Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2006-10-12, 05:12 PM
Regular User

Default Unavailable Upgrades

Hey Everyone,

I'm just wondering if anyone has approached Mattamy about additional upgrades that were not listed on the "upgrade pricing package" and what they were told.

I know that I would like to have 9' basement ceiling (makes the basement much more enjoyable and when it comes time to finish there is less work involved accounting for all the bulkheads for HVAC). I asked the Mattamy sales agent about this and was told "No, Mattamy will not be offering 9' basement ceilings as an upgrade". "I know that when I was working for a previous builder they charged around $11,000 for that".

I was stunned. By reading other builder forums I would have thought it would be no problem to do a 9' basement and would only cost $1000-$2000 bucks. It is an unfinished space!
Old 2006-10-12, 05:20 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffyRocks
I asked the Mattamy sales agent about this and was told "No, Mattamy will not be offering 9' basement ceilings as an upgrade". "I know that when I was working for a previous builder they charged around $11,000 for that".

I was stunned. By reading other builder forums I would have thought it would be no problem to do a 9' basement and would only cost $1000-$2000 bucks. It is an unfinished space!
FWIW, I'm paying ~3k for that with Tamarack (2400 sq ft house) and I wouldn't buy a house without that. My current basement is standard height and an extra 1' makes a huge difference in there!
Old 2006-10-12, 05:29 PM
Regular User

Default Taller basement

Mart242 - How are they doing your 9' basement? Cinder Block or taller concrete form. What is the actual price?
Old 2006-10-12, 05:34 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffyRocks
Mart242 - How are they doing your 9' basement? Cinder Block or taller concrete form. What is the actual price?
Taller concrete form. I'll have to check the actual price at home. I'll try to remember tonight but can't guarantee it... I've got a big overnight car rally saturday and we need to prep the car tonight!
Old 2006-10-12, 06:00 PM
Regular User

I know that a couple of friends who were considering buying a Mattamy home were shocked when I told them that 9' basement was not an available option. They are currenlty living in huge home in Stone Bridge (Barrhaven) and that is the only thing they regret not upgrading back when.

Anyone else have "upgrade options" in mind that were not listed in the package (and I'm not talking "shark tank" or "brass pole" in the bedroom - this is not Barrhaven and you can add that afterwards, if you so desire!).
Old 2006-10-12, 10:57 PM
Regular User

BuffyRocks,

I would not take no for an answer

Maybe if you talk to the people at the design center? Or maybe call the sale person manager. At the very least, maybe you can get the real reason why they do not want to do 9' basement.
Old 2006-10-12, 11:17 PM
Administrator

Many of the Mattamy homes in Milton I have serviced have 9' ceilings. It's quite nice.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2006-10-13, 09:49 AM
Regular User

We're waiting to hear if the railings on the second level of the Sandfield are available. (The open concept house with the tall fireplace)
Although they're in the model, they're not listed in the design catalogue. It's listed as "kneewall". When I called Kim, she said she'd have to check to see if they were available to us as an option.

That's a huge difference in the way that interior looks.
Old 2006-10-13, 09:53 AM
Regular User

Do they offer a 200amp electrical service upgrade? That's something you might want to consider.
Old 2006-10-13, 10:08 AM
Regular User

200 Amp service is available for $650 which I think is very reasonable, thank you Mattamy for at least getting one upgrade option at a reasonable rate.

Now offer me a low-voltage (non-electrical) wiring conduit from my basement to my attic and I will be a happy camper.

C