Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Appliances and Furniture

Appliances and Furniture What fits? Where to get it? How will it look?

Old 2010-07-19, 11:29 PM
Regular User

Default debating on appliances

I'm moving into my new home in a couple of months and i'm in serious mode for appliances now.

I've been debating between GE Profile and Kitchen Aid. I've also now been wondering about Electrolux, my only concern with them is price.

Any advice or experience you may have with any of these brands is greatly appreciated.

I'm in the market for a 25cu french door stainless fridge, Free standing glass top range (I want gas, wife doesn't, guess who wins), i think we're set on a Bosch dishwasher (based on reviews).

washer dryer i think we're going with Whirlpool Duet, not sure on model.

again, any advice, experiences is appreciated.

thanks
Old 2010-07-19, 11:45 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesboughtahome View Post
I'm moving into my new home in a couple of months and i'm in serious mode for appliances now.

I've been debating between GE Profile and Kitchen Aid. I've also now been wondering about Electrolux, my only concern with them is price.

Any advice or experience you may have with any of these brands is greatly appreciated.

I'm in the market for a 25cu french door stainless fridge, Free standing glass top range (I want gas, wife doesn't, guess who wins), i think we're set on a Bosch dishwasher (based on reviews).

washer dryer i think we're going with Whirlpool Duet, not sure on model.

again, any advice, experiences is appreciated.

thanks
We have the Electrolux slide-in. Solid piece of equipment and looks great in our kitchen!
Sears has the free standing version at $450 off. I believe it also has better reviews at consumer reports.

http://www.sears.ca/product/electrol...ag=3#BVReviews

My co-worker is buying the dual fuel version since his wife likes the look of it. Apparently the sales person gave them a good deal on this one.

We bought a Bosch Diswasher. No problems so far although I find it a bit too small for all my plastic containers that I wash daily. I must admit that I have not used many cycles and end up just pressing the quick wash all the time.

--------------------------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/funrabbits

http://sunburstmirror.blogspot.com

Pictures from Model Homes:
http://www.buildinghomes.ca/communit...ead.php?t=6930

CBC Marketplace show on Spray Foam
http://www.cbc.ca/news/spray-foam-in...able-1.2224287

Last edited by waikiki; 2010-07-19 at 11:47 PM.
Old 2010-07-20, 09:37 AM
Regular User

thanks for the feedback

I find electolux a little expensive

for a similar fridge to the other two brands, was about 1K more.

we'll see if i can get a deal or not.

I know they have 15% off sale right now, takes care of taxes plus a little.
Old 2010-07-21, 03:17 PM
Regular User

We went with Electrolux for our fridge, dishwasher and range. Originally we were only going to get the range with Electrolux because I loved the features and look and it wasnt such a large difference in price for something comparable. I didnt even look at the fridge at first because of the ridiclous price in comparision to Kitchen aid which we were also considering. My husband made the mistake of opening up the fridge and checking it out and I fell in love with it. The ice maker doesnt take up any freezer space cause its in the fridge. Im not sure if kitchenaid fixed this now, but it bothered me that with the french door fridges you had to always close one side of the door first or it wouldnt close properly. The Electrolux doesnt matter. haha not that that is a deciding factor or anything. The dishwasher we only bought because there was a promo from electrolux with a refund cheque if you bought 3 or more appliances so the dishwasher was no more after that refund than buying a cheaper model. The dishwasher is sooooo super quiet. My husband has actually openend it mid cycle to load it, not realizing that it was on. Apparently though the electrolux dishwashers are a little more difficult to install than most regular ones.
Old 2010-07-21, 03:22 PM
Regular User

oh, I forgot, previous to our house we had bought a condo where the builder supplied the applainces, but you could upgrade them They dealt with GE. We did upgrade our appliances, so they werent the basic but not most expensive either. We never had a problem with them(only there maybe 3 years though), but they didnt have the extra features of the stove, the look and extras that our fridge has or the quietness of the dishwasher(and we paid extra to make sure it was a quiet dishwasher). But they definetly did the job.
Old 2010-07-21, 03:52 PM
Regular User

Panda - Which fridge did you buy? We originally bought the Electrolux fridge, but it got terrible review online. After a day of thoroughly combing thru the Internet, we switched to the Samsung counter depth French door.
The main complaint was the ice maker not working, or leaking water down the fridge front. Has this happened? For the price tag of $4k, I was surprised.
Old 2010-07-26, 09:22 AM
Regular User

Everything with the fridge worked fine, except after using the ice maker it made a funny noise sometimes, so I called to get it serviced since it was under warranty.(something about frost build up near the back of the ice maker) And they actually have an "upgrade" kit for the fridges to not only correct that, but some other improvements with the way it dispenses the ice and stuff. Electrolux is doing it at no charge for the previous people that bought this fridge, but now anyone that purchases the fridge it is now made with the improvements.
Old 2010-08-06, 12:12 AM
Regular User

So, i've been to Tasco, find that they have the best prices.

anyhow

we've decided on an electrolux stove (sooo cool, touch screen, convection oven, second oven which is actually a second oven and not a warming drawer)

bosh dishwasher - 5000 series

LG washer and dryer set, we asked the sales guy which brand made the quietest washer and dryer, he said without a doubt LG, plus the model we picked was on sale, pair for 1k (newer model just came out with an LCD screen, i'm sorry i don't need an LCD screen to do my laundry) He showed us that they had the washer on only 3 legs then set it to the highest spin cycle, it didnt vibrate or anything.

The only thing i'm stuck on is the Fridge.

our options are the 29cu Samsung, 26 cu Bosch, 26 cu Kitchen aid, all french door bottom freezer.

I've read all sorts of reviews about the Samsung not making enough ice, but then again, i've read reviews that say if you actually follow the instructions in the manual, you shouldn't have any problems.

All three fridges are about the same price, and all three have similar handles to the stove we picked.

I'll post back when i think we've made a decision.

Oh and if anyone has any of these, let me know what you think of them.

thanks

Homes
Old 2010-08-06, 10:27 AM
Regular User

Hey could you tell me the model number of the stove you got . Is it electric , gas or duel fuel?
We bought a new house too and are now trying to decide on the appliances
I seriously did not think it would be soooo hard
I am thinking of getting the slide in range with 30 " width. Would it fit in to standard kitchen cabinets or would I have to make changes ?
Old 2010-08-06, 12:11 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesboughtahome View Post

The only thing i'm stuck on is the Fridge.

our options are the 29cu Samsung, 26 cu Bosch, 26 cu Kitchen aid, all french door bottom freezer.

I've read all sorts of reviews about the Samsung not making enough ice, but then again, i've read reviews that say if you actually follow the instructions in the manual, you shouldn't have any problems.

All three fridges are about the same price, and all three have similar handles to the stove we picked.

I'll post back when i think we've made a decision.

Homes
I'm also seriously looking at the Samsung 28.5 cu ft as my wife wants an water/ice dispenser. We have a large family and this was the most spacious among the models. (The professional models with the really large capacities over 30 cu ft where way off my budget, but they really look nice!) The Samsung model has dropped at least $700 from standard MSRP from last year (or at $150 from a quote I had from Tasco in Nov 2009). The Electrolux 27.8 cu ft has retained its price but I dont know what the the $1000 price difference gives you..