Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Appliances and Furniture

Appliances and Furniture What fits? Where to get it? How will it look?

Old 2007-02-26, 08:57 AM
Regular User

Default Counter-depth fridge vs. regular depth fridge

We've recently discovered that the fridge we've been planning to get for quite sometime - just your standard $1,000 fridge - will stick out quite far from the opening that Fieldgate has provided. As we have never purchased appliances before, it came as quite a surprise that if you want your fridge to be flush with you counter and cabinets, you are forced to pay almost triple the price!!!

We have considered the fact that a few inches is probably not the end of the world, but our fridge opens into the end of our island and also has a wall on one side, so as well as looking aesthetically horrid, it will also reduce the space between the open door and the island.

Has anyone else run into this problem and if so, what did you do to remedy it? Should we suck it up and go with a cheaper fridge for now or should we save up the extra $$ and get what would look the best?

Thanks!!

The "Jasper", Elevation "A"
Country Lane
Closing: October 18, 2007

Old 2007-02-26, 12:21 PM
Regular User

I've read in various kitchen newsgroups that counter-depth fridge have less space in them... so you want to be sure (if you buy one) that its big enough for your needs.

Depending on your "work flow" in the kitchen, you probably do not need to worry about the space between the island and the open fridge door. As long as there is enough space to open the door fully. Its not like you are going to keep the door open for long anyways.

You could also consider enclosing the fridge on both side and top just so it does not look so much as sticking out. Another option to look at is "sinking" it into the wall behind it (again, assuming its not a load bearing wall). You'll gain 3" or so by doing that. More if you can actually recess it into the room behind the fridge.

Joseph
Old 2007-02-26, 12:43 PM
Regular User

We ended up paying the higher price to get a counter depth fridge and it looks awesome. I think it is worth the price - keep in mind that you will be getting a top of the line fridge with many features (not a typical "$1000.00 fridge").

Steve
Old 2007-02-26, 12:57 PM
Regular User

Counter depth is an extra 1000$ for 5 cu ft less space...

What you can do instead is have the pantry / cabinets pulled ~6 - 7 inches from the wall so that the fridge doesn't stick out:

Old 2007-02-26, 01:32 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcampbell View Post
We've recently discovered that the fridge we've been planning to get for quite sometime - just your standard $1,000 fridge - will stick out quite far from the opening that Fieldgate has provided. As we have never purchased appliances before, it came as quite a surprise that if you want your fridge to be flush with you counter and cabinets, you are forced to pay almost triple the price!!!

We have considered the fact that a few inches is probably not the end of the world, but our fridge opens into the end of our island and also has a wall on one side, so as well as looking aesthetically horrid, it will also reduce the space between the open door and the island.

Has anyone else run into this problem and if so, what did you do to remedy it? Should we suck it up and go with a cheaper fridge for now or should we save up the extra $$ and get what would look the best?

Thanks!!
We have a counter depth fridge and love the look. Itís the same cu.ft. as the normal depth, but it depends on the brand if this is possible, most are smaller.

But in our old house we had a standard depth fridge and it looked fine (standard cabinets as well). I love the way the new one looks, but thinking about it I grew up with a standard depth fridge, my parents still have one today, and it never bothered me. So I think it comes down to personal choice. If you have the money and it will make that much difference to your enjoyment of the kitchen than go for it. If not put the money into something else, a nice backsplash tile for example, etc. Just my 2c.

Mike
Old 2007-02-26, 02:11 PM
Regular User

^
Agreed. We also went for a counter depth fridge as we love the clean look, and didn't want it stick out 5" + from the cabinets. If you can justify the added cost, then I say go for it.
Old 2007-02-26, 02:31 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig & Sophie View Post
^
Agreed. We also went for a counter depth fridge as we love the clean look, and didn't want it stick out 5" + from the cabinets. If you can justify the added cost, then I say go for it.
*AND* if you can justify losing 5 cu. ft. of capacity.
Old 2007-02-27, 01:18 PM
Regular User

shallower isn't often an issue - i'd hate to give up width or height, but i'll give up 4" or 5" of depth. i wish i'd gone with counter depth - my fridge is deeper than i need, and it sticks out too far.
Old 2007-03-08, 10:40 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcampbell View Post
You might want to look at the fridge that has the french door. This will not hit your island.

http://kitchenaid.com/catalog/produc...at=77&prod=869
Own a house near 10th & Hoover Park.

P.S. Username should be John
Old 2007-06-20, 03:45 PM
Regular User

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mart242 View Post
*AND* if you can justify losing 5 cu. ft. of capacity.
KitchenAid makes a 25 cu. ft. counter depth fridge...so you will not loose anything

In our previous house, our regular depth fridge stuck out like 7 or 8"...we were lucky that we had laundry behind so we ended up taking the wall out & we pushed the fridge inside to the max, so it had that "counter depth look" & it was priceless...since I never realized that it would stickout so much