Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Basement Finishing and Renovations

Basement Finishing and Renovations Has it been 2 years already? Time to work on finishing the basement into some extra living space.

Old 2013-01-13, 02:08 PM
Regular User

Default Basement layout help

Hi all,

Wondering if anybody out there can help me decide on a good layout for my basement. My wish list in order of importance is as follows:

1) open concept
2) living room/area
3) bathroom with shower
4) furnace room
5) home theatre room or area (doesn't have to be an enclosed room)
6) 1 bedroom or area that can be converted in the future
7) future kitchen
8) bar
9) area for future pool table

Our basement is a walkout facing south with bay windows on the right side and double doors at the centre of the rear of the basement. It's kind of L-shaped, 30 feet wide and just over 50 feet long along the right side of the picture. Total area is about 1200-1300 square feet.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5S-...U5Z0pLRzQ/edit

Using Sketchup, I started off with the bathroom and furnace room, but beyond that it's hard for me to envision a good layout.
Would love to hear some layout ideas from the not so creatively-challenged users out there.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by djBern; 2013-01-13 at 02:11 PM.
Old 2013-01-13, 03:03 PM
Regular User

I think you are trying to put too much into that space. The bedroom will have to go where a window is for starters.
Old 2013-01-13, 03:21 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffjc View Post
I think you are trying to put too much into that space. The bedroom will have to go where a window is for starters.
Thanks Jeffc. What if I scrap the home theatre room and combine it with the living room/area.

Also, I was thinking of making the upper-left corner the bedroom, but maybe I can just leave it open and put a murphy bed or something.

Maybe I should scrap the kitchen from my wishlist too. Leaving my wishlist looking like this:

1) open concept
2) living room/home theatre area
3) bathroom with shower
4) furnace room
5) bar
6) area for future pool table
Old 2013-01-14, 12:41 AM
Regular User

A few questions...

Is budget a concern?

Would you use the bedroom on a regular basis? If so I would vote no? Don't dedicate valuable space to a room used 2 weeks of the year.

Do you really need a shower?

Basement can feel pretty closed? I would vote for open concept unless you were building something very specific like a dedicated home theatre room.

Also sketchup is great but I would give this a go for your purposes. http://www.floorplanner.com/
Old 2013-01-14, 08:05 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.F.D. View Post
A few questions...

Is budget a concern?

Would you use the bedroom on a regular basis? If so I would vote no? Don't dedicate valuable space to a room used 2 weeks of the year.

Do you really need a shower?

Basement can feel pretty closed? I would vote for open concept unless you were building something very specific like a dedicated home theatre room.

Also sketchup is great but I would give this a go for your purposes. http://www.floorplanner.com/
I'm sure budget will come into play once everything is conceptualized.

Great link! I'm trying it now and so far it's much easier than Sketchup. Just gotta play around with different layouts.

Thanks! This will help a lot.
Old 2013-01-15, 09:36 AM
Regular User

do you want anywhere for storage that is unfinished? or a closet?

Kitchen's are expensive to put in and could add a lot. A shower is nice but not always necessary (we didn't put one in).

If you aren't putting a bedroom down there, then there isn't much need for a shower IMHO. I'll try to mock something up when I get a few minutes.
Old 2013-01-15, 01:42 PM
Regular User

Thanks JeffC,

The main reason a bedroom was in my wishlist was for a possible in-law suite, or even a possible rental sometime in the future. So I guess a shower makes sense just in case we do go with either of the above. In the meantime, I'd like the basement to be fully usable as recreational space for now.

At first I thought of putting a bedroom in the area by the cold cellar, but since there are no windows there I guess I can't. The only other area I can use would be the opposite corner where there is a window, which should work too. I guess I can leave it open initially, then if/when we decide we want a bedroom we can always enclose that part afterwards.
Old 2013-01-18, 06:42 PM
Regular User

I'm really liking that floorplanner site! Thanks again R.F.D.

I'm also following the Bisk basement thread as my layout is almost the same as his.

Here is what I came up with for now. I have a server rack beside the fuse panel so I thought I'd enclose it and make it a storage room(bottom of the picture). The top right corner of the picture will be the living room/theatre area. The top left corner of the picture will be left open for now, and can either be turned into a bedroom or a kitchen, depending on how we decide to use the basement after. To create separation but still keep an open concept I added a half-wall.

A 2d/3d viewable page of my floorplan can be found here: http://pl.an/yf3e4v
Any suggestions would be welcome.

Name:  Screen Shot 2013-01-18 at 6.26.54 PM.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  8.5 KB
Old 2013-01-19, 07:55 AM
Regular User

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by djBern View Post
I'm really liking that floorplanner site! Thanks again R.F.D.

I'm also following the Bisk basement thread as my layout is almost the same as his.

Here is what I came up with for now. I have a server rack beside the fuse panel so I thought I'd enclose it and make it a storage room(bottom of the picture). The top right corner of the picture will be the living room/theatre area. The top left corner of the picture will be left open for now, and can either be turned into a bedroom or a kitchen, depending on how we decide to use the basement after. To create separation but still keep an open concept I added a half-wall.

A 2d/3d viewable page of my floorplan can be found here: http://pl.an/yf3e4v
Any suggestions would be welcome.

Attachment 10389
Nice layout, but if it were me for more of an open concept feel I would remove the wall beside the pool table for more open concept & better sightlines, & try to keep the furnance room the smallest you could, the smaller you can make the furnance room, you can gain that much of space in your living space.

Good Luck !
Old 2013-01-19, 10:22 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selvi View Post
Nice layout, but if it were me for more of an open concept feel I would remove the wall beside the pool table for more open concept & better sightlines, & try to keep the furnance room the smallest you could, the smaller you can make the furnance room, you can gain that much of space in your living space.

Good Luck !
whoops, look like that wall reset itself. It was supposed to be a half-wall. I may scrap it but I guess I can wait until near the end to decide if I want to keep it or not.

As for the furnace room, there's also a big HRV unit and some low ductwork in there that I wanted to hide. The floorplanner site didn't have those to pick from so I couldn't show it on there. Maybe I'll just draw them in somehow. I did move the wall slightly to make the bathroom a bit bigger.

Here's an updated layout with added elements, some of which we already have (exercise equipment and table soccer game). Also, I added our cold cellar. Does anybody see any issues with having the storage room there? http://pl.an/qtu68a

Name:  2D.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  10.0 KBName:  3D.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  8.9 KB