Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Basement Finishing and Renovations

Basement Finishing and Renovations Has it been 2 years already? Time to work on finishing the basement into some extra living space.

Old Yesterday, 08:40 AM
Regular User

Still pondering the structure.

How about a 12 inch extension of the short joists where the joint is spanned by a 4 ft 3/4 plywood glues and screwed to the side?

Or add full length I-joists?
Old Yesterday, 08:53 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by good2know View Post
Still pondering the structure.

How about a 12 inch extension of the short joists where the joint is spanned by a 4 ft 3/4 plywood glues and screwed to the side?

Or add full length I-joists?
Both would not be easy as there is ductwork up against both sides of the beams maybe 4-5 inches to work with. The full length is likely out due to the way the foundation for the Stone fireplace sits since i would not have a ledge to rest on, it is cut out like you would for a staircase opening and nailed in from the end into a cross brace tied into the outer joists. Changing that out would be a nightmare. plus it would require likely a 24' beam and I don't think I could even get it down there to put it in place.

the other thing I noticed is some of the joists are warped where they overlap. Tight at the top but the bottom is out up to 1/2", should I bolt them together to pull it back into place? or would that likely cause other issues? It may have been like that since it was built or it happened when the house was moved.
Old Yesterday, 11:45 AM
Regular User

I hate to adjust things that have been sitting for a long time. Id be inclined to leave it alone.
Old Yesterday, 12:20 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by good2know View Post
I hate to adjust things that have been sitting for a long time. Id be inclined to leave it alone.
That is what I was hoping to do as well but thought I would put it out there for a second opinion. Kinda thinking the same thing for the beam. It has been like that for who knows how long. There is not a lot of weight above it either other than kids jumping around.