Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2015-10-03, 04:08 PM
Regular User

Question So I got a new roof last week...

And they put on a ridge vent. They covered all the normal black square ones with shingles and I am assuming a cover material. This is my first experience with a ridge vent.

I did a little research and I understand the airflow (soffit vent, ridge vent).

I am not sure if my roof is designed for a ridge vent however. I am asking the masses out there.

The attached pictures are from the attic and show the roof truss along one of the high points of the roof. I went through the entire attic and the roof design is the same.

Is this ok to have a ridge vent?

Here's the link if the embedded one doesn't work

http://imgur.com/a/HDbdF

http://imgur.com/a/HDbdF
Old 2015-10-03, 08:34 PM
Regular User

I would have expected the roof sheathing to have been cut back from the peak.
Old 2015-10-03, 08:38 PM
Regular User

Same as above..the ridge vent is pointless if there's no actual place for airflow to occur. The sheathing to the sides of the 2x4 at the peak should have been cut to allow for air to circulate, as it sits now you have an incomplete job.
Old 2015-10-04, 05:49 PM
Regular User

Like the others said - the roofers did not cut the roof sheathing back at the ridge so there is no venting... zero.

I would be very careful dealing with these roofers. They clearly do not know how to install the ridge vent. If they intend to do it, be very careful that their saw blade is only set to 3/8th's inch thick or 1/2 inch at the most depending on the thickness of the sheathing or they could cut your roof structure / trusses causing serious damage.

Ridge vents IMO are over rated. There are high quality powder coated metal vents readily available. Some have one sloped side to reduce snow loads.

Last edited by Halton Home Inspector; 2015-10-04 at 06:13 PM.
Old 2015-10-04, 07:23 PM
Regular User

Please post what their proposed corrective action is before you allow them to do anything.
Old 2015-10-05, 06:49 AM
Regular User

Thanks to everyone for the responses. They have said they will remediate the situation by first pulling off the ridge vent to see what is there and what is not. That's all I know so far.

They said they will come on Tuesday.
Old 2015-10-05, 07:46 AM
Regular User

It is a good thing that you actually went up there and took a look! Years from now when you would have started noticing issues this "roofing" company would have probably been out of business (I can't see how they could still be in business if they don't know that the sheathing has to be cut back before installing a ridge vent).

I would also not assume that they repaired the holes properly where the old vents were before shingling over them. You might want to look at those.
Old 2015-10-05, 10:20 AM
Regular User

Good tip. I have asked that the owner come here to review/work/supervise. I will point this out as well and ask him to take a look. He was not here for the entire job and now I have told them that he has to be here for the fix. I'll take many more "before" pictures especially of the roof trusses in case that this becomes ugly and has to go to a legal situation.
Old 2015-10-05, 01:02 PM
Regular User

i don't see where the holes for the old vents were patched. looks like a housewrap type material over the holes. they should have framed the opening and put a new piece of plywood in there.

at this point, you may be better off having him reinstall vents in the old locations and just shingling the ridge properly.
Old 2015-10-05, 02:30 PM
Regular User

Funny, on my PC I could only see the first picture and didn't notice where the holes were for the old vents. On my phone I can see all the pictures and sure enough it does look like they didn't properly repair the old holes. If there is only some sort of paper there then those areas will become noticeable (if you can see them from the ground) over time as the shingles sink a bit. Also, there is a serious safety issue there if anyone else ever has to go up on the roof. Those should definitely be fixed also.

Pretty sure I wouldn't ever want to hire these guys to do my roof!