Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2007-07-10, 05:45 PM
Regular User

Question Ceramic vs. Hardwood floor

Is it more expensive for the builder to give us a ceramic floor compared to the hardwood floor?
Here is the background:
We had the option of having our kitchen/nook floor either hardwood or ceramic at no extra charges. Since we have an open concept kitchen that is attached to the family room (which is hardwood) we decided to go with h.w. throughout to get a nice flow and avoid the metal border between ceramic and h.w. As I mentioned, the builder did not charge nor credit us for this change. However, I think it costs more for the builder to put a ceramic floor than hard wood. May be I am wrong, not so sure .
The ceramic that the builder offers is Olympia and good quality.
Old 2007-07-10, 06:49 PM
Regular User

prince, I don't know about the cost difference but here are some possible negative points about hardwood floor in the kitchen that I could think of

- water spilling

- leaky appliances

- heavy traffic area for pets and children

Of course you could always refinish the hardwood before you sell but that's some extra cost and labour to keep in mind.
Old 2007-07-10, 07:51 PM
Regular User

Same here for tamarack. You can switch from hardwood to ceramic and vice versa. No credit, no extra.

I have an open concept dining room / great room / massive kitchen (~12 x 20) and I went with hardwood everywhere. It's much nicer. There are somedays that I'd rather have ceramic but that' snot only for kitchen, it's for when my son plays with toys or I drop something and I can't help but think about the poor hardwood floor.. For the kitchen, just put a small carpet in front of fridge (if water dispenser) as well as sink / dishwasher.
Old 2007-07-11, 09:47 AM
Regular User

Generally, the better 'deal' for the homeowner would be to take ceramic. The reason for this would be the fact that ceramic costing would include an extra underlay that would have to be laid on top of your subfloor that is required for ceramic but is not needed for hardwood. Then the other varible is the type of hardwood that they would install. Since their are manys types of hardwoods, then they could only be offering a very inexpensive choice, therefore lowering their costs more.

The advantages of the ceramic in the kitchen is obviously the ease of clean whereas with hardwood, you have to watch out for the spills and appliance leaks etc. as mentioned above.

If you like ceramic, perhaps you should ask the builder what they'd charge you to change the flooring in the family room from hardwood to ceramic? Then do ceramic throughout both areas..
Old 2007-07-11, 09:52 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
If you like ceramic, perhaps you should ask the builder what they'd charge you to change the flooring in the family room from hardwood to ceramic? Then do ceramic throughout both areas..
This is something I thought of doing but ceramic doesn't have a warm feeling like hardwood. Young kids + ceramic is also not the best combination when it comes to play time or learning to walk.
Old 2007-07-11, 09:58 AM
Regular User

That is certainly a down side..and their not the best under foot in the morning in the winter time!!
Old 2007-08-26, 01:09 AM
Regular User

Default Lets have some ceramic and a lot of hardwood!

The picture attached (No, it is not our kitchen although I wished but you can get the idea) shows an alternative for having both worlds in the kitchen. Of-course there would be an extra charge to pay to the builder (about $900 in our case). We could have the whole kitchen ceramic at the same price as H.W. but we chose to have ceramic only in that area of the kitchen that is more exposed to water. This was of course an upgrade leading to extra costs The rest would be H.W at no extra charges! Wow!!!

The picture is borrowed from Princiotta's web site http://www.princiotta.com/princiotta.../kitchens.html. A builder from Ottawa that builds really nice ($$$) houses. Beautiful pictures there also
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kit13.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	515  
Old 2007-08-26, 08:31 AM
Regular User

We had that option as well however we choose ceramic as we thought hardwood is just to delicate for the kitchen, with the kitchen being high traffic and the chances of spillage and dropping things it just can't stand the abuse like ceramic.
Old 2007-10-10, 10:20 PM
Regular User

Default Love Hardwood

We currently have hardwood in our kitchen in Kanata. It is Mirage (prefinished) flooring and was installed about 10 years ago. We have had absolutely no problems with spills, water, damage, etc. I have 3 children (now grown up) and had a daycare in my home. Wood is warm and looks great. It is SO easy to maintain and clean. I love it and will be putting hardwood in the entire first floor of our Tamarack home. Only place we will put ceramic is front foyer, bathrooms and laundry room.
Old 2007-10-11, 09:02 AM
Regular User

Thanks Laurie - we're really agonizing over what to do. I'm also worried about the patio door in the breakfast area. I don't know how your house was laid out but did you have any issues there? Our patio door will be the main access to the back yard and I'm worried that future kids and dogs will be pretty hard on the floor there...