Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2017-11-20, 08:56 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by swales View Post
If only management cared

I've had terrible after service care and even management could care less, I spoke to manager, general manager and none of them gave a rats a**, had to contact the owner to get any movement and even that was a struggle. Like you said, everything else about the process was good but after they get your money the service goes down the toilet.
I think it's important for the owner to know. I view HN as the middle ground between mass production builder and custom builder and if they're letting the ball drop with the home coordination process, they're losing whatever competitive edge they were aiming for.
Old 2017-11-20, 09:10 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by southside View Post
100% Agree with the other posters, the home coordination process has not been as expected, and at times frustrating.

We were suppose to be done months ago, it can at times take up to 2 weeks to get a response usually only responding after we would have to reach out again.

The interior designer and the kitchen cabinet designer were both on vacation during times that we were suppose to meet with them according to the schedule (Which we were told we absolutely had to adhere to) should that not have been known ahead of time and factored in?

We found it tiring having to double and triple check the documents we are sent as they often have mistakes and errors despite it being pointed out multiple times.

Really not what we were expecting from HN (Perhaps the bar was set to high) the product looks fantastic and the sales and interior designer process was very smooth and both gentlemen were great to deal with.

I think they are growing too fast, and selling more properties then they are used too and don't have the staff in place to handle the volume.
That's exactly what I went through and thought. The only thing I'm not sure about is growing too fast. RSS is not their first neighbourhood so I would hope they have figured out the pace of the process by now. Maybe there's a lack of communication between management and the home coordinators to notify when people are on vacation. But I'm leaning towards they're not hiring the best for the job or the salary isn't enough to hire what they're expecting. Mistakes, needing reminders for requests made a month ago, and leaving all follow ups to the client is a personel issue. Even when I'm busiest at work, I will still carve out time in my day to respond to emails or send quick check-in with clients to let them know I haven't forgotten about them. Heck even a "I'm not sure, I'll have to talk to management to get more information" is better than responding a week later. These are just common courtesy, and quite frankly common sense, for client services.

I can't wait for my new home but this is a sore subject for me.

PS, southside, we seem to be on a similar schedule. Are you a townhome or single?
Old 2017-12-11, 10:15 PM
Regular User

I realize I'm posting a lot but I'm just curious if there are any other townhome owners on Dolce! I'm excited to know who my future neighbours will be / get to know the people who will also be sneakily trying to take pics over the next few months.
Old 2017-12-12, 10:07 AM
Regular User

To all those having some problems - yeah the end product is worth it

My experience with customer care after moving in has actually been quite good. Quick to respond to emails and err on the side of let's fix it and ask questions later. (Swales did you build with HN in Riverside South?)

I will agree the home co-ordination process needs improvement.

There was a great blog post by the owner of Tartan about why building 5-35 homes or 150+ homes a year will work, but building 50-125 homes per year is difficult to be successful: http://tartanhomes.blogspot.ca/2011/...vs-custom.html - Tarion builder directory shows HN is currently at 42 for this year - so probably going through the growing pains of scaling up.

That said if you're patient, know what you want and can work through the small details, you will get a very nice home out of it.

Last edited by caehlan; 2017-12-12 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Rambling
Old 2017-12-12, 10:23 AM
Regular User

While I'm here - tomorrow night there is a public meeting to review the proposals for the 2 new parks going in where HN is building in Riverside South. Details are here: https://ottawa.ca/en/residents/recre...arks-12-and-15

Personally I was hoping at least one of the parks would have a water feature (splash pad would be nice).

Anyway make sure you give your feedback otherwise the design gets decided by people who never have to actually use the park
Old 2017-12-12, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yowtowhere View Post
I realize I'm posting a lot but I'm just curious if there are any other townhome owners on Dolce! I'm excited to know who my future neighbours will be / get to know the people who will also be sneakily trying to take pics over the next few months.
Not on dolce but we're on guardians grove so we're technically still neighbors!
Old 2017-12-12, 12:49 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by caehlan View Post
There was a great blog post by the owner of Tartan about why building 5-35 homes or 150+ homes a year will work, but building 50-125 homes per year is difficult to be successful: http://tartanhomes.blogspot.ca/2011/...vs-custom.html
Nice blog. I ended up reading quite a few of the articles, many of them were quite informative, thanks!
Old 2018-01-23, 09:25 PM
Regular User

Anyone with the Kenson - what structural changes have you made? We were considering expanding the garage? Anything else anyone is doing?
Old 2018-01-23, 09:26 PM
Regular User

Hope there will be a splash pad
Old 2018-03-27, 12:33 PM
Regular User

Unhappy RIP Pasha Romance Tiles

Did anyone else have to re-select their tiles after finding out that the Pasha Romance White tiles were discontinued? (Not HN's fault - they have been super helpful in finding a replacement)