Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Building and Construction

Building and Construction General topics of building a home and the home construction industry.

Old 2009-04-07, 09:32 PM
Regular User

Default Extend Kitchen?

Hello,
I would appreciate some opinions on this. We have to decide on structural changes and this is one thing we are considering...

We're looking at different options to add a little more counter space in the kitchen. One option is to extend the kitchen/dining room wall one foot to the left, narrowing the entrance to the kitchen/dinette area by one foot. I realize we're really not adding that much more kitchen, but it's relatively cheap ($100 structural plus the cost of cabinets/counter) to do and we're wondering if there would be any consequences. Our only concern is that of course the entrance would be more narrow. Currently the opening is about 5 feet, so it would be 4 feet if we lengthen the wall. So...

Do you think it's better to have a wider opening?

or

Do you think it's better to add more counter/cabinet space to the kitchen?

Finally, do you see any reason not to do this other than the size of opening?

TIA!

The entrance to the house looks directly at this area.
Old 2009-04-07, 10:19 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcol27 View Post
Hello,
I would appreciate some opinions on this. We have to decide on structural changes and this is one thing we are considering...

We're looking at different options to add a little more counter space in the kitchen. One option is to extend the kitchen/dining room wall one foot to the left, narrowing the entrances to the kitchen/dinette area by one foot. I realize we're really not adding that much more kitchen, but it's relatively cheap ($100 structural plus the cost of cabinets/counter) to do and we're wondering if there would be any consequences. Our only concern is that of course the entrance would be more narrow. Currently the opening is about 5 feet, so it would be 4 feet if we lengthen the wall. So...

Do you think it's better to have a wider opening?

or

Do you think it's better to add more counter/cabinet space to the kitchen?

Finally, do you see any reason not to do this other than the size of opening?

TIA!

The entrance to the house looks directly at this area.
I don't think that adding 1 ft will make a big deal of difference in your kitchen. As per narrowing the entrance, I think the wider the better. One of our kitchen entrances is under 4' which is pretty good but our entrance to the house is 5' and it feels pretty spacious. Although I would love to have a walk-in pantry I would probably consider relocating it to the end by your patio doors(?) and adding more counter space/cabinets in the location of your current pantry.

--------------------------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/funrabbits

http://sunburstmirror.blogspot.com

Pictures from Model Homes:
http://www.buildinghomes.ca/communit...ead.php?t=6930

CBC Marketplace show on Spray Foam
http://www.cbc.ca/news/spray-foam-in...able-1.2224287
Old 2009-04-07, 10:59 PM
Regular User

If it's possible, you could relocate the patio doors to the dinette area and put smaller windows in its place. Move (centre) the island and then extend your counters and cabinetry all along the back wall where the patio doors where. Finally, move the sink to the newly formed back wall in front of the window. This should give you plenty of counter space.
Old 2009-04-08, 08:16 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianT View Post
If it's possible, you could relocate the patio doors to the dinette area and put smaller windows in its place. Move (centre) the island and then extend your counters and cabinetry all along the back wall where the patio doors where. Finally, move the sink to the newly formed back wall in front of the window. This should give you plenty of counter space.
Sounds good but I don't think builder would make that many changes.
Old 2009-04-08, 11:25 AM
Regular User

I disagree, I think the one extra square foot will make a difference - I say go for it esp for $100 - that's a good deal!
Old 2009-04-08, 01:28 PM
Regular User

I think you'll really regret narrowing the kitchen entrance.

i think you should eliminate the "pantry", which will give you a ton more counter space and more than enough cupboard space to make up for it. it will be much more efficient than your current plan, will open up the space, and will look much more attractive than a standard white door in the middle of your kitchen.

if you really think you need pantry space, you can get proper pantry cabinets installed where your fridge is and move your fridge over to make space - even 2.5' wide would be huge. i expect you'll have to pay about $1K for them though.

i'd also suggest putting your microwave over the stove if you're tight for space (gives you a much bigger microwave and you save on replacing your builder's crappy range hood), or if you keep the microwave shelf, get the cabinet over it pushed out a few inches to match the depth - this looks much better than a standard shelf.

good luck.
Old 2009-04-08, 01:31 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianT View Post
i really like this idea too - a proper U shaped kitchen with centre island is always attractive & useful.

one more thought - it's difficult to properly vent plumbing on an island - watch out for slow draining sinks with your current layout.
Old 2009-04-08, 04:51 PM
Regular User

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

We have considered the pantry and we will wait to price it out to see how much it would be for the extra cabinets and cupboards. I'm really on the fence though because I love the idea of the pantry but I do find it makes it seem smaller. I also like the space it provided and I 'm not sure we'll recoup that if we go for a cabinet pantry. Any thoughts on that?

I also considered the "U-shape" and I have a request in with the builder on that but I'm pretty sure they do not add/remove/change windows in this home. I asked about another window previously and that was the response, but I'm trying again.

Oakvillehomeowner: Thanks for the head's up on the island. If we keep the pantry I don't see any other location for the sink. If we lose the pantry we might be able to move things around a bit.

Thanks again. Any other suggestions, feel free to add!