Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2009-01-28, 08:17 PM
Regular User

Default New Fences

We have been in our house now for 7 months, and are staring to think about fence in the spring. The football field communal back yard just isn't working anymore.

I am wondering how this works in the new neighbourhoods. Do companies usually come and talk to the neighbourhood looking for business. Obviously most people will share 2-3 sides of fence with various neighbours. If anyone has gone thru this and has any info it would be appreciated. I want an idea of pricing so we can budget, but that depends if all my neighbours want fence. Is it too early to be talking to neighbours? But everyone is going to have to talk to everyone. I can talk to my neighbour, but then they will have to talk to theirs, etc. This seems very complicated.

Old 2009-01-28, 09:56 PM
Regular User

What one of our neighbour did last year was to print out a small flyer with the date and time of a meeting (in the evenings to give people chances to attend) and she invited a fence contractor to come over to take measurements and gave us some quotes on said date.

It worked out quite well, i'd say at least 10 families showed up. Some decided they did not want to do fences right away and that was their calls. We decided to go ahead (not with that contractor but with somebody else who had better rates) and that's it and that's all.
Old 2009-01-29, 12:42 AM
Regular User

In my neighbourhood we had the communal football field until last August when the fences started going up. Some did it in groups, some went their own way individually, some were "free riders". My neighbours on each side and behind are perfectly happy without fences....so far.

My advice is that be verrrry careful allowing your fences to go up on property lines. Both sides of the fence would then be (equally) responsible for any\all future maintenance\repairs, even if you didn't pick the fence or contribute to it, even if you don't particularly think the fence needs it but your future neighbour thinks it does and can convince a JP.... I'm not sure if municipal bylaws can affect it, but I know that every province has laws on the subject. Lots of people do it, but just consider it carefully.
Old 2009-01-29, 01:21 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikejon View Post
In my neighbourhood we had the communal football field until last August when the fences started going up. Some did it in groups, some went their own way individually, some were "free riders". My neighbours on each side and behind are perfectly happy without fences....so far.

My advice is that be verrrry careful allowing your fences to go up on property lines. Both sides of the fence would then be (equally) responsible for any\all future maintenance\repairs, even if you didn't pick the fence or contribute to it, even if you don't particularly think the fence needs it but your future neighbour thinks it does and can convince a JP.... I'm not sure if municipal bylaws can affect it, but I know that every province has laws on the subject. Lots of people do it, but just consider it carefully.
I agree to be careful in planning your fence but I don't agree about being equally responsible if the fence your neighbour puts up is exactly on the lot line. To start with if the fence needs to be painted/stained/maintained on your side and you don't get along with your neighbour then you could prevent him from tresspassing on your side of the fence (I would think).

If you wanted to paint your side with purple polka dots there is not much your neighbour could do about it.
Hopefully what I"m mentioning would not happen but it is something to consider when deciding on a fence.

Questions I see arising are...

If you want a fence and you want to have full access to both sides maybe it should not be exactly on the property line but inside the line maybe 6" to a foot.
What do you do if your neighbour approaches you about sharing a fence and you both have a different idea about what material/style you want the fence to be made of?

If you both decide to put up a fence but can't agree on type of fence do you both put up a fence so you end up with 2 fences side by side?

What if neighbour doesn't want to share the cost?

What if you can't agree on colour?

Do you get the style/type of fence you want by being the "first" to put up a fence?

When /if I put up a fence there is a good chance I will be putting it up myself. Saves money but also gets you the style/type you want. Our lot is fairly large though so could get quite costly so do I want this expense anytime soon? (Our lot lines are 150' on one side, 116' on another and then 99' up to the front again so not far off 400')

Moved in finally September 25th '08!!

Last edited by bmcnally; 2009-01-29 at 01:28 AM.
Old 2009-01-29, 08:15 AM
Regular User

Also note that if you do decide to put up your own fence, the "good side" must be facing your neighbor. There is a "good neighbor" by-law or something about it. Whenever the fence topic comes up, this is always a touchy area.

I guess it's deisgned to avoid having people sabotage others. Lets say I want to put up a fence and my neighbor doesn't want to chip in on it. Then I say, ok, I will put it on my property and paint the side facing my neighbors striped yellow and purple or something godawful like that. That should teach them for being cheap right? Wrong. The by-law prevents that. In fact, if there is a nicer side of the fence, it is to face the neighbor (who subsequently isn't paying for it or having it on thier property).
Old 2009-01-29, 09:13 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcnally View Post
When /if I put up a fence there is a good chance I will be putting it up myself. Saves money but also gets you the style/type you want. Our lot is fairly large though so could get quite costly so do I want this expense anytime soon? (Our lot lines are 150' on one side, 116' on another and then 99' up to the front again so not far off 400')
Hey Bob...You can cut those numbers down drastically. Although those are your lot dimensions you won't be fencing your entire lot. Just the backyard. (unless you are putting in a moat and bridge too!)

If you both decide to put up a fence but can't agree on type of fence do you both put up a fence so you end up with 2 fences side by side?

It is written in our P&S agreement that there will be no "double fencing". I am glad about that. I don't like the look of 2 fences a foot apart. Looks like neighbors will have to agree or go without. Hopefully we can all agree. A fence shouldn't be something that starts a war between you and your neighbor.
Old 2009-01-29, 09:16 AM
Regular User

The first step seems to be to find out if the grading is signed off. Does anyone know who you contact for this.

Old 2009-01-29, 09:21 AM
Regular User

After lots of research last night. I think that what I am going to do is this.

All the companies will give you prices assuming neighbours are pitching in. So you get a price based on a centre lot etc. We are in the centre. So I will do this with a few companies, and a few materials. Then I will type up something with the numbers and put it in all the centre neighbours along our side and the back. The thought is then maybe set up a meeting for a few weeks later and everyone can decide what they want to do.

What materials should I get quoted for?

Old 2009-01-29, 09:50 AM
Regular User

The HRTC 15% tax credit might come into play for this item as well. !!

That's quite a bit of savings considering a fence is a couple of thousand.
Old 2009-01-29, 10:01 AM
Regular User

It does. Fences are specifically listed, so I am hoping everyone will want to do it this year instead of next.