Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Basement Finishing and Renovations

Basement Finishing and Renovations Has it been 2 years already? Time to work on finishing the basement into some extra living space.

Old 2013-02-04, 12:17 PM
Regular User

Interesting product but does tyroc have enough ground clearance to allow for sufficient air flow? What does it cost per square foot?
Old 2013-02-04, 01:36 PM
Regular User

I think its on par breathing wise with dricore.. More so than barricade..
My guess. Its like 20 cents more than dricore I believe. Healthier to work with and live with
Old 2013-02-17, 04:02 PM
Regular User

ok, so im leaning towards barricade. I saw tyroc in person and looks a little thin to me. I need warm feet..
Old 2013-02-25, 07:10 PM
Regular User

Default barricade vs rigid\osb

Has anyone layed down their own foam with ply or osb? Mike holmes and other contractors do this but my only concern is the lack of space under the foam.

I was thinking 1" XPS and osb
Old 2013-02-26, 09:01 AM
Regular User

Nileguy, I think you maybe overthinking this. Those episodes of HOH that you are watching I think are "pre dricore" type flooring days. Similar to the episodes where he uses rigid foam on the walls, that has all been replaced with spray foam. The methods all still work though. It appears you are concerned about floor temp. I sent you pics a few weeks back depicting the difference between bare floor and barricade covered floor temps. Barricade was 5 degrees warmer, I can walk in bare feet, you will not be disappointed, you build your non load bearing walls on top, you do not lose much headspace, you can do it yourself...I think its a no brainer. work Rona get the 15% weekend then sign up for their rona card and get another 10 - 15 percent.
Old 2013-02-26, 10:59 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.F.D. View Post
Nileguy, I think you maybe overthinking this. Those episodes of HOH that you are watching I think are "pre dricore" type flooring days. Similar to the episodes where he uses rigid foam on the walls, that has all been replaced with spray foam. The methods all still work though. It appears you are concerned about floor temp. I sent you pics a few weeks back depicting the difference between bare floor and barricade covered floor temps. Barricade was 5 degrees warmer, I can walk in bare feet, you will not be disappointed, you build your non load bearing walls on top, you do not lose much headspace, you can do it yourself...I think its a no brainer. work Rona get the 15% weekend then sign up for their rona card and get another 10 - 15 percent.
+1
We put Barricade down a few months ago and it's great. Quick and easy to install, warm on the toes, walls on top.

My only concern was where it meets the step because it would make the last step a bit shorter. When I emailed a friend who has worked at Home Hardware forever, he said "Did you ever notice the height difference in my basement?". When I realized I never noticed I proceeded.

My point is, it's awesome. A bit pricier than other options, but it's worth it IMO.
Old 2013-02-27, 10:09 AM
Regular User

Quote:
I was thinking of saving a couple of bones that all. But after thinking of what it would take to get 4x8 sheets of anything in my basement barricade is the winner.
If you dont mind explaining the "work rona get 15%" do you mean actually work there for a weekend??
Old 2013-02-27, 10:16 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrudge View Post
+1
We put Barricade down a few months ago and it's great. Quick and easy to install, warm on the toes, walls on top.

My only concern was where it meets the step because it would make the last step a bit shorter. When I emailed a friend who has worked at Home Hardware forever, he said "Did you ever notice the height difference in my basement?". When I realized I never noticed I proceeded.

My point is, it's awesome. A bit pricier than other options, but it's worth it IMO.
Thanks grudge,
I thought of a landing since its tight there for me anyways.
Old 2013-02-27, 11:04 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileguy View Post
Thanks grudge,
I thought of a landing since its tight there for me anyways.
no not work there unless your interested what I was referring to is to "work them" for a discount. So they often have 15% off weekends, then if you get a rona card and you spend X amount you get another 15% which is compounded for 30%. 30% off 6.99 per tile adds up quick and makes it all more worthwhile.

I had a similar issue at the bottom of my stairs, however I could not put a landing because I had no headroom, plus there was a door to the left when you came down. I talked to the inspector and he had no issues with the difference of the last step which was minimal, I was able to shim and get an extra 1/4 inch below the stairs, it is really not noticeable.
Old 2013-02-27, 03:19 PM
Regular User

Quote:
no not work there unless your interested what I was referring to is to "work them" for a discount. So they often have 15% off weekends, then if you get a rona card and you spend X amount you get another 15% which is compounded for 30%. 30% off 6.99 per tile adds up quick and makes it all more worthwhile.

I had a similar issue at the bottom of my stairs, however I could not put a landing because I had no headroom, plus there was a door to the left when you came down. I talked to the inspector and he had no issues with the difference of the last step which was minimal, I was able to shim and get an extra 1/4 inch below the stairs, it is really not noticeable.
ok cool thanks.