Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2011-09-11, 01:03 PM
Regular User

Default To those who switched out of Direct Energy ...

... how is your experience so far?

Tried to downgrade my water heater with Direct Energy but the company will charge me about $225 +HST to replace the water heater.

So now considering other companies in Ottawa for a rental water heater.

TIA.
Old 2011-09-11, 03:22 PM
Regular User

When I moved into my first house 7 years ago they had a guy going door to door the day we moved in. I was green at the time and asked the guy "well, what about Union Gas?". He said "this is Union Gas". A remark that got me out of the contract 2 weeks later. Not to mention the fact they had a cell phone with them and signed me up that way. Both are huge no no's!

The guy also told me I needed to sign up right away as gas was going to hit .40 cents soon. I don't think it's hit .40 in the 7 years since he told me that.

Direct Energy = Scam job.

Sorry - you're talking water heater, not heat. Guess I'm still a little testy. =)
Old 2011-09-11, 04:33 PM
Regular User

More than likely any company that will give you a new water heater without charging much for the install will be looking for a long term contract (some for 15+ years).
Old 2011-09-11, 05:23 PM
Regular User

Could use more info on your tank. 225$ would suggest to me your current tank is using ABS venting under 15ft. That 225 is to bring the new tank up to todays code using 636 pvc venting. The option instead of that is to rent the vent for 2.75$ a month. The de competition door knockers offer free venting.. you just pay higher rent.

Downgrading or upgrading is no charge on a case by case basis. I have down graded a few Minto home owners from high efficiency tank to low efficiency power vent many times at no charge. Home owner does loose there energystar rating on there new home but the savings in rental costs was a lot. Again minto request the tanks not the home buyer.

The actual downgrade should be free, but it must be installed to today's codes. Sometimes that will cost you something. Be it gas line,venting,electrical or plumbing that can be extra. Have a tech in for a call they will give you the full storey for your particular install
Old 2011-09-11, 07:19 PM
Regular User

Thanks. TKG, house is 18 months old so it's up to code but there is a little bit of work since current tank is taller than other models so there would be some materials and maybe an hour of labor (my estimate, not company's).

At $260 is practically my estimated savings for about 15 months. So I guess I better check with MDW that we are not moving for at least two years then I would be better off switching.
Old 2011-09-11, 07:30 PM
Regular User

Your current tank is an envirosense? With the display screen on the front? 2 pipe venting? Have you had a tech over yet? We usually contact our field manager to see what can be done for you.
Old 2011-09-11, 09:11 PM
Regular User

We have a tankless hotwater heater...what would the savings be if we switched to a high efficiency tank?
Old 2011-09-11, 09:25 PM
Regular User

your at about 80% now, high efficiency would put you in the 95% range but rent goes from 35 to 50+ depending........ not worth it..

The use of High eff tanks by the builder to me is a bad move if they use them strickly for hot water. What the builders should be doing to justify the high cost of these tanks is to offer the home buyer radiant floors where tiles are and in the basement. And offer super soaking showers
Old 2011-09-11, 09:41 PM
Regular User

I was hoping for radiant floor. Absolutely no dice. They would not even entertain the idea.