and comparisons with other similar gas ranges. The Bluestar open burners really take home cooking to a whole new level.
As for the range hood, it performs extremely well. It's amazing how much grease is captured after one wok session. The 24" depth really helps capture a lot of the smoke and grease. If it were possible, I would have gone with a 36" wide hood (cabinet restriction). I have a 30" range with same size hood and it doesn't get all, but most of the smoke. But thats only an issue when wok'ing. Normal cooking is fine with the 30" wide hood. On high (600cfm), the fan is loud, but not as loud as the builder hood. Medium/low is a nice hum. The Bluestar hood has variable fan control, so there's really no high/med/low setting.

Hope this helps.

That's awesome! I'm so excited.

I also should have thought it through a little better because I bought a 36" RCS but my cabinet opening is also 36" .....i should have made it 42" for better coverage....but if it's as you're saying, then i guess i should do wok cooking at a minimum

the other problem I'm having is that i'm trying to find a good deal on a 900-1200 CFM hood. I want something very powerful, but cannot find anything under $1200 so far.

if anyone knows where i can find a 900-1200 CFM wall mounted chimney hood for under $1000 them i'm all ears.
Old 2012-12-04, 03:57 PM
Regular User

Forum ghost !

I will keep you posted on hood as i am also looking for something powerfull but not above 1k.
Will see if we can find one
Old 2012-12-04, 09:37 PM
Regular User

Have a look at the professional series hoods carried by kitchenhoods.ca. If it weren't for the reduced price of the bluestar hood from Costco, I would have purchased from them. They have a pretty good selection of styles to choose from.
Other things to consider when going up to 1200cfm is make up air. I too wanted something more powerful but didn't want to go through the trouble of having a makeup air solution put in. I think I'll be okay with my 600cfm for now.
Old 2012-12-04, 09:46 PM
Regular User

Forum_ghost,

You probably don't have to worry because the 36" RCS has two burners in the middle that you could use for wok'ing. The hood will evenly capture any smoke and grease that rises up from the sides. You should be fine due to your burner configuration.
Old 2012-12-05, 12:54 AM
Regular User

Kitchenhoods.ca range hoods are all made in Taiwan/China. I know someone who recently bought the 'professional' series that is mentioned above. Note, the 'Ancona Advanta' series at Costco is the same thing as the 'Lux' model from kitchenhoods. Look at the photos and compare, they're identical except the one from kitchehoods.ca has the LED buttons.

Here's my take on range hoods: they're all the same. I did a lot of research and read up on many makes: Vent-a-hood, Zephyr, Kobe, KitchenAid, Broan, etc and tried to read up on a lot of reviews. Vent-a-hood, which is considered the Rolls Royce of range hoods...had a lot of complaints from users on gardenweb. Why? The "magic lung" is a lot of marketing. Difference with Vent-a-hood and others is that it doesnt use any mesh or baffle filters. Well, we all know that the baffles and mesh filters will reduce the motor's efficiency. So, if you wanted, you could run any other range hood without the filter and just collect the grease/oil via some drip tray (this is what Vent-a-hood does).

My suggestion with all these range hoods: take all the CFM readings with a grain of salt. It's a lot of marketing and specifications meant to convince people from buying one brand over another. When all is said and done, it's just an electric motor housed inside a box of stainless steel. It's not high tech at all, and these things are marketed in a way to make it more complicated than it really is. Look at the models available from kitchenhoods.ca they're all the same! Another important thing you need to consider is the duct size that you have available. The bigger the the diameter, the better. Buy something that looks aesthetically pleasing and fits with your kitchen, but don't get too worked up about the specs of brand A vs brand B. Also, the deeper the hood, the better it will be at collecting the food odors (ie. choosing a 10inch vs. 18inch high under cabinet).

Last edited by toy4to; 2012-12-05 at 01:11 AM.
Old 2012-12-05, 12:10 PM
Regular User

IMO Sakura hoods are thee best, are priced reasonably, you don't want something too powerful that why there are resturants around
Old 2013-03-06, 01:09 AM
Regular User

Has anyone bought from kitchenhoods.ca. I was looking to buy a professional 36" range hood.