Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2007-06-23, 10:36 PM
Regular User

Default Smooth ceilings

I was shocked when i went into the design center today and was told that Mattamy no longer has smooth ceilings as an option. Instead it's stipple or something called orange peel or California knockdown costing 3,306 and 3.936 for homes under 2000 sq. The only reason i figure they drop the smooth is to allow the stipple to cover all the mistakes. So frustrating
Old 2007-06-23, 10:47 PM
Regular User

Yup. Stipple is great to cover all mistakes and much faster to do.

I'd never go back to stipple (but it's not as bad if they leave you a 4" smooth strip around the perimeter). The main issue with stipple is if you ever want to replace ceiling fixtures, you can go with something bigger but not smaller because you can't add stipples where there are none (well, you can, but it's not easy)
Old 2007-06-26, 02:47 PM
Regular User

This is what I was told:

"Our Design Centre Manager confirmed that we no longer offer smooth ceilings. It is a stipple ceiling - however wet rooms such as the kitchen, laundry room, etc are finished smooth as a standard.

With the smooth ceiling upgrade, we found that the variations from the floor joists were actually showing through the drywall, at some points creating shadows in the ceiling. Finishing in stipple eliminates this and allows for a better finish of the ceiling."

Not sure how I feel about this yet. I want to think some more on it.
Old 2007-06-26, 03:59 PM
Regular User

Hmmm there's truth to this. Stipple ceilings aren't very attractive but they are better than a poorly finished flat ceiling. And since TARION is pretty usless in this case you may be best off to suck it up and enjoy your stipple...
Old 2007-06-26, 04:15 PM
Regular User

Thumbs up

It's nice to have smooth ceilings but only if they are done right. We took that option from our builder & had a major issue on how "smooth" they really were So they pretty much ended up re-doing all of our ceilings in entire house...the guy they sent was very nice & did more than what he was offiicially told to do, since drywall company was not happy doing it from the beginning, since it's money out of their pocket. I really pushed them to fix it but it was a lot of hassle to go through, with scaffolds in our two storey family room, sanding & painting...I sure am glad it's all over now

But no matter how good they are done, it will never be as smooth as drywall & in some places, I can still see the slight imperfections. But I was told that it is normal, since you never get it perfect. But still prefer my smooth ceilings over stipple.

Plus we got a great deal on our smooth ceilings for only $2,000 entire house which is 4,111 sq. ft large
Old 2007-06-28, 02:21 PM
Regular User

They did my ceilings two weeks ago, and I got stippling every where (up and down) except those mentioned wet-rooms. The 70's are back I guess. Since the house I'm about to leave did not have stippling, and i could see all the defects (that developed with age), I'm hoping I get used to it.