Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Appliances and Furniture

Appliances and Furniture What fits? Where to get it? How will it look?

Old 2011-06-07, 04:40 PM

Thanks BartBandy. We've now got the 6 guage wire and the 50 amp breaker, but if the 120/240v plug only does 40 amp (or does it come in 50amp as well?), then I'm wondering why the heck Electrolux "recommends" it. I might have not pay the electrician to redo it if I had been certain it wasn't needed. Oh well, I guess better for him to have redone it while that area in the basement below was semi-open than finding out when we move in that it was required and having to rip out basement ceiling to do it!
Old 2011-12-05, 09:37 AM
Regular User

Good thing I'm reading this thread, I'm considering an induction slide-in, looks like our breaker is 40-amp too! Not sure if we should upgrade the wiring before getting one.

Can an induction system save more power in the long run than with a typical glass top range? I know it takes much less time but it draws more power at the same time.

Is it true that anything a magnet can stick to the bottom will work? We have some Corningware (cermanic based) so I'm afraid they won't work anymore. I was considering a hybrid model but I'm not sure if we will fall in love with induction then banging our head not to get the proper one.

Usually we heat up our Corningware with about 4 liters of water to make our pasta. That 4-liter of water would take close to 20-25 minutes in high heat with our glass top range. How long would it take with an induction system in this case?

Much appreciate your help.
Old 2011-12-07, 09:44 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by htsource View Post
Usually we heat up our Corningware with about 4 liters of water to make our pasta. That 4-liter of water would take close to 20-25 minutes in high heat with our glass top range. How long would it take with an induction system in this case?
Very very quickly. Like between 90-120 seconds. A rapid or rolling boil at 2.5mins max.
We LOVE our Electrolux induction. Worth every penny. All of our cookware happened to work by chance, but your Corningware won't work.
I got ours with the 50amp and the appropriate wiring. I wouldn't screw around with that.
Old 2011-12-12, 06:42 PM
Regular User

Just ordered the Electrolux induction slide-in, it will be here this Friday. Can't wait to try it out, it's going to be interesting to our habit not have to wait for pots to heat up!

I hope the 40-amp circuit we have can hold for a bit as I don't think I'll have the electrician to do the wiring in time for the installation.
Old 2011-12-12, 06:59 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Just ordered the Electrolux induction slide-in, it will be here this Friday. Can't wait to try it out, it's going to be interesting to our habit not have to wait for pots to heat up!

I hope the 40-amp circuit we have can hold for a bit as I don't think I'll have the electrician to do the wiring in time for the installation.
Oh yes - 9 months in and everyone is STILL amazed at how quickly it boils!
Old 2011-12-12, 10:14 PM
Regular User

Will try to do the magnet test to see what kinda cookware we can still use, I guess if the magnet sticks then it works? But if one sticks better than other, it means it would heat up even faster?

Does the stove come with any a pan? I was looking at the Kenmore and it comes with one pan.
Old 2011-12-13, 12:47 AM
Regular User

Trying to figure out what we can do to fill out the gap behind the range top? We don't have backsplash yet, and we were thinking to do a stainless steel piece behind from the glass top up to the hood. Then the same piece would bend out at 90 degree just below the surface of the cooktop. That should create a seamless look. We're replacing the hood as well to stainless steel to match.

P.S. I just did the magnet test and looks like even our stainless steel cookware doesn't stick to magnet! Oh no, family members going to be very mad!

If you have any suggestions to fill up the back, let me know,

Thanks
Old 2011-12-13, 07:23 PM
Regular User

they sell filler pieces that go behind the slide-in range. a few minutes on google and you should have what you need. it may be overpriced though, and you might do better with a custom cut and bent piece of stainless steel. pm me if you can't find one.
Old 2011-12-13, 08:57 PM
Regular User

Quote:
P.S. I just did the magnet test and looks like even our stainless steel cookware doesn't stick to magnet! Oh no, family members going to be very mad!
Either the induction ready set at Costco, or the Cuisinart Multiclad Pro set at Caynes:

http://www.cayneshousewares.com/prod...cat=128&page=1

We have this one at it works great with induction.
Old 2011-12-13, 10:13 PM
Regular User

My T-Fal Jamie Oliver set works fine, as well as my Circulon (sp?). Luckily, these were our original pots and I didn't need to purchase new ones.