Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Appliances and Furniture

Appliances and Furniture What fits? Where to get it? How will it look?

Old 2007-10-23, 11:09 AM
Regular User

Nothing is finalized yet, I will be cutting out some of the items, to try and get the total for this round of upgrades down to around $85,000
Closing Date: August 23, 2008
Old 2007-10-23, 11:19 AM
Regular User

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonPhelps View Post
Nothing is finalized yet, I will be cutting out some of the items, to try and get the total for this round of upgrades down to around $85,000
That's good to hear...I feel you should really forget about the plywood...put that money into kitchen cabinets, since if you ever decide to sell your house, people will much rather pay for nicer cabinets than plywood which they don't even see Plus not sure if your hardwood is standard, but that's another upgrade worth doing after closing & you don't pay the builder mark-ups & have much larger choice in available wood vs. few builder samples.
Old 2007-10-23, 11:20 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrob View Post
Those laundry uppers you can probably get for cheaper if not from the builder, unless you want to match them to your kitchen cabinets. The gas line if done after closing, might also be cheaper... Humidifier will also be cheaper if purchased separate. The Microwave range hood...is that for actual microwave or just a diff. cabinet so you can fit your microwave there??
You're right about the laundry uppers. I thought it was reasonable until I started asking a few people. Our linen closet is next to the laundry room so we can use that to put our detergent and stuff in.

The microwave hood fan is for a Frigidaire microwave hood fan and I hope they install it. I'll ask on Friday when we go for our design appt.
Old 2007-10-23, 11:31 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanners View Post
You're right about the laundry uppers. I thought it was reasonable until I started asking a few people. Our linen closet is next to the laundry room so we can use that to put our detergent and stuff in.

The microwave hood fan is for a Frigidaire microwave hood fan and I hope they install it. I'll ask on Friday when we go for our design appt.
Did you check how much the Microwave costs if you buy it yourself?? Since you will be installing the appliances, maybe the person doing it can install the microwave for you & will cost you less...
Old 2007-10-23, 11:33 AM
Regular User

15k for 9' ceiling in basement! Wow. I paid 3k for mine and my house is 2400sq ft (so basement = ~1200sq ft - garage of ~400 sq ft)
Old 2007-10-23, 11:37 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mart242 View Post
15k for 9' ceiling in basement! Wow. I paid 3k for mine and my house is 2400sq ft (so basement = ~1200sq ft - garage of ~400 sq ft)
It is a lot...but many builders feel they can charge whatever they want, since they know people want it & have no choice but to pay...so they take advantage, since this is one upgrade you can't do after closing
Old 2007-10-23, 12:39 PM
Regular User

Actually you can, and 15k is about the price it's gonna cost you to do it afterwards. The house can be raised after construction. It's not an easy process, but it's doable.
From what I've seen, the builders nowadays tend to charge the price it would cost to modify the house afterwards for most upgrades.
Old 2007-10-23, 12:40 PM
Regular User

Wow. I cannot believe how much people spend on upgrades through a builder. 100K?? It's crazy IMO for a builder house. For that much money in upgrades I'd look at a custom home builder. With interest rates so low it's easy to just add it on to the mortgage I guess but I myself couldn't sleep at night.
Old 2007-10-23, 12:59 PM
Regular User

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark & Lynda View Post
Wow. I cannot believe how much people spend on upgrades through a builder. 100K?? It's crazy IMO for a builder house. For that much money in upgrades I'd look at a custom home builder. With interest rates so low it's easy to just add it on to the mortgage I guess but I myself couldn't sleep at night.
Not sure what you mean by 'builder house'...after you do all these changes, your house is not really standard anymore...but custom, at least to me, since my neighbour's will not look the same. I have seen houses selling for more than $1,000,000 from "the builder" & people spend almost another $1,000,000 on upgrades...yes double what the house cost ... Wycliffe houses in Kleinburg, Ont. is one example...so now $100,000 does not seem all that much anymore Plus if you are planning on staying in your house for 20 years, why not spend the money - it's an investment.

Plus building a custom house is not as easy as it looks, more steps to go through, more headaches plus you need to buy the land first...

I don't recommend people spending $100,000 on upgrades from the builder, since you are overpaying on most of that stuff...so if you can do any of those things after closing, that's the best option !
Old 2007-10-23, 01:53 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonPhelps View Post
This is just my structural upgrades
6 9'-0" BASEMENT CEILING HEIGHT $15,000.00
18 10'-0" MAIN FLOOR CEILING HEIGHT $15,000.00

19 9'-0" SECOND FLOOR CEILING HEIGHT $15,000.00
Wow. $15K per floor but your house will be 4' higher than your neighbours' . Who is your builder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanners View Post
I too am looking for laundry upper cabinets and saw some white pre-built cabinets at Home Depot for $160 and thought it's decent for laundry since you only use it for keeping detergents and stuff.

We spent $30K on upgrades on mostly structural, kitchen cabinets and maple hardwood stairs - things that are difficult or costly to change once the house is built.

Anyone finds a good place to get a countertop for the laundry room? It is 32" deep and becomes a custom size ($$$) vs standard 25" deep for the kitchen.