Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Basement Finishing and Renovations

Basement Finishing and Renovations Has it been 2 years already? Time to work on finishing the basement into some extra living space.

Old 2012-11-29, 07:52 AM
Regular User

Default The Bisk Theater and Basement Construction Discussion

Iím looking to start a thread for my basement finishing project but Iím sure the majority of my questions will be regarding my Man Cave. Iíve attached a picture of my proposed layout for the entire basement. The green arrows with the numbers in them correspond to the pictures that I took of the basement at this time. The direction that the arrow is pointing is the direction that I took the picture.

Flooring Ė right now the concrete is painted with Benjamin Moore concrete paint and I was thinking whether or not I should put self-leveling concrete on top. Will I need to remove the paint before applying the self-leveling concrete? Iím also planning on putting a sub floor down and Iíve pretty much decided on either DRIcore (www.dricore.com) or Tyrock (www.tyrocinc.com). I was leaning more toward the Tyroc as it doesnít have any organic material in it whatsoever and in the event that I do ever have any moisture in the basement it wonít grow mold on it.

Insulation Ė The builder put up R12 bagged pink insulation and Iíll be removing that before I put up the exterior walls. Iím not sure if the added expense of going spray foam will be worth it over the pink insulation. Iíd like to get some quotes to see how much more Iíd be paying for spray foam. Would it be OK if I put home wrap between the studs and the concrete walls whether I go with spray of pink insulation. This way I can put up the walls, electrical and plumbing while I decide. If I go a couple months without insulation, will I notice a difference going from R12 to no insulation?

Man-Cave
Setup - Iím currently running a 120Ē screen in the room with 7.1. Do you think the room size is appropriate for this setup? I was thinking that the screen is a little too large and Iím considering changing to something smaller. Iím hoping to be able to hide all of the speakers as well. Iím planning to build a false wall at the front with speaker fabric covering it along with columns for the individual side and rear speakers.

Seating Ė I was hoping to be able to go 2 rows (1 with 3 seats and another with 2 in the rear).

Equipment Ė The equipment will be stored in the Furnace Room in my server cabinet. Iíve got an IR Blaster that Iíll be putting at the front of the Man-Cave and run into the cabinet.
Sound Proofing Ė Iíve been doing some reading around here and I think detaching the walls and ceiling from the floor joists will be a good way of isolating the room from the rest of the house along with possibly doing two layers of drywall and Green Goo between them. How will I attach the one wall along the I-Beam?

Man-Cave Ceiling Ė Iíd like to do a soffit and have a nice Octagon shape to it. This way I could do crown molding with rope lighting on the inside and have pot lights along the exterior. This would also allow me to run all of the cabling around the room without having to cut into the studs.

Old 2012-11-29, 12:47 PM
Regular User

For starters, I would put as much time, research and effort into the guts of your basement finish as you have into the glory of your home theatre. Iím specifically referring to your comment re: insulation. Do it right. In regards to your subflooring another great product is barricadeÖCanadian made.

Spray foam is about 3-4 dollars per sq/ft for I believe 2 inches deep. Based on your floorplan a quick calc for spray foam would be about 2500.00 Ė 3500.00, headers can be expensive to fill. More expensive but done in ONE day.

If you go the old fashioned way, more effort but it will cost you less than 1000.00 to do you ENTIRE basement all exterior wall including headers. I would again go with Roxul.

If you are worried about sound travel then you need to start literally at the foundation. Caulk cracks, reinforce flooring, ensure, spray foam gaps, crevices, it ALL counts.

Roxul safe and sound is a great and affordable product to assist in sound proofing. Depending on your ceiling, I think you mentioned a coffered ceiling you can incorporate specialty ceiling tiles that 1) look great 2) assist in sound deflection. Keep in mind low frequencies are not as easy to prevent (bass). I have safe and sound in my basement and it does a great job for my application.

Iím not 100% convinced the server rack in the ENCLOSED furnace room is the best idea. Have you thought about incorporating a dedicating cut out with ventilation in your room with all connection run to this location?

I get the idea of a dedicated ďtheatreĒ but I noticed you obviously have kids. Just a suggestion, in lieu of boxing off everyone have you considered a more open concept, may be putting pocket doors on the kids room and drop the hallway wall?

I can tell you from personal experience, I love my theatre but I also like that my kids can be playing within a few feet, someone is at the computer desk or we may just all be on our custom lazyboy couch, popcorn in hand watching Cars for the umpteenth time. Just a thought.
Old 2012-11-29, 09:02 PM
Regular User

This basement isn't far off mine.

i don't really see the need for self leveling cement. Is there an issue in the basement?

As for Dricore, I personally don't think its needed unless you have a moisture issue in the basement.

Spend your $ on sprayfoam, it is worth every penny.

And make sure you insulate the ceiling with safe and sound material to keep the HT noise from going upstairs.

as for closing off the man cave, I'd agree with RFD I like to see my kids when I am down in the basement watching TV or whatever. Personally I would leave that open as closing it off is going to make it all feel cramped.

Make sure the door on your furnace room is big enough to get a hot water tank through. You'll need to do that eventually.

And I think the bar is lost over there in the corner. I'd put it over where you have the storage at the top of the pic and move the storage to the bottom. If you open up the man cave this will be a much better design.
Old 2012-11-29, 11:41 PM
Regular User

You can look at Lowes, they have a DIY spray foam kit that covers 600 sq. ft. for around $700.00

For soundproofing look at resilient channel in combination with Roxul in the ceiling.
Old 2012-11-29, 11:48 PM
Administrator

I have to agree with spray foam. We've done about a hundred basements and all the ones that were spray foamed are cozy.

I'd stick with the man cave theatre. I'd want something I can close off and keep the sound in and not disturb the sleeping kids upstairs.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2012-11-30, 01:00 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffjc View Post
unless you have a moisture issue in the basement
if there is any sign or belief you have moisture issues do nothing until you address the moisture problem do not mask it, you will be sorry
Old 2012-11-30, 09:17 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregS View Post
I have to agree with spray foam. We've done about a hundred basements and all the ones that were spray foamed are cozy.

I'd stick with the man cave theatre. I'd want something I can close off and keep the sound in and not disturb the sleeping kids upstairs.
if he's to keep the man cave, I'd switch the location of that and the kids play area and still put the bar back where the storage is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	house.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	10334  

Last edited by jeffjc; 2012-11-30 at 09:24 AM.
Old 2012-11-30, 09:34 AM
Regular User

Quote:
if he's to keep the man cave, I'd switch the location of that and the kids play area and still put the bar back where the storage is.
Much better floor plan makes more sense and makes it feel more open than the first floorplan kinda closed off feeling with walls here and there
Old 2012-11-30, 03:23 PM
Regular User

Quote:
i don't really see the need for self leveling cement. Is there an issue in the basement?
To gauge if you need the self-levelling cement, you should take the longest level you can find or something else that is perfectly straight. Lay it on edge across the floor to look for dips and lumps. Without this, it will likely look fine to the eye.

If you do not use the cement, look to use something else to level it out. Not necessary if you are going carpet but needed if you are going with laminate or wood.
Old 2012-11-30, 03:53 PM
Regular User

Thanks for all of the replies guys!

As for removing walls around the Man-Cave, that's not an option. Like Greg said, I want to make it as sound tight as possible as to not disturb the family when I've got a movie cranked.

I'd like to go the spray foam route as well. What I'm thinking about doing is removing the bagged insulation from the walls and putting up the walls, doing the electrical and plumbing this winter. Will removing the insulation while I do this work affect the temperature of my living spaces upstairs? I know that the basement will be cooler, but I'm not really concerned with that since we don't use it right now.

As for the sound proofing productions, are there any places in the Hamilton area that I can buy them?