Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Building and Construction

Building and Construction General topics of building a home and the home construction industry.

Old 2009-04-14, 02:01 PM
Regular User

Default What does "unexcavated" Mean and Why ?

When ever I look at floorplans I always see some "unexcavated" space in the basement specially below Garage. Some time its quite large.

Why do the builders leave unexcavated space and can it be ever used after the house is build.
Old 2009-04-14, 02:07 PM
Regular User

un-excavated means they are not excavating it. under the garages, they do not have a room or part of the basement, therefore it is un-excavated.

Typically under the porch is "un-excavated". There is no room under there. Now, if you pay for a cold storage room they WILL excavate this space and put it under there.
Old 2009-04-14, 02:34 PM
Regular User

Sad thing is they actually excavate the space and refill it after the foundation is poured. All that extra space wasted! Though I guess I can see why they don't want to build any rooms under the garage....
Old 2009-04-14, 02:37 PM
Regular User

Ok That makes sense Thank you.

So they want to keep garage in level with ground instead of roadway to Garage to be inclined upwards I guess and same goes for Porch or Mud area some times.

Why not have some storage space under the Garage if they excavate it already and fill it back up?
Old 2009-04-14, 02:42 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by addtemp View Post
Ok That makes sense Thank you.

So they want to keep garage in level with ground instead of roadway to Garage to be inclined upwards I guess and same goes for Porch or Mud area some times.

Why not have some storage space under the Garage if they excavate it already and fill it back up?
think of the amount of work and cost needed to create an empty space under a garage. There is ALOT of weight to support as vehicles can weight quite a bit.
Old 2009-04-14, 02:42 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by addtemp View Post
It would be necessary to do heavy-duty reinforcement in order to support the weight of the garage floor and a vehicle.
Old 2009-04-14, 03:00 PM
Regular User

yaa offcourse what was I thinking ... thanks every one ...