Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Basement Finishing and Renovations

Basement Finishing and Renovations Has it been 2 years already? Time to work on finishing the basement into some extra living space.

Old 2013-03-07, 10:00 PM
Regular User

Default Pot light help

We are about to do electrical for the basement and I really feel like I should have spent more time reading up on lighting.

I went to pick out pot lights tonight and felt overwhelmed. So many choices in size and style.

I was hoping someone could give some advice?

It's about a 28 x 15 space with a bulk head running down the middle. The ceiling height is between 7 and 8 feet.

We are looking at having a well lit room.

So any idea how many, how far apart, what size pot light and what style would suit us best?
Old 2013-03-08, 12:52 AM
Regular User

To give you an idea.. this room is approximately 13 x 23 feet.
It has 14 pot lights around the perimeter. I have another room that I installed lights more in a sheet across the whole room but I prefer this a lot.

The lights are arranged over top of the sitting areas and in front of the fireplace.

I would say that this is good lighting but if you wanted it "really" well lit, you should consider more. It is bright enough that we have it on a dimmer. Also consider if you are going to have other lighting in the area at all (i.e., floor lamps).

These lights were the retrofit style. I do not remember the exact model, but they were the mid-range BAZZ lights from Rona. I worked with other retrofit pot lights and much much prefer how these are installed (screw it tight rather than snap-up tight).

For my new install in the basement, I went with HALO from Home Depot. Mine were IC rated because I was putting insulation in the joist space. I found the HALO ones, IC and non-IC easiest to install. I think they are a little more expensive (you need to buy two parts - the base and the valence) but worth the cost.

I started with MR16 bulbs but switched to PAR20. The are brighter and have a better light spread. The bulb itself is bigger though so that may be a bit of a style consideration. It is not like the old-style big bulb pot lights but bigger than the MR16. With the HALO, you get a special adapter to install the PAR20.

Also, consider that the bulk head will stop the light and cast a shadow so make sure there is light on each side, and not too close to the bulkhead itself. You want to go further away from the bulkhead than you would normally away from a wall (18 inches).

Hope this helps!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1545 (1280x960).jpg
Views:	261
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	10534  
Old 2013-03-09, 01:00 PM
Regular User

one of several similar>> http://blog.pegasuslighting.com/2010...-4-easy-steps/