Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Basement Finishing and Renovations

Basement Finishing and Renovations Has it been 2 years already? Time to work on finishing the basement into some extra living space.

Old 2014-12-08, 02:02 PM
Regular User

Default Basement Progress Pictures

I intended, once upon a time, to document the process of finishing my basement. Unfortunately with kids and other commitments, I wasn't able to do a very good job of documenting the project online.

I'm now ready for paint so I took a few pics last night and went back in and grabbed some older pics from a few months ago.

This house is a "Bristol" model by Tamarack, and the recessed box area you see is going to be a bench. This follows the fairly typical design of what Tamarack does in their Bristol basements, but I went a bit more "Mike Holmes'y".

The basement floor is the Barricade subfloor (installed by me), the framing is Bluwood (installed by me), the spray foam is by a company here in Kingston called EcoComfort, and the drywall and mudding were done by friends of friends who are in the trade of hanging/mudding. Needless to say the drywall was put up in a day and the mud was done by a pro, so both were done faster and better than anything I would have attempted.

This is my second basement, and I obtained permits this time. I'm not a pro, but I would say a more than capable DIY'er. If anyone has any questions about anything or can borrow an idea or two please feel free to ask and borrow!

Oh, the spray foam only runs from the bottom of the steps around to the furnace room covering 99% of the finished area. Only the wall the bench is on (the garage wall) is stuck with the builder junk
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bench.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	12675   Click image for larger version

Name:	Looking Back.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	12676   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ready for Primer2.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	12677   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ready for Primer.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	12678   Click image for larger version

Name:	Resilient.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	12679  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Windows2.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	12680   Click image for larger version

Name:	Windows.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	12681  

Last edited by TheGrudge; 2014-12-08 at 02:37 PM.
Old 2014-12-09, 06:34 AM
Regular User

Looks great. Home depot behr new drywall primer is my favourite fyi.

What is the flooring plan?
Old 2014-12-09, 09:44 AM
Regular User

Thanks.

The plan for the floor has changed a few times, but I think we're going to go with carpet.

We looked at laminate as well, but given the room is a fairly big "L" shape that will be divided into a home theatre room/kids play area, we thought the carpet would feel a bit warmer and help a lot to both enhance the sound of the home theatre AND reduce some of the noise of the kids playing down there.

Also, while laminate would be cheaper, we would have to have a guy in to carpet the steps thereby shrinking the price difference. I'm also going to have my electric guitar down there and it all sounds better on carpet IMO.

All that said, if I were to consider my two kids, my 85lbs dog, and what the hardwood looks like upstairs...I should be painting the Barricade floor and calling it a day. =)

Last edited by TheGrudge; 2014-12-09 at 09:46 AM.
Old 2014-12-09, 11:17 AM
Regular User

It will be great.

One suggestion is to add some colour to the primer from any can you have - much easier to see any little drywall spots that need a fill and sand.
Old 2015-03-11, 12:12 PM
Regular User

looking great!

Is that resilient channel you used for the ceiling for the drywall to attach to? I can't tell from the pics but are your joists engineered and is this still necessary to have the channels?
Old 2015-03-11, 12:18 PM
Regular User

Yes - engineered floor joists and resilient channel.
The area is now a home theatre room so I built it with as much soundproofing in mind as possible. I also filled the cavities between floor joists with Roxul Safe N' Sound.
Old 2015-03-13, 03:23 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrudge View Post
Yes - engineered floor joists and resilient channel.
The area is now a home theatre room so I built it with as much soundproofing in mind as possible. I also filled the cavities between floor joists with Roxul Safe N' Sound.
cool thanks I'll check this out