Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Technology and Electronics

Home Technology and Electronics To discuss the technology that is going into your home from planning, wiring, hardware and usage.

Old 2009-11-09, 12:29 PM
Regular User

Default Speakers for wall-mounted TV

Hey Greg (and others of course!)

We've recently wall-mounted our LCD television above the fireplace mantle. We had a conduit and recessed outlet installed ~ 1ft above the mantle, and I installed the bracket just above that, so as it stands, the bottom of the TV is 6-inches above the mantle.

I currently have three cheap Sony speakers that came with my amp, and they are sitting on the mantle below the TV. They are about 4" x 6.5".

My problem is how I should do the speakers in order to hide the wires. I could run the sires up and then through the conduit, but they will be visible in that 6-inch space between the TV and mantle. Alternatively I could run them down the back corner of the mantle and over the the equipment to the right... again not ideal.

I was wondering about maybe wall mounting the three speakers on the sides and above the TV and then maybe the wires would be way less obvious on their way to the conduits, because the edges of the speakers would be near the television.

Could you recommend some front wall mount speakers that might work well? We have a 40" Samsung television, although I haven't seen any speakers specifically designed to attach to the TV, so this is probably irrelevant.

Any other suggestions would be great too. I'll post a photo tonight to make this a little easier but figured maybe I could get some ideas in the meantime.

Thanks a bunch!
Old 2009-11-09, 01:04 PM
Administrator

The wires can be run up inside the walls from the basement.

Or you can get speaker to mount to the wall on either side of the TV.

Click on the picture on this page and you will see where I mounted speakers on either side of the TV. You can mount them closer. http://www.phand.ca/index.php?image=6

Another option is a sound-bar. It will contain all of your front speakers and you can place it below the TV on the mantle.

Here's an example:

http://www.atlantictechnology.com/de...asp?NodeId=151
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/

Last edited by GregS; 2009-11-09 at 01:06 PM.
Old 2009-11-09, 01:09 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregS View Post
The wires can be run up inside the walls from the basement.

Or you can get speaker to mount to the wall on either side of the TV.

Click on the picture on this page and you will see where I mounted speakers on either side of the TV. You can mount them closer. http://www.phand.ca/index.php?image=6

Another option is a sound-bar. It will contain all of your front speakers and you can place it below the TV on the mantle.

Here's an example:

http://www.atlantictechnology.com/de...asp?NodeId=151
Your install there looks great, but I guess it would be a little more difficult for me because it's an exterior wall, right? Kind of a pain to try to run the wires down without cutting up more of the drywall, no?
Old 2009-11-09, 01:11 PM
Regular User

The sky really is the limit here. How much are you willing to spend? How big is the room? Will you have a dedicated subwoofer somewhere else or do you expect the wall mounted speakers to handle all the bass? Is the LCD mounted in a exterior or interior wall? Questions, questions, questions.
Old 2009-11-09, 01:17 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerapau View Post
The sky really is the limit here. How much are you willing to spend? How big is the room? Will you have a dedicated subwoofer somewhere else or do you expect the wall mounted speakers to handle all the bass? Is the LCD mounted in a exterior or interior wall? Questions, questions, questions.
The wall is exterior, sofa is about 10ft away, and I'd really like to get the three channels for under $500. At some point I'll do a proper home theatre in the basement, but right now I just want some that are at least as good as my crappy Sony ones that came in the kit, but which I could wall mount or else position in some equivalently eye-pleasing sort of way.

I have a sub-woofer to handle the bass, so I'd just need three 6-16ohm speakers for my fronts.
Old 2009-11-09, 01:19 PM
Regular User

I may want to do something like this in the future when I decide to replace my 25"CRT TV. why not cut out 4 holes in the drywall. three where the speakers are going around your TV and one just behind where the receiver is and just fish the wires from the speakers to the receiver, behind the drywall? the speakers will cover the 3 holes and the 4th hole will be covered by the receiver, but then again you can buy wall plates for speaker wire aswell.
Old 2009-11-09, 02:11 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by homie27 View Post
I may want to do something like this in the future when I decide to replace my 25"CRT TV. why not cut out 4 holes in the drywall. three where the speakers are going around your TV and one just behind where the receiver is and just fish the wires from the speakers to the receiver, behind the drywall? the speakers will cover the 3 holes and the 4th hole will be covered by the receiver, but then again you can buy wall plates for speaker wire aswell.
I was under the impression that it's a huge PITA to fish wires on an external wall like in my case...
Old 2009-11-09, 02:16 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trepex View Post
I was under the impression that it's a huge PITA to fish wires on an external wall like in my case...
Your impression is correct!
Old 2009-11-09, 03:41 PM
Regular User

just pull out that filler they put inside the walls. what's it for anyways? just kidding. i didn't know the original poster was putting his TV on an outside wall.

Quote:
Old 2009-11-09, 05:35 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Your install there looks great, but I guess it would be a little more difficult for me because it's an exterior wall, right? Kind of a pain to try to run the wires down without cutting up more of the drywall, no?
That is an exterior wall.. and on the second floor. Lots of fun, but we got it done and the client was very happy with the results. There is also a pair of in-ceiling surround speakers 14' up too that you cannot see.

If the main floor, it can still be done by drilling up from the basement into the wall cavity and then pulling the wires out through a small hole behind where the speaker will be.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/