Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2010-02-19, 11:50 PM
Regular User

Default monarch home - traditions

can sombody share experiance for upgrades cost with monarch home (traditions)?
Old 2010-02-20, 09:19 AM
Regular User

Hey,

I am just going through the design appointments now with them. I have the upgrade booklet, so if you have some more specific questions, I can try provide some pricing (please PM). Obviously some of the upgrades will be model specific. I have the Pine Valley.

If you don't have a referral, Monarch offers 500$ to each party. It'd be awesome if you used me

General Comments:

- Overall, I would say the standards are in the middle of what other builders have. Of course some builders prices are higher as they offer more included. It always boils down to the final price, which really is hard to compare between builders.

- Monarch has 2 model homes that are considered standard in that they only use the 10k bonus offered. However, in those houses, the potlights are not included, so ignore the ceiling lighting . I would suggest visiting them both, one is in traditions, one in stonebridge.

- If you are thinking of purchasing a model that doesn't have a model home, ask the builder to setup an appointment to view an owner occupied model.

- The design centre has or used to have an open house every saturday 10-2. I would suggest you visit. Recently, it hasn't been open, but I am not sure why. You might want to ask the Sales Centre before you head over to Stonebridge to visit.

- Kitchen is sub-contracted through Kitchen craft. Standard cabinets are maple. Pots drawer was around 500. Increase uppers to 40.5" was 1000. Glass corner was 350.

- Ceramics - Divided up into 5 categories (A, B, C, D, E). At least in the 40', you get the standard. Some of the standard tiles are actually not bad. I went with level B for most, which cost around 1700 total (for my model).
- Carpet - Same as ceramics. I didn't look much at carpeting as I was going to rip it out anyway. Underpad was 1600 throughout.

- Flat ceilings. Only offered main floor. $750. Fairly good price compared to what i've seen others post from Ottawa builders.

- Potlights. I think the cheapest i've seen posted in Ottawa. 152 for 5" white baffle recessed. 162 for 3 3/4" adjustable gimble. 153 exterior.

- Faucets - Actaully cheaper than doing it afterwards. Quite surprised with this one.

- Monarch is fairly rigid on what they'll change. They will not change major things in the design. If you want to move walls, add windows, etc, they will not do this. You are not able to increase the basement height. This didn't affect us. They no longer will add conduits (not to pleased about this one). But overall the upgrades prices are lower compared to prices i've seen posted from other Ottawa builders.

- If you purchase, let me know, we'll be neighbours.
Old 2010-02-21, 09:10 PM
Regular User

thank you for you information, we purchased Pebble Beach and I was thinking also to do some upgrades in the kitchen. I heard that standard is not that nice. Do you have prices for pantry and crown molding? What about countertops, are the standard nice or it should be upgrades also.
Old 2010-02-22, 12:43 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapica View Post
thank you for you information, we purchased Pebble Beach and I was thinking also to do some upgrades in the kitchen. I heard that standard is not that nice. Do you have prices for pantry and crown molding? What about countertops, are the standard nice or it should be upgrades also.
Kitchen:

I thought the standards were ok compared to other builders. Personally I liked the standard cabinet style and stains. All I did was increase the uppers height, added pots drawers, glass, other smaller things. The standard cabinet hardware is good as well.

Subcontracted through Kitchen Craft. All kitchen prices can only be quoted once you visit them, so I don't know how much the optional pantry is.

Finishes (Oak or maple):
Any of the Integra and Aurora non black glaze are standard.
http://www.kitchencraft.com/finishes_palette.aspx

Styles (Oak or maple):
Traditional and Traditional Cathedral are the standard. You can see them here:
http://www.kitchencraft.com/door_style_guide.aspx

Thermofoil is available as well. Style Coventry, Soho or Manchester Solid. See Aurora for stains.

Countertops:
All laminate choices are standard. I found ones that were nice. I didn't price out any granite, quartz, etc. If you goto the open house you can see the selections.

Crown:
Price will likely vary depending on the model.

3"
dining/living 813
family 360
4"
dining/living 824
family 368
5"
dining/living 845
family 576
Old 2010-02-22, 10:45 PM
Regular User

thank you, we have tomorrow structural appoitment so will see
Old 2010-07-29, 12:19 AM

Default Monarch upgrade listing - HIGHLANDS BRAMPTON

Hello...

First time posting....

Does anyone have the listing for upgrades for monarch?

I recently purchased a home in 'highlands' brampton... If you do could you please pm or send me via email

it would be much appreciated!!!

Thanks!