Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2008-09-14, 04:52 PM
Regular User

Default Tartan's "Ellis" connect single, model home pictures

We were at the model home today taking measurements and making final electrical decisions, and I decided to take a few pictures to share with family and friends. Since I have them, I thought someone might benefit from seeing them in terms of design decisions or what have you.

Here they are:
Exterior (coincidentally in our assigned colour scheme, and our choice of elevation). Our front door will have two panes of glass in it, however:

Kitchen:
There is an eating area 'behind' the picture. We have added 5 under-cabinet puck lights to this, and are also having 9 potlights.

Great Room:
The eating area is between the kitchen and great room. How awful is it that we may purchase the exact same sectional? I'm glad the model had the maple floors...the model definitely sold us on them.

Living Room:
We will probably use this as a quiet area for the kids...with a desk and some books/furniture. The other side of the double-sided fireplace is in this room (the 'first' side is in the great room pictured above).

Soho West - Kanata

Uh...make that Trailwest...

Last edited by noordinaryotter; 2008-09-14 at 04:57 PM.
Old 2008-09-14, 04:54 PM
Regular User

Dining Room:
Located at the other end of the living room (it's one living room/dining room). You can also see the entryway...this picture is taken toward the front of the house. Entrance to the basement on the left near the entry, the powder room just beyond it. We will have a window in the stairwell as we purchased an end unit.

Basement:

Another basement view:

Soho West - Kanata

Last edited by noordinaryotter; 2008-09-14 at 09:47 PM.
Old 2008-09-14, 06:24 PM
Regular User

Nice pictures... the kitchen has little contrast in color - it just sort of blend all together as one color.
Old 2008-09-14, 07:34 PM
Regular User

I like the stone on the outside of the model home. Are you going with a similar stone or a brick?
Old 2008-09-14, 09:17 PM
Regular User

Yeah, it's rare to find such matchiness. I do think it works, though we won't choose the same scheme in our house. We are going with darker cabinets along with the maple floors.

We chose elevation 2 which is always stone (because we liked the stone a lot too). They chose the colours of everything though. When we were first looking, they were charging a premium for elevations, but now they're all the same price. Mind you, while they were charging, they were also offering a design centre bonus--in addition to the standard $5000 bonus--for the amount of the elevation upgrade you chose.

Soho West - Kanata

Last edited by noordinaryotter; 2008-09-14 at 09:21 PM.
Old 2008-09-15, 01:28 AM
Regular User

Thanks for posting the pictures. Its always nice to see different models and how they decorate them.

Moved in finally September 25th '08!!

Old 2008-09-15, 10:30 AM
Regular User

I'd be interested to hear ideas on what to do in terms of design decisions for the kitchen cabinets, counter top and backsplash. We do plan to keep the maple floors.

Soho West - Kanata

Old 2008-09-15, 01:46 PM
Regular User

I am also interested in knowing what everyone else would do.

We're doing natural maple flooring as well, and we were thinking of doing the maple cabinets with a black countertop, but it really worries me that it'll look yellow and too matchy matchy. However, done right I think it can look amazing.

This is sort of what we are using for inspiration. I'm not sure if we want to do stainless steel or just black on black appliances. It's really hard to decide.
Old 2008-09-15, 02:02 PM
Regular User

Hey Dennis&Sarah,

I think it depends. Given that your countertop is black, if you go for black appliances, it may be just a bit too much. Since the floors will match the cabinets and then the appliances with the countertops. I think that the stainless steel may be a nice break.

As long as you balance out the rest of the furniture/accessories in the room, I do not think that it will look too yellow.

Half Moon Bay
Finally moved in and lovin' the place!!!
Old 2008-10-03, 11:13 AM
Regular User

Hey Guys,
For the kitchen, we are changing up the look quite a bit, I have used Google Sketchup, it is a free 3D modeling tool that is pretty user friendly, see the picture for what our kitchen will look like. This is what we are planning to go with, both layout and styles:
  • "Cloud White" shaker style cabinet
  • Medium grey paint for the entire house
  • The kitchen floor will be a dark brown procelain tile
  • White glass tiles for the backsplash (counter to ceiling)
  • Stainless steel behind the stove
  • White granite countertop
  • The open shelves will be a dark brown, espresso style to match our floor
  • Also putting in a wine cabinet and shelve with a vertical sliding door above the fridge
  • Deleting the over the range microwave
  • Putting in a new hood fan
  • Modifying the pantry by pulling it out to 18" to accomodate for a microwave shelf
  • Going with a farmhouse style sink

I think that is about it, just waiting to hear back from Ottawa Valley Kitchens for the total price on everything.

-tyler
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KitchenV3.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	434.4 KB
ID:	3068  
Happy to be at home!