Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Appliances and Furniture

Appliances and Furniture What fits? Where to get it? How will it look?

Old 2007-08-28, 03:13 AM
Regular User

I think you may be right on the appliance front, as long as there is a ULC certification, but checking with your underwriter is never a bad idea. Insurance was one of a list of items that made us decide to avoid shopping south of the border, as was a concern that we would not be able to find a gas appliance installer if the product(s) failed to be certified to Cdn TSSA standards - they probably would have, but we didn't want to take a $10,000 gamble. Hey, we all know insurance companies are in the business of looking for excuses not to pay...they're certainly not in the business of helping us when we suffer catastrophic losses.

As for picking an underwriter that services countries outside Canada (ie. USA) that could be a bad idea. With those companies, they pool their losses from things like Gulf Coast hurricanes across all their policyholders, so your rates can go up as a result of something that happens in a foreign country. It isn't supposed to happen that way legally afaik, but there does seem to be strange statistical correlations for companies like State Farm etc. between US natural disaster losses and Cdn rate hikes. That doesn't commonly happen with Canada-only underwriters afaict.
Old 2007-08-28, 09:58 AM
Administrator

So again, if the appliance breaks down, you will be footing the bill yourself for someone to repair it? Average minor appliance repair is a couple of hundred dollars. The more 'high tech' you appliance, the more expensive the parts for it.

My washer/dryer blew its board about a year after purchase and warranty covered it.

My fridge thermostat died after 4 years and warranty replaced it.

I don't think your place of purchase in the US will come up and fix it, and I know the Canadian entity of the manufacture will not either.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2007-08-28, 11:59 AM
Regular User

Yeah, I didn'teven think about that part.... I'd have had to truck or trailer it back across the border, leave it for repair, go back again, bring it back across the border into Canada.... with all the customs amusement....
Old 2007-08-31, 07:49 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregS View Post
So again, if the appliance breaks down, you will be footing the bill yourself for someone to repair it? Average minor appliance repair is a couple of hundred dollars. The more 'high tech' you appliance, the more expensive the parts for it.

My washer/dryer blew its board about a year after purchase and warranty covered it.

My fridge thermostat died after 4 years
and warranty replaced it.

I don't think your place of purchase in the US will come up and fix it, and I know the Canadian entity of the manufacture will not either.
Greg, my impression for normal warranty, parts and labour, for all appliances is 12 month from date of sale. Did you purchase extended warranty for that fridge ?
Old 2007-08-31, 10:12 AM
Regular User

Appliance Canada offer extended warranty up to 5 years from date of purchase/delivery.
Old 2007-10-30, 12:23 PM
Regular User

Default Appliances bought in USA will be covered under manufacturer warranty in Canada

Hi,

I spoke to Sear Canada about price match for Sears USA and they declined.

However they did tell me that for appliances bought from Sears USA, they will honor the manufacturer warranty if I got the appliances checked and certified as CSA approved.

Also, I could buy an extended warranty plan from Sears Canada for these appliances.

Does anyone know how to get the aplainces CSA approved and what will it cost for the same?

Thanks
Atul